• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Kidney stones!

NTK

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 5, 2011
North Texas
I don't wish them on anybody I had to go to the ER last night. I didn't have a clue to what was going on the pain was beyond words! Thank gawd for morphine and hydrocodone I thought I was dying but im better now.

Re: Kidney stones!

Had a guy in the stall next to me double over into the fetal position about 7 years ago. The ambulance picked him up off the ground and he came back 2 days later. Said it was the worst pain he had ever experienced. Time to start drinking grape or cranberry juice.

OK While we're on that - will cranberry juice break them up?

I do a once a year gallstone flush, requires drinking APPLE juice a week prior to the olive oil/lemon juice flush....(Oh it's gross but it does the job)......

We have minerals in our water, so I fear I could get one someday.

A guy at work said same thing, worst pain he ever had, and then they found prostrate cancer when he was in for that - do uble whammy.

I was told to drink a bottle of grapefruit juice once every month. Snapple. It will help keep them dissolved. Stay away from dark sodas. Doc said they were about the worst. Also, it you get them, you are very prone to keep getting them. I had them about 10 years ago. I thought I had a hornets nest up the dinger. Have not had them since. I still drink soda's, but not like I used to.

Where do I start? I'm not going to get into the details again, of my experience.

Suffice to say, "most" kidney stones (as said by an analyst in a lab) consist of "Calcium Oxylate". The kidney (as a rule) does NOT process out Calcium. Except when one's salt levels are too high. Then, and only then, as the Sodium Chloride is is being filtered out of the bloodstream, then the Calcium is taken as well. And it bonds with other elements/"sub-elements to form crystals.

Not unlike the crystals that you made back in science class, about grades 4 to 6 depending on location. Generally they were made out of Copper Sulphate, or simple table-salt. And they grew quickly, remember?

The most prominent manner to 'prevent' kidney stones, is to keep the salt intake down. There's generally enough salt in the food already, that more doesn't need to be added at the table.

Secondly, and more importantly,,, DRINK WATER. The more you drink, the better your kidneys AND your system will be. It won't hurt you. And keeping solutions diluted is the ABSOLUTE KEY to preventing stones.

Remember, those crystals grow 3 dimensionally. And they are Multi-Faceted. Run with that picture in your head, do the math, and go with that.

Now go have a nice tall glass of water.

I found out about stones when I moved to Phoenix, I drink a shitload of water and it turns out the tap water has high calcium and mineral content.

I took the pain for a couple days until my roommate came home one day to me withering on the floor in pain and took me to the hospital. Got some painkillers and waited to piss them out.

Started drinking bottled water only and after a year of that got sick of the cost and decided to try the PUR filter on the faucet, found out the hard way that PUR doesn't purify shit. Exactly one year later I'm back in the ER with three stones.

Stones are one of those things that nobody knows why some people get them some don't. The doctor just ask's about you're diet and says ok since you drink or eat so much of such and such that that's what caused it.

Been three years now since my last episode, I've taken a couple rounds and would gladly take a couple more over getting stones again.

Sounds like another post for Mens Health thread

Pssing a stone was once described to me as being 'like giving birth to a Nation'...

Doc said it can be numerous things, first two things that came out of his mouth was soda and calcium from tap water. Im going to do my best to stay away from the sodas and start drinking bottled water. I Don't ever want to experience that again, the nurse that was treating me said she's been married to her husband for six yrs and the first time she seen him cry was when a kidney stone was trying to pass.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ArcticLight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">OK While we're on that - will cranberry juice break them up?

I do a once a year gallstone flush, requires drinking APPLE juice a week prior to the olive oil/lemon juice flush....(Oh it's gross but it does the job)......

A guy at work said same thing, worst pain he ever had, and then they found prostrate cancer when he was in for that - do uble whammy. </div></div>

Same here. I went in for extreme pain, they found two stones, and during a later during blood test, I had prostate cancer. I had surgery but the cancer had already spread, I've gone through 8 weeks of radiation and waiting now for more tests to see if the cancer has been stopped.

Guy's, get to a doctor for an exam. It's not a pleasant thought, nor is it comfortable, but it may prevent what I've gone through already and also the anxiety of my family.

I've not heard that cranberry juice breaks them up. Cranberry juice is rated high for keeping the urinary tract clean though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: boomboomthump</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ArcticLight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">OK While we're on that - will cranberry juice break them up?

A guy at work said same thing, worst pain he ever had, and then they found prostrate cancer when he was in for that - do uble whammy. </div></div>

Same here. I went in for extreme pain, they found two stones, and during a later during blood test, I had prostate cancer. I had surgery but the cancer had already spread, I've gone through 8 weeks of radiation and waiting now for more tests to see if the cancer has been stopped.

