• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Kidd Barrel and Trigger for my 10/22 or CZ Varmint?

Randoman5

Minuteman
Jul 29, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
I currently have a base 10/22 I put into a tapco stock. I originally intended it to be a fairly close range plinking rifle but after hitting some targets at 200+ yards with it I was hooked on longer range shooting.

I'm not particularly pleased with it's accuracy and have come to hate the trigger. I've read that Kidd barrels will make a 10/22 extremely accurate and that their trigger job kit will make a 10/22 trigger world class. People say they wish Kidd made triggers for their center fire rifles.

So my question is do you think I should get the upgrades for my 10/22, or keep it as a cheap toy and get a more purpose specific 22 like a CZ 455 Varmint for longer range shooting?

I realize that there are subjective aspects to this question, but I want to know what you'd prefer to have.

Thanks

I have both a KIDD modified 10/22 and a CZ 455 varminter. I prefer the CZ. Don't get me wrong I like my 10/22 but my CZ is more fun to shoot at distance. Both are highly modified and accurate. It's all personal preference for me.

"ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ"

I've got a couple good shooting 10/22's, (and one I can't seem to get to run right, but that's another story). The only thing in them that is actually Ruger is the magazine. Kidd makes great barrels, and a fantastic trigger.

Long story short, my wife was shooting my 10/22 (which consists of several Kidd products), last weekend while we were shooting Sage Rats in Southern Oregon. Her longest confirmed kill was 206yds as ranged with my Leica 1600, and she went out to fetch it so she could get a picture of it. She did give it two "warning shots" as the wind was blowing (5 1/2 mils in her scope), and I still say there was an large element of luck involved. Although her first shot was only about three inches too high and lacked about four inches of wind, and the second was half that, the third went "SMACK".

Bottom line...you can NEVER go wrong with Kidd products. Also their customer service is great. Fedderson, and Benchmark barrels are more accurate in my opinion with the ammo they like, Kidd is better overall with every type of ammo.

In my opinion, I'd do both...actually, I have do have both. I've got a 10/22 which still has the Ruger receiver and magazine, but the guts, trigger and barrel is Kidd. It hammers. I also have a CZ, although mine is a 452 Varmint. Once I fixed the trigger, it is a really nice shooter. My wife and oldest daughter prefer the 10/22. I use them both a lot, it just depends on the mood I'm in and what I'm doing that day.

Chris