• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

killed my mojo

blazinpixels

Private
Minuteman
Jan 14, 2009
Rochester MN
I was in the market to build a sps tactical. you know get it blueprinted and all. I called a smith and we spoke about what i wanted and spoke about hopes and dreams for this rifle... pretty much talked me out of it and it would never perform like a gap rifle. my best bet he said was to really dont cut corners and save up the 3500 and buy a gap rifle. he briefly spoke of hs then paused and said "uh... yeah there is nothing like a gap rifle" as if there really arent any options.

2-3 weeks and some crusaders will be finished and im gonna gets me one of them

Re: killed my mojo

this might sound harsh but you might want to look for a new smith. any good rifle smith should be able to build you a 1/2moa capable rifle as long as you are willing to use good components. nothing against GA i think they build great rifles for sure.

here was my thoughts on parts (remy700sa action blueprinted, match barrel, jewel trigger, mcm a2 stock sniper beded, match and handloads)

i figured about 2,2500 so i wouldnt be throwing tons of dough around but enough to keep up. then throw a trjicon scope on there

Depends on your cash flow! I have an sps tactical in 223 wearing an hs precision,and a nicely adjusted old style trigger. With good loads it is a 3/4 minute rifle pretty consistently. I am very happy with that considering the relatively minimal amount of money and time invested. Keep in mind this action has not been worked over and this is a stock barrel. There is no reason that sps cannot be a hell of a shooter with a good truing and re barreling. In other words, that smith sounds either very biased, or a total ass hat for telling you what you need...

I don't think I would consider truing a 700 action cutting corners at all... Look at what so many customs have been built off for years... My 308 is a savage 12 that was worked over by sharpshooter supply and it shoots just as well as I can ask. Had a bedding job, stock, time and true, and everything else checked over. I would not hesitate to do another like this, especially considering cost verses a GAP rifle.

I have a GAP 338 that shoots amazingly and is put together perfectly. I am very happy with it, but there was quite a price difference. Just depends your mixture of want/need/can afford.

I would suggest replacing the bolt altogether with a PT&G one piece 705 bolt and have your raceway recut, this will insure good fit and square along with giving you a stronger bolt, with a better extraction system (sako or m16 style). that is just a suggestion though a blueprinted remington done right will work also. their is absolutely no reason you shouldn't get 1/2moa out of that setup if you smith knows what he's doing.

also take a look at the skunkworks action in the new group buy, they are a good deal. they happen to be made by defiance machine who also is the manufacturer of the GAP templar action, also they will accept aw mags which is awesome.

What's your lead time on the build? GAP clearly makes wonderful stuff. So do a number of other builders. As was mentioned above, your 'smith sounds like he might need a replacement.

An R&D Precision, KMW, LA Precicion, Robert Gradous, etc. (those are in no particular order whatsoever) can all build you a rifle that will shoot like crazy.

On a different note, there is a lot to be said for a 'smith who states that "he can't do that".

I'm sure most of us (if not all) have come across certain individuals (before we knew better) who figured that they could do anything.

And then didn't.

One of my favorite "smith-hack's" work was to engage the power feed on the mill, while cutting a scope base groove on a small .22 cal. rifle, for a friend.

He somehow engaged the Z axis, instead of the X axis, and went down, instead of laterally. OOHHhhhh, that was ugly.

The rest just got worse. So be thankful that you're still on the "less expensive end" of the learning curve. Continue learning Vicariously.

i also thought i could save some money building a ai with badger action and match barrel. but your right the smith i have been talking to says most even custom actions dont come trued. thats when i just hung up on him...

ai 2.0 $1000
kriegr $300 + stainless
badger $1000
trigger$200

my remington 700 sa with ai 1.5 and custom bolt shot swell up to 300 yards with no issues.

i just dont want to