Guy's, get to a doctor for an exam. It's not a pleasant thought, nor is it comfortable, but it may prevent what I've gone through already and also the anxiety of my family.

I've not heard that cranberry juice breaks them up. Cranberry juice is rated high for keeping the urinary tract clean though. </div></div>

If you havent read it check the thread on Mens Health. Theres good stuff for the Prostate. Good luck to you.

Had one episode a couple years ago, I best describe it as " getting hit alternately in the nuts and the back with a baseball bat.... with .... every..... heartbeat......

Tried to gut through it - came on at 4 am. Went to work, then it got really bad on the drive in. Got there, had someone drive me to ER. The usual characters there - nurse took one look at me, bypassed the illegal alien snifflers, got my BP/pulse. Five minutes later - the blessed Diluadid arrived. Two minutes after that, relief. Luckily, passed it later that day.

Curiously, had skipped lunch both of the previous two days, too busy. Not a big deal, but I don't drink much during the day except at lunch, then I water up like a camel. Don't know if it was related, but I make sure to drink more during the day now. And I keep a bottle of vicodin around just in case!!! If I ever got those at Man Camp, well.... it is two plus hours to any medical care. Not taking the chance.

Renal Calculi are often said to be the worst pain in medicine.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sean the Nailer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Where do I start? I'm not going to get into the details again, of my experience.

Suffice to say, "most" kidney stones (as said by an analyst in a lab) consist of "Calcium Oxylate". The kidney (as a rule) does NOT process out Calcium. Except when one's salt levels are too high. Then, and only then, as the Sodium Chloride is is being filtered out of the bloodstream, then the Calcium is taken as well. And it bonds with other elements/"sub-elements to form crystals.

Not unlike the crystals that you made back in science class, about grades 4 to 6 depending on location. Generally they were made out of Copper Sulphate, or simple table-salt. And they grew quickly, remember?

The most prominent manner to 'prevent' kidney stones, is to keep the salt intake down. There's generally enough salt in the food already, that more doesn't need to be added at the table.

Secondly, and more importantly,,, DRINK WATER. The more you drink, the better your kidneys AND your system will be. It won't hurt you. And keeping solutions diluted is the ABSOLUTE KEY to preventing stones.

Remember, those crystals grow 3 dimensionally. And they are Multi-Faceted. Run with that picture in your head, do the math, and go with that.

Now go have a nice tall glass of water.</div></div>

+1..

I've had kidney stones and i have surgery tommorrow to remove them... What was said above is 100%.... DRINK water and lots of it and hope fo rht ebest, once you get them you alwasy get them, its scares the inside up and creates locations for them to sit an dbuild up....After surgery, its like pissing glass out the end of your dick...

you know how i got them, the VA prescibe med's tha tthe sid effect was kidney stones and i found that out and they didn't even bother to tell me... go figure.... Bene dealign with them off and on for hte past 10 years....

Good luck...

I got my first stone in 1972, it hurt worse then getting my balls cought in a bear trap. I had three small ones come out in the past 5 weeks. Been in the OR 4 times and have had over 200 stones on record. Have tried everything suggested to me by countless Doctors and others and nothing works except very strong drugs. I had one get cought abt 1" before it would have exited, i met the ambulance on the road i didnt want to miss the ride. 15 min later in goes the good stuff and i didnt give a dam who took it out man woman or janater. When i woke up i saw this thing in a jar on the night stand it was HUGE the nurse told me later that it was the biggest one they had ever seen that got that far down. My johnson stopped working for a while after that. Yes they do HURT even the small ones.

I feel everyones pain. Ive had about 4 or 5 stone attacks. Worst was on a flight from Phoenix to Dallas. Couldnt get comfortable in the airplane.
2009 I had a procedure called lithotripsy. Out patient treatment at the hospital. They knock you out and blast the stones with sound waves and they shatter. Piss them out as sand. Procedure is painless but your kidney area will be sore for a couple of days. First and second time you piss, it looks like tomato juice, heavy blood in the urine. It will get rid of the stones you have and then you change your diet and liquid intake to keep them away. I was worth it not to have the sudden pain when you least expect it.

Been there,done that X3 and got the T Shirt. Now that you had them,you'll know when they are coming back too.
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NTK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Doc said it can be numerous things, first two things that came out of his mouth was soda and calcium from tap water. Im going to do my best to stay away from the sodas and start drinking bottled water. I Don't ever want to experience that again, the nurse that was treating me said she's been married to her husband for six yrs and the first time she seen him cry was when a kidney stone was trying to pass.</div></div>

The first stone is only practice for the next one........ I'm coming due for my 6th one. I also carry in my pocket every day enough pain pills that they will have to pour me into the ED the next time. I thought I was a tough dude.......WRONG!

I pray I never go through it again, but now that im reading these post im freaking out again!

