• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Kidd 1022 16.5" vs 20"

Brian o 23

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Nov 12, 2018
Trying to finalize my 1022 build any suggestion on barrel length 16.5" vs 20" some say accuracy is best at 16.5" but I like to hear real world opinions on this topic.
This is what I first plan. Barrel action sitting in a Victor Titan stock and topped with and Athlon Midas Tac 6-24x50 APRS3 recticle.
I have the stock and scope right now. The 1022 will for Club 22lr matches some bench, prone and barricade.
Any suggestion before ordering would be great.
SUPERGrade RECEIVER COLOR: Black
Barrel Length, Finish, and Muzzle Threading Option: 16.5" Match SS .920" Polished
additional muzzle brake: no thanks
Trigger unit: two stage black with red straight trigger blade - 306.87
TRIGGER PULL WEIGHT SETTING: two stage 12oz/12oz= 1.5lbs (mid weight target-plinking)
MAGAZINE RELEASE LEVER: extended (medium)
BOLT COLOR & FINISH: silver scalloped - 109.95
BOLT HANDLE ASSEMBLY OPTION: Silver with Black Viton - 29.94
Paramount Torque Limiting Screwdriver for the KIDD Supergrade Premium : No Thank You
2nd MOA SCOPE BASE (interchangeable with installed Zero MOA base): 20 MOA 32.95

I was playing with auto cad and made a quick 50 Yard Mil target please check my measurements and print as many as you want.

Attachments

• 50 Yard Mil target Crest 1.pdf
    276.3 KB · Views: 122
If you're getting the supergrade, I'd go ahead and spend the $25 for the torque limiting screwdriver. Being able to put the screw back to the factory specified torque is what provides the ability to remove and reinsert the barrel and keep the same point of impact.

While it'll take a little time to acclimate if you are accustomed to a heavier trigger pull, my favorite weight on the Kidd 2-stage trigger is 8 ounce / 8 ounce.

You'll hear different opinions from individuals and the manufacturers on what is the best 22LR length. For example, Feddersen states the 16.25 inch barrel is the most accurate barrel they make while Kidd says the 18 inch. Personally I'd get the barrel length that works well for your usage case. I went with the (Feddersen) 16.25 because it'll be easier to deal with certain barricades such as the ladder.

If you're getting the supergrade, I'd go ahead and spend the $25 for the torque limiting screwdriver. Being able to put the screw back to the factory specified torque is what provides the ability to remove and reinsert the barrel and keep the same point of impact.

While it'll take a little time to acclimate if you are accustomed to a heavier trigger pull, my favorite weight on the Kidd 2-stage trigger is 8 ounce / 8 ounce.

You'll hear different opinions from individuals and the manufacturers on what is the best 22LR length. For example, Feddersen states the 16.25 inch barrel is the most accurate barrel they make while Kidd says the 18 inch. Personally I'd get the barrel length that works well for your usage case. I went with the (Feddersen) 16.25 because it'll be easier to deal with certain barricades such as the ladder.
Thanks for the advice. Our club matches are with and without the barricade so the 16.5 is what I will order. Also the torque limiting screwdriver was now on the order.
You do like the 8oz / 8oz ? Any more thoughts on that?

Good choice on the Supergrade option. I have been surprised how often I swap 3 barrels (16" SS bull, 18" lightweight and a 20" SS tapered) around between my 2 supergrade receivers the last couple years. At first I thought my Lightweight barrel was a dud and was going to warranty it as It was shooting .800" or larger at 50 yards and the other 2 were well under .500" . I then got the torque driver from KIDD and that solved the problem, the lightweight barrel occasionally shoots .250" groups now. I am amazed what a difference the torque driver produced.

For your use I'd just stick with a 16.5" SS threaded barrel. Shooting all 3 off the bench I don't see any practical differences between the lengths accuracy wise. IF you were going to do a benchrest only I'd say a 20" bull barrel, but it is just unnecessary weight you dont need for field or NRL barricade work. When you get a suppressor, the shorter barrel helps keep it easier to handle and maneuver through stages of fire that require position movement.

I'd also suggest getting the black colored bolt over the silver one, the finish on my black bolt is "slicker" and easier to clean compared to the silver one. It also shows no sigh of wear through the black, even on the sliding surfaces after approx 3800 rounds.

Cleaning the rifle is so much easier with the SG barrel system.

Be advised that KIDD does not sell the "modified for SG Magpul X22 stock with rear tang inlet and bedded" separately, it is only available as a complete rifle order. I like the Magpul X22 and used that as justification to get a second SG rifle after selling off a KIDD standard slip fit barrel rifle.

I've got 3 of the Kidd 2-stage triggers: two are 8 ounce/8 ounce and the other is a 3 ounce/3 ounce. I prefer the 8 ounce break for NLR22. If you are used to a heavier trigger, the 3 ounce break is just too light to start off and can cause accidental discharges. Even the 8 ounce break is going to take some acclimation, but you should get the hang of it rather quickly. While you can adjust the Kidd 2-stage yourself, Kidd will change the trigger pull for the cost of shipping only.

One bad thing about the Kidd 2-stage... you'll hate any stock 10/22 trigger after using the Kidd and may end up like me buying multiples at $300 a pop.

Reactions: RandomWAguy
One bad thing about the Kidd 2-stage... you'll hate any stock 10/22 trigger after using the Kidd and may end up like me buying multiples at $300 a pop.
[/QUOTE]
My gun smith told me when he put a Jewel trigger on my first Centerfire build (Don't blame me if you have to put a Jewel on all your Centerfires. I did ). I have a Kidd 2 stage on both of my 10-22's. Like BAT Centerfire actions says " Buy the best and only Cry once"

Mark

Thanks for all the great advice. Barrel action on order 16.5" barrel 8 oz / 8oz trigger black bolt and can't wait to shoot it. Anyone know the torque for the Victor titan stock to this barrel action?

I have a KIDD 16.5 & 20. Shooting them has shown the 16.5 to be more accurate. Shooting SK Rifle Match I get .25 - .30 groups at 50 yards.

Thanks for the advice. Our club matches are with and without the barricade so the 16.5 is what I will order. Also the torque limiting screwdriver was now on the order.
The Kidd 2 stage is the trigger all others aspire to be. This trigger is absolutely worth the extra $. I have a 8/8 and love it. It is not too light. The second stage is solid. U will love it

Anyone know the torque for the Victor titan stock to this barrel action?

In my Victor Titan with the Kidd receiver, I'm using the Victor rear anchor:

https://victorcompanyusa.com/kidd-compatible-anchor

Both screws are torqued to 20 pounds. I tried a little higher torque settings on the action screw and ended up putting it back to 20 which appears to be the sweet spot for my setup. Your mileage may vary!

Ya'll have provided great input I feel I made the right choices with all your help. Thanks