• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

kid friendly / loaner match rifle

Pocket

Monkey with a gun
Supporter
Minuteman
Jun 20, 2019
Baton Rouge, La
so i fell into a assist match director roll for .22 PRS at a local range for me. ive been shooting PRS for about 3 years now my 11 year old nephew has expressed interest in the spot but my rig is WAY to heavy for him currently, and the idea of a "loaner" rifle in my kit as we have people come by and ask questions during matches/practices doesn't seem like a bad idea.

thinking a CZ BA in a boyds AT one stock? tho i like the full mag of my vudoo. i think a vudoo "loaner" or maybe even a bergara might be pushing my budget a little. any suggestions?

maybe if my custom foundation stock sells i can open splurge some..

I mean, sounds like the right track. I would actually say the only real requirement is adjustable length of pull and MAYBE comb height...
I coach NRA rimfire 3 position, aperature sights are required. The kids that had to have an AT one stock can’t get the comb low enough for iron sites. Not familiar with PRS but assume it is scope only?

I coach NRA rimfire 3 position, aperature sights are required. The kids that had to have an AT one stock can’t get the comb low enough for iron sites. Not familiar with PRS but assume it is scope only?
yea we shoot out to 400 yrds using a scope, and its positional so we are throwing it on top of barrels, through ladder runs on "roof top" barricades so they need to be able to safely hold/manipulate the gun. a Gym membership for my nephew might be the most cost effective path. get him off this damn nintendo switch

A CZ, Tikka or Bergara in an XLR chassis would work perfectly for this

I have to agree that an adjustable stock is almost a must if different people will be shooting the rifle. A proper fit goes a long way to help.

Now let me go put my flame resistant NOMEX suit on for my next comment.

If you are wanting to save some money and still have a decent rifle then look at one of the Savage MkII rifles with the heavy varmint barrels. All of the ones I own shoot very well.

Reactions: Brockett
CZ at-one is hard to beat for the price, just hard to find currently due to something outside CZ’s control, but you could grab a 457 varmint and place it in an at-one. Could also do a BMR in an at-one, which would allow you to run a 700 pattern trigger to allow quick adjustments to pull weight.

10/22 pattern gun in a KRG bravo. Cost effective, a fine starter - may not be top tier, but that isn’t what a loaner gun needs to be. The short LOP on the KRG is fine for kids, and with the tool less lop kit can adjust for bigger people.

I’ll def look at the KRG - tho prefer bolt action. But that KRG chassis sound like could be a winnee

I’ll def look at the KRG - tho prefer bolt action. But that KRG chassis sound like could be a winnee
For a loaner gun, I really think the CZ, Tikka or 10/22 are classics and its hard to go wrong. The slightly more nuanced part is finding a stock or chassis that fits a wide variety of body types (especially the grip, not just LOP), and comes out of the box properly balanced, without a ton of cost/weight.

We have a couple Ruger Precision Rimfires with Athlons. Picked them both up for $375. Not real heavy and fully adjustable for LOP and comb height. With SK+ or CCI SV they both reliable and accurate enough to make kids smile.