• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Kestrel with Other Solvers?

drn1234

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 11, 2011
Castle Rock Colorado
Does Kestrel have any plans to incorporate other ballistic solvers like coldbore or 4dof?

My AB version solutions is very wonky especially when adding wind. It messes with elevation and gives an unrealistic wind call.
I have cleared the kestrel and reloaded to factory settings and also deleted all guns and reentered.

It just seems way off and I don't trust it at this point.

Reactions: LastShot300
i always just use my kestrel for data then input it via bluetooth or manually into AB, TRASOL, Shooter, and or 4DOF.
not sure if that's the answer you were looking for. But that's what i do. I always have my phone on me, hunting, shooting, etc.. so its not a big deal carrying my kestrel. Plus i save 400 bucks not buying the AB model Kestrel or Sig AB model range finder... that's just me.

Does Kestrel have any plans to incorporate other ballistic solvers like coldbore or 4dof?

My AB version solutions is very wonky especially when adding wind. It messes with elevation and gives an unrealistic wind call.
I have cleared the kestrel and reloaded to factory settings and also deleted all guns and reentered.

The elevation changes from wind is cross wind jump. Many people use AB with success - it's pretty accurate as long as the inputs provide are accurate.

Are you sure you are entering everything correctly? Are you accounting/estimating the wind correctly?

Kestrel should be hearing you. Another solver is a must for it.

I have been running AB in the Kestrel for quite awhile and really had no issues until recently. Something in the last 6 months has been screwy.
I have reentered, deleted and rebooted and started over from scratch and it just seems off.

I do not like to use phones etc because they will overheat or battery eats up. I like it in the kestrel because it eliminates that as well as I like having less devices to mess with. If I have to carry a Kestrel I like it to multitask.

I have been running AB in the Kestrel for quite awhile and really had no issues until recently. Something in the last 6 months has been screwy.
I have reentered, deleted and rebooted and started over from scratch and it just seems off.

I do not like to use phones etc because they will overheat or battery eats up. I like it in the kestrel because it eliminates that as well as I like having less devices to mess with. If I have to carry a Kestrel I like it to multitask.

I'd like to understand what has changed with your solutions within the last 6 months to make them "wonky". Can you email me your gun profile setup and some examples of the issue to [email protected]?

I'd like to understand what has changed with your solutions within the last 6 months to make them "wonky". Can you email me your gun profile setup and some examples of the issue to [email protected]?

Absolutely, be happy to. It probably won't be until this weekend if that ok. Crazy week of work ahead.

I put you on my calendar with a reminder for Saturday morning

Last edited: