• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Kifaru Shelter and Stove

LR338nut

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 13, 2009
Umitilla County, Or
Does anyone here have experience with the Kifaru Shelters and Titanium oval stoves?
Im considering the Sawtooth or Megatarp with a medium ti-oval stove. I like to do a lot of snowshoing in the winter and occasional overnight trips, would also use it for ice fishing, and late hunting seasion trips.
I cant seem to find many reviews on the equiptment though.
Figured I would see what everyone here had to say about them.

I use the "rain fly" from the Go Lite shangri La 5 and a stove jack I put in. The stove I use is the kifaru small titanium stove. Much cheaper setup

I like them except for the fact that they do not come with an attached waterproof ground cloth. If you're winter camping you're going to need some kind of ground cloth to keep things dry. I think they sell them too.

I've met the owner, Patrick, several times and attended one of his get-togethers in the mountains. He's a great guy and at age 70-something he still goes solo ultralight elk hunting every year. He's fit as a fiddle and no mistake about it.

I like the light weight of his stuff, and the stove is particularly innovative with a chimney that rolls up into a compact self-rolling spool but which, when laid flat and bent around turns into a tube. Very cool.

They are also very tough in the wind.

But I don't like his pole system, which is simply a vertical internal pole. I find that it gets in the way of moving around, although the Sawtooth is very expansive.

They are among the lightest usable tents out there, that's for sure, and the green color they use is perfect forest camo. You could hardly pick out the tents in the trees from any distance at all.

All his stuff is well engineered and essentially custom made. To keep costs down, you order it, they make it, right there in Wheat Ridge, CO.

It is a bit frustrating to go to their shop and see something cool you want and not be able to walk out the door with it though.

No, but do have with tarp shelters and stoves in general. Its a great combo unless its really windy and raining. We would erect them close to the ground so the edge would have some extra laying on the ground. Then shovel snow, dirt, rocks, sand, on the seam edge on the ground to hold it down and so the wind and rain can find and easy way in. We also dug a trench so the run off would not run back under it to us. The no floor is a plus; drop food, fuel, coals, blood, pee, what ever and its on the ground not a tent floor. We used closed cell foam pads to stand and walk on, sometimes tree limbs/brush, kept feet dry and warm. But their apex is not designed for strong wind and we also would build walls. But this is for a camp, not on the fly where we would throw it over a hole, cravesse, gulley, ditch, low spot for a quick not shelter. We even rolled up in one dug into a snow bank one time when a very nasty blow came through in the Chugach.

Stoves, that not quite what we used but they will warm the air and dry kit out.

I say get it or at least a tarp shelter. I prefer Integral Designs SilShelter, less than a pound holds three people.

I own a TiGoat Vertex 6 and 6.5, each with liners. I also own the TiGoat Cylinder Stove. You cannot do better. Drop DJ a line and save some money for same or better quality.

Titanium Goat