• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing KG paint on hard chrome

Re: KG paint on hard chrome

Would likely take a complete stripping of the HC, via media blasting.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tbag</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Would likely take a complete stripping of the HC, via media blasting.</div></div>

Really!? That sucks!!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: firemarshall27</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is there any other paint/coatings that would stick to the hard chrome without stripping? </div></div>

I'm betting that you'll have to have the HC stripped before you will be able to apply any paint/coating/finish like KG/Cerakote/etc. to the exterior of the firearm. I mean, technically, while you could probably coat over top of the HC, whatever you try to apply won't likely adhere to the HC'd surfaces very well and will look like hell in no time flat.

The only application I have heard about working over HC is IonBond, which like dear Mr. Ford said, you can get in any color you like as long as its black! Check with Springer Precision on the IonBond PVD application and see if they can help you out.

I tried KG over HC after roughing the surface up in the blast cabinet. It came out good, but doesn't hold up for shit. I didn't want to break through the HC so the roughing didn't get as deep as it should have and its the first time I have ever seen KG chip/flake off something. You'll need to lose the HC, either strip it or find a non coated part. Good luck.

Glass bead it to dull it and give it the matte stainless look.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kenda</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Glass bead it to dull it and give it the matte stainless look.</div></div>

Its already dull looking but its still silver.

My question would be... Why ruin a good thing. That gun is perfect just the way it is! So if it aint broke dont fix it.
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: firemarshall27</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How hard is the HC to remove? will it mess up the checkering and how about the slide its a pretty tight fit? </div></div>

If you decide that you want to strip the chrome off, You will need Muriatic Acid. It can be found at a swimming pool supply store.

Submerge the parts completely and let them soak in a well ventilated area until the chrome is removed. Remove from the acid and rinse thoroughly with water. Any small areas of chrome that remain will be noticeable and can be removed with blasting or polishing. The tolerances should not be affected as the chrome plating should be very thin and will react with the acid much faster than the base metal. DO NOT put anything aluminum in the acid to strip.

Id rather see it stripped off chemically before I were to spray it, especially on a pistol with all the checkering and what not. Blasting will take the bulk of it off, but there will still be some left where the grit is too large to reach.

I have a shop nearby that I used to take all my ugly chrome chopper parts to be stripped, somewhat pricey and theyre not an FFL so I dont know how that would go over.