Got my first one at 21 y.o. 3 days out of the Army. Pain started with what felt like a little pinch on my back left side (kidney area) when I bent over to pick up a sock. 45 minutes later I was on my way to the hospital. Girlfriend (now wife) who was on Vicodin meds since her wisdom teeth were pulled out the day before had to pick me up and load me into the truck to drive me to the hospital. I could feel the pain migrate around as the stone moved through my pee pee tube. 2 hits of Demerol (sp?) got the pain under control. Hell my vasectomy wasn't anywhere in the ballpark as painful.

I changed up my diet, and I drink a lot of water. I'm sure i'll get another one at some point, i'll just tough it out if I can, I hate hospitals. They wait until you are just about asleep waiting on them, and then they show up.

Branden

Our municipal water is from wells, and they've opened up a couple of new ones lately that leave a lot of scale behind in the plumbing and pots, etc.

We recently bought a Filtrete Filter Station that allows tap waster to be filtered into (their proprietary) 1/2 liter water bottles. At least it tends to taste a little better.

Can't say whether it's a solution, but that filter sure dumps a lot of solid crap when I back flush it. Better in the filter than in the gut, I say.

I was told that the reason cranberry juice works is that it's acidic, and this helps the system flush out excess mineral accumulations.

Well, my understanding from all those 'tooth enamel' saver comercials is that most beverages are already excessively acidic, so cranberry juice may not be the only best beverage in town.

I would also suggest, after reading that the largest single source of Vitamin C in the world is human urine; that maybe chumping down on all those vitamin/mineral supplements might have something to do with the problem's source. My doctor suggests that they may do good; and if they don't, at least the body excretes what it doesn't need in the urine. But then again, maybe that's not the best thing for folks who already have a tendency to accumulate stones.

It took the human species probably a couple of hundred thousand years to adapt to its environment; and maybe modern fad pseudo medicine is not so much a good thing as a useless thing. I mean, how long have vitamin/mineral supplements been around anyway? If Darwin was still around, he would probably be asking questions like that.

Modern medicine is a good thing, as I have ample cause to recognize. But a lot of what's going on these days appears to be aimed at 'perfecting the species', genetically, medically, and as a society.

Folks who seek such goals would seem to me to have an awfully large amount of faith in the ability of this species to do anything lasting, especially within a single generation. So how about the folks who promise miracles within a four year term? Right...!

So maybe the best thing that could happen with such endeavors might very well be nothing; and maybe the best thing we can do is stop suspending our political disbelief and spit out all that carefully rendered snake oil.

Folks who read the future are usually considered nutzo, so how about folks who swear by making it into their own chosen image? I consider most of them egomaniacs at best. I figure the species, as a whole, could probably get a lot more useful stuff done if it stopped chasing its tail trying to do such so much with such futile projects.

When folks talk about make-work, smoke and mirrors, and the opiates of the masses, they just may have a point.

The species seems to be rudderless. No matter who's in charge, nothing gets done until somebody actually works the rudder.

Me, I wouldn't want that job. To much flak in the air. Too many zelots on a mission. Too many happy warriors. Too many societally motivated about-to be-suicides waiting in the wings to take the rudder workers with them. We let this stuff survive and thrive in the interests of concepts like 'tolerance', and 'diversity'.

Maybe the best thing to do with malcontents is to...

Hell; if I knew that answer, I'd probably be President, and why would I want to go and do a stupic thing like that? Makes me wonder about them who'd want to... Still; the news is full of stuff about them that want to preside over the BIG asylum.

Maybe the best thing about them folks is that we tend to keep them mostly all in one place, where we could keep an eye on them should we be so inclined. It's the campaigning that bothers me most, when they tend to spread out and start messin' directly with the regular folks.

Now <span style="font-style: italic">that's</span> the <span style="font-style: italic">real</span> bad Juju.

...rambling rant off...

Greg

Interesting, Greg, but....get some rest.
grin.gif

The only way I can describe them was like Bruce Lee kicking you in the balls continually, while Chuck Norris is kidney punching you, and you don't get to fight back, while feeling like you have to throw up it hurts so bad. Diet Diet Diet, and I am so stupid I really have not changed my diet other then no soda

I agree they suck!!! I woke up 4am, sat straight up in PAIN and sweating like a $2 whore on payday in July. I walked the floor for 2 hours. Pain kept on and on. Wife finally woke up and asks me if I wanted to go to the hospital. NAH, I got this as I was bent over doing the "I’m going to die groan". About 25 second after that the vomiting started. OFF to the hospital we go. After the X-rays they gave me 3 options. He can go up the P-hole and get it out, laser bust it up, or pain pills and wait for it to pass. I opted for pain pills and pass it. The DR told me it would be no longer than 24 hours and it would be out. I also had to piss in a screened funnel to catch it for testing. Well 10am the next day it hit the funnel, talk about getting a little week in the knees for a few seconds. Blood out the P-hole will do that to you plus the sound of it hitting the plastic on the funnel. it was a small one at 4mm.took it in and the Dr gave me a anti-inflammatory and I was good to go. I truly have never hurt so much. I wouldn’t wish them on ANYONE ever.

