• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report Kestrel with ATRAG ballistics

Rooster931

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 16, 2011
NY
Does anyone on here us the Kestrel with the ATRAG ballistics program. I have an older PDA that has know given up. I do not want to use a phone based program. Just wanted some opinions on likes dislikes before I go and buy a Trimble for running ballistics.

Re: Kestrel with ATRAG ballistics

- price

u can buy a "pre pay" droid for 100 or less, and run it with "shooter" 10$ with no service, and get better or the same info for a LOT less $$$$

^ agreed. I have an iPhone with bulletflight military version. I've only gotten it out to 300 yards but it was right on. I have seen a number of reports of it being accurate out to about 1500 yards, then it starts to drop off. But at the end of the day, very rarely are the shots to 1500+ first round hits anyways for most shooters. At least I've never seen it done, but that's not saying it hasn't been done. I'm sure it has.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rooster931</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does anyone on here us the Kestrel with the ATRAG ballistics program. I have an older PDA that has know given up. I do not want to use a phone based program. Just wanted some opinions on likes dislikes before I go and buy a Trimble for running ballistics. </div></div>

I have the kestrel with Atrag. I've only been out twice with it and used it on two rifles, .308 and 6.5 Grendel. I like the all in one aspect of it and it has replaced Shooter as my primary ballistics app since it has the most applicable data for my location.

You can accomplish that same thing with an android device and a cheaper kestrel using bluetooth, but i'd rather have one device with one battery to worry about. Then again I only paid $225 for my Kestrel w/Atrag =).

Vinson

I have the Kestrel with ATrag. Previous errors in the Horus program (for PDA and PC) seem to have been corrected in the software used in the Kestrel, because the numbers it gives me are much closer to reality than any other program I have used, with the exception of Exbal, which needs a PDA to run. I have not yet used Bryan Litz's Advanced Ballistics program.

I see no reason to have an extra piece of gear (PDA) when I can have it all in my Kestrel, which also, unlike the PDA, has batteries I can replace in the field. If worried about failure, one can easily carry 2.
smile.gif

Thanks for the comments guys, I do run ballistics on my phone at the range and I should have been more specific in my post as to needs.

Tigerhawk that is my opinion exactly. I would much rather have one piece of gear with batteries that I can replace in the field. The second reason I did not mention is that sometimes I really dont want my phone to ring and the way I am I would forget to silence the ringer LOL. Lets just say others have "mentioned it to me in the past that I should leave my phone in the truck"

The kestrel can automatically correct the ballistics by the environmental conditions it records, that's why I run it.

I run the Kestrel + ATRAG combo and also run Shooter for Iphone. When running these side by side, the ATRAG is within 0.1 mil out to around 800 or so (farthest I've compared the two). I had to play with the MV a bit to get the ATRAG "trued" up, but it seems to work OK for me now. For hunting, that is what I have in my bag.