• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Kids Rifle and Scope

Jigstick

“What’s the matter colonel sanders….chicken?”
Minuteman
  • Jul 21, 2017
    Pittsburgh PA
    I picked up a CZ452 Scout for my two boys. Ages 9 and 8. They are struggling with length of pull even on this little rifle when using the irons.

I’d like to pick up a scope for it that has good eye relief. And get them started using an optic for aiming. So I can help them on their basic form etc.

They will eventually use this rifle for squirrels, coons, wood chucks, etc

Any ideas in the sub $300 range?

SWFA SS scopes are great scopes. They come is 10X, 12X, 16X, 20X. The 16 and 20 has a small eye box. I have 2 20X. The 10 and 12 would be great. Swfa has great deals on black Friday.

I'm in the same boat, but I decided to go with an older model leupold that I picked up cheap locally. Not as much magnification as I hoped, but it's easy to see with the clear glass.

An illuminated reticle might help with familiarity.
    My 9 year old grandson has no problem with a cross hair because of video games.

A good second hand Weaver 4x Classic 4x38 (update of the aluminium K4) would be a safe bet. The advertised* eye relief is genuine and therefore greater than any Leupold 4x ever made (even the 3.6x28 M8 4X that went out of production circa 1990?) and YES, I know that from personal experience.
    * Actual eye relief of the traditional Leupold scopes tends to be 2/3 to 3/4 of advertised eye relief.

Did you teach them how to properly use iron sights 1st? I think Savage makes a smaller sized .22 for kids your age.

Good luck!

Reactions: ZG47A
    If they're struggling with eye relief maybe a red dot system with good eye relief would be the best choice. Take some of the aiming out of the equation so they can concentrate on practicing safety and weapons familiarization.