I showed it to everyone for the rest of the day at work. Like a newborn baby.

The worst part abt having a stone is if the stone is large and gets cought between the kidney and bladder. It will stop the flow of piss and if not cought in time kidney will start to die. Thats when the doctors put a sewer pipe up youy crank up to the stone then insert a plastic tube between the stone and the tissue so the kidney flow will start again.But there is more fun to come when they take it out and you are not on drugs. The first time it happined to me, when the doc was taking it out i thought he was starting a boat motor he pulled and pulled until the tube came out, then he pryed me off the celling. I wish this on only ose person. guess who

i know ur pain too had my first one on fathers day, I had no idea what was going on, all i know is my pecker was getting these sharp pains like some one was touching a 9volt battery to it, then the side pain hit me was on my knees swetting like a pig, and throwing up, wife called ambulance and they halled me down to the er, and got some good drugs and passed it about 3am, hope never get another one either

I wonder if there is something that can minimize them before they get big....

I know there's a chinese grass combined wiht apple juice that will soften gallstones (Girlfriend is going through this one now).....but not so sure on Kidney stones.

I have a lot of calcium in my water too.....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ArcticLight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I wonder if there is something that can minimize them before they get big....

I know there's a chinese grass combined wiht apple juice that will soften gallstones (Girlfriend is going through this one now).....but not so sure on Kidney stones.

I have a lot of calcium in my water too..... </div></div>

Beer! Just don't get carried away and drink to much of it, just 1 or 2 a night. This is a home remedy, not professional medical advise! So take it as that.

I had a a stone last year for the first time. My experience was not the normal back/side pain. One day i just starting pissing blood. I mean dark dark blood. Then later that day my balls got infected. My Dr said the the stones passed down and then got stuck. Thats what made my balls get infected and piss blood. I had a 6mm and 5mm stone near or in my bladder. Anothe Dr put me on Flowmax which is used to help you tinkle if you have problems in that area. Well that Flowmax opened up my plumbing so well that i passed both stones at once while working. I had my little strainer and boom. No pain at all. I would ask your Dr about Flowmax as an option for the ease of passing the stones. I small sexual side effect but I wasnt having sex in the shape I was in anyway. The side effect was you shoot blanks untill you are off the med. You then pee out your seman about 10 min later. Too much info? LOL.

My Dr said that besides soda, its all that powder that we put in our water for flavor. SO no Crystal light and only real brewed ice tea

Plenty of water no sodas, doctor gave me a list of things that can help and things to avoid.
-Wheat
-Rice
-Barley and beans
-Increase the amount of fruits and vegetables(especially those high in potassium).

Things to limit or avoid!
-Limit salt intake 2-3 grams a day
-Limit spinach, rhubarb, peanuts,cashews and almonds, grapefruit and grapefruit juice.
-Reducing the amount of animal meat "not gonna happen with me".
-If you take vitamin C as a supplement, do not take more than 1,000 mg per day

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mexican match</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I wish this on only ose person. guess who </div></div>

Shankster?

My mother had them, it was hard to watch her in pain, my son's doc told us to watch his milk, cheese etc (calcium intake) so he would not get them.

Guys for almost 40 years i have tried everything that has bees suggested to me from cranberry juice to limon juice in water. Tried blueberry juice, herbs from a chinese doctor, a mixture of i dont know what from a medicine women and on and on and nothing has worked. I have been to several hospitals for studies, must have given a gallon of blood, had die in my vains fingers pushing my body ect, ect. It boils down to some people no mater what they take or do are going to get thim FACT others may have only one in a life time. All are bodies are differant so what works for one may not work for another. I am so tired of taking pills that have side effects i just threw them all away and live my way. When one starts to make me feel bad i go to the hospital and get a shot of good stuff and wait. rant over. MM

I had 2 in the early 90's and I pray I never have another one. The last one was to big for them to get out and where it was located, they couldnt bust it either.
Doc puts a stent in me from my kidney to my bladder. 2 weeks later I go back in, they pull the stint out and get the bolder out.
Doc puts another stent in with a string tied on the end of it, anyone want to guess where the other end of that string hung out??? You got it, the pee hole!

2 Weeks later I go back to the doc and he uses the string to pull the stent out, surprisingly it didnt hurt at all but for 3 weeks, everytime I took a leak I passed a blood clot and let me tell you, there like passing a stone!

I pray I never have to do that again, it SUCKS!!!!!