• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

kestrel with bluetooth

sniperaviator

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 25, 2010
Colorado
has anyone ever used a kestrel windmeter with bluetooth? What I am interested in is placing a windmeter downrange and then picking up the reading on my droid (or other?).

Any help?

Re: kestrel with bluetooth

BT really does not have that much range, 10's of yards maybe, but not 100's. Does not seem all that practical.

Might be enough. Just enough to get it out where the wind is blowing. Anyway, I want to read the wind and then monitor it remotely, regardless of method. Kestrel supports bluetooth. Anyone tried it or any other method?

I tested the interface for FFS when Blaine wrote it. It works, you can set the update rate, put the meter on it's little stand and get a speed and direction, at least what it was for that moment at that spot.

Having tested it to see that the system functions, I'll tell you I never actually use it.

Good info. I'm being hosed by the wind (I'm not the only one). Wind changing is the biggest problem. And it changes while shooting a string of rounds. Enough to make me miss. I swear some people do seem to be telepatic with the wind. I can't reliably tell from my shooting position what it is doing. I can get close if I walk around and feel it. Closer looking at my meter. having feedback from the meter during a string would be helpful.

BT is usually a 30' radius after that the connection gets lost.

I use a 4500NV with BT, I only pull data from it on a manual command though, streaming data just burns through battery life. 5' from the PDA is the longest range I have used it in the field.

Class 1 Bluetooth has about a 100 meter range.
Class 2 is about 10 meters.

So it would depend on what class your devices support. It would be nice if there were a wifi model for this application. I think Bluetooth would be best suited for having up higher than the shooter so your readings aren't from laying on the ground.

You would be better off with wind flags or reading "stuff" in the firing range. Remember that the wind at max ord can be pretty dang high off the ground if you know what I mean. Think yards not inches. I think if you have a real wind condition, having you Kestrel out at 100 yards may actually be harmful to your purpose IMHO.