• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Kicking around the idea of a new rifle...

Togeneral99

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 9, 2010
Lynchburg, Virginia
I tried the search function, and as always it turns up crap.

So anyways...I'm thinking of gettin a new Remington 700 SPS chambered in 300 RUM and was just wondering from those that have one or have shot one whether you guys would recommend it.

What would be the first modifications you would do also? (I am thinking a muzzle brake would be very nice and appreciated, not to mention a good trigger)

So lets hear what you guys think!

Re: Kicking around the idea of a new rifle...

Don't do like I did. Buy the one that was on sale and expect to build it cheaper. In other words buy the time you spend the money on an aftermarket stock that's bedded and an adjustable trigger, you could have bought the SPS Tactical, or SPS P. That is of course in the flavor of .308.

i have a custom 300rum that i use for hunting and love it. it packs a punch out there quite a ways. right now i'm shooting the 185VLD, but the 210's are impressive for long range.

i bought a CDL, and ended up building a custom, wish i would have started with a custom as i would have saved a lot of money.

the 3 things i did to the factory gun were trigger job, brake and bedding job. it shot ok.

i would get a brake if i were you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chiller</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Why the 300 RUM?

</div></div>

+1, why? there are many more calibers that are barrel life friendly.

lov-
how far out have you taken what species of game with the RUM? Always curious what needed more power and at what distance. The RUM was just too much of a good thing for me, never could shoot one enough to feel confident about it in a wieght I would use as a hunting rifle.

300 WM is about as hard kicking as I wished to go and really didnt need that much power or distance where I hunt so its the 308 for me.

Ok as for why the 300 RUM...Quick and simple...I want it.
Longer answer...Ballistics, don't care about barrel life (it will probably never see 1000 rounds), I own a 308 and a 375 H&H and would like a light tactical/Hunting rifle to span the gap between these 2. I'm going to handload the price of ammo really doesn't bother me much.

What does bother me is excessive recoil, I'm not recoil shy but I don't like getting beat up I enjoy shooting..did you guys have a break on your 300 win mag?

If you guys have any alternate caliber suggestions I'm open to hear them, but these are my reasonings behind wanting to get this.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Togeneral99</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ok as for why the 300 RUM...Quick and simple...I want it.
Longer answer...Ballistics, don't care about barrel life (it will probably never see 1000 rounds), I own a 308 and a 375 H&H and would like a light tactical/Hunting rifle to span the gap between these 2. I'm going to handload the price of ammo really doesn't bother me much.

What does bother me is excessive recoil, I'm not recoil shy but I don't like getting beat up I enjoy shooting..did you guys have a break on your 300 win mag?

If you guys have any alternate caliber suggestions I'm open to hear them, but these are my reasonings behind wanting to get this. </div></div>

How about the awesome 300 Win to bridge the gap.

I have a Remington 700 in 300 RUM. The rifle weighed like 6 or 7 lbs. After shooting it a couple of times with 180 grain Noslers going around 3200 fps, I realized a muzzle brake was a necessity. The recoil was so sharp that it gave a a sore shoulder after just a couple of shots. Barrel life sucks but if its for hunting who cares. The RUM is a long range killing machine. Shoots a 208 grain amax amazingly at some astonishing velocities. Did I mention it is friggin expensive to shoot too. At 104 grains of 50 bmg powder a round, a pound of powder doesn't go far. Brass is also fairly expensive and sometimes hard to find. Luckily I bought 1000 cases, mostly because I am looney though.

Lets just say I tend to go for the overkill aspect of things and I like the different stuff. Last season I toted the 375 H&H for whitetails - some people use a 30-30 I like 300 grain bullets
grin.gif

104 grains..thats it?
wink.gif
- I'm using the same powder for my 50BMG and a light load is 215gr (roughly 35 rounds to a pound)

I could see the advantage of the 300 win mag as far as brass is concerned. I plan on buying a few hundred cases once I get the gun and holding onto them as long as I can.

As far as recoil is concerned, I definately plan on using a muzzle brake and this will not be the lightest of guns (375 is ~10-12 lbs) I am hoping to have this fit the bill of a long range hunter suitable for moose and elk (should I ever feel so inclined to take a trip to hunt these animals) I have contemplated the idea of an alaskan hunt and this is also being taken into account.