• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Kids hunting rifle?

zr600

Private
Minuteman
Nov 12, 2019
I’m looking to build a rifle for my kids. I’m proably going to do a 7mm ss. I know it’s a magnum I have talked with Ritch on this and he has his grandson at 10 shooting a 6.5sst with 120s loaded light with a fast powder. So I’m wondering what barrel contour I should go with. I’m thinking a #4 Brux then twisted flutes, muzzle break possibly. Now for a stock I was thinking of just using a Remington youth model stock. Was going to build off an bighorn origin action. Do you think this rifle would be lite enough and balanced well for youth to shoot? I want it to be something they can grow into. I would get a better stock when she would out grow the youth stock. I know Bell n Carlson makes a youth model stock but I’m not sure on the weight of it. Plus I don’t know what the resale would be on it either. I’m not out much buying the cheap Remington factory stock you can get them for roughly $30-50. Any advice would be great also a decent scope that we could shoot long range too that would have good field of view and easy to get behind for youth?

I would check out the Manners Compact stock. Lots of adjustability with the length of pull so they can grow into it or you can use when they aren't. I don't own one personally (a kid or a Manners CS) but i have seen a few guys at the range with that setup putting their kids behind it and it looked like it worked pretty well.

My 10.5 lb 7ss with proof barrel and Hellfire brake in an AG composite stock won't beat him up. I love the rifle and it has killed 3 deer, 2 caribou, and an elk so far. I shoot 180 vld and RL 26 in Rich's brass.

Why 7ss?

My dad bought my kids a tikka t3x compact in 7-08. It has a spacer for when they get older and is a great youth round that they can still use as they grow older. We put a VX 3 2-8 on it.

Why not 7ss, good barrel life sweet round. Because they are sweet I can use it too. Reduced load for her and a full load for me.

McMillan A10 is a fantastic stock for small frames. Hand spacing is as critical as length of pull.

Are you going to use the same stock if you shoot it?

A cheap Remington stock is a waste, not good for precision.

I personally would just get a Proof CF and skip the fluting.

Those are all the reasons you need to do a 7ss! Cause you want one. I am buying a reamer just to have...

I don't think you will need reduced loads with a good brake. As a hunting rifle it is awesome. An every day shooter, nah.

Shot this bull at 590 yards this week. No cell service so all I have is a picture of my friends phone, lol. He is still in the backwoods.

Attachments

• 20201111_205119.jpg
    20201111_205119.jpg
    475.3 KB · Views: 36
So it's not actually for the kids?

Why not 7ss, good barrel life sweet round. Because they are sweet I can use it too. Reduced load for her and a full load for me.

If it was just for the kids. I'd vote for 7-08. Light recoil and will take most of the big game and do well at the range since you are reloading anyway.

I ha e thought about 7-08 but with the ss I can download it have already talked to the guy that came up with the wildcat he does it with his grandkids. So when they grow up can shoot full loads and do good further out on bigger animals. Me using it is a plus.

I ha e thought about 7-08 but with the ss I can download it have already talked to the guy that came up with the wildcat he does it with his grandkids. So when they grow up can shoot full loads and do good further out on bigger animals. Me using it is a plus.

What size kids? Have they shot rifles larger than 223? FWIW, I load down 6.5 creedmoor for my kids shooting rifles heavier (20" CTR and 25" sendero) than the hunting rifle you're wanting to have built.

I know very little about the cartridge you're talking about, so I could be way off base. Just seems the cartridge choice does not match the purpose, even with reduced loads.

Reactions: powdahound76
Nothing crazy fancy but built this for my 7yo

16.5 inch 6.5CM

20201111_210953.jpg

I measured his LOP and cut 4 inches off to get it just right. Shooting factory 129 Hornady American Whitetail, hopefully see how it performs tomorrow in the field. It grouped nice on initial sight in/zero.

7ss could work great if the kiddo is ready. Brakes/suppressors/tripods can help reduce recoil. Has the young one shot anything in a smaller caliber with a brake?

I would also second the Manners CS, if I had the funds I'd be building a nice custom with a shorty carbon barrel, manners CS, top notch glass and a CF tripod. I work with what I have but for those who can do better by all means build the rifle of your dreams for the kids......very few places where money would be better spent.

Memories are priceless

Nothing crazy fancy but built this for my 7yo

16.5 inch 6.5CM

View attachment 7471221

I measured his LOP and cut 4 inches off to get it just right. Shooting factory 129 Hornady American Whitetail, hopefully see how it performs tomorrow in the field. It grouped nice on initial sight in/zero.

7ss could work great if the kiddo is ready. Brakes/suppressors/tripods can help reduce recoil. Has the young one shot anything in a smaller caliber with a brake?

I would also second the Manners CS, if I had the funds I'd be building a nice custom with a shorty carbon barrel, manners CS, top notch glass and a CF tripod. I work with what I have but for those who can do better by all means build the rifle of your dreams for the kids......very few places where money would be better spent.

Memories are priceless

I like your shorty setup! A couple of questions - what did you put on there for a buttpad? It looks like it is much larger than the stock. Is it just the original pad but moved forward 4"? Also, what is between the ball head on the tripod and the hog saddle? (the thing with the squeeze/release handle)

So the pic is just the parts staged for a picture before sending it all to the gunsmith, but it’ll be a Switchlug starting with an 18” 6mm Creedmoor and probably adding a 6.5 PRC barrel down the road.

Attachments

• B541FE34-505C-4BEC-94B8-9DF94BAE31AA.jpeg
    B541FE34-505C-4BEC-94B8-9DF94BAE31AA.jpeg
    538.4 KB · Views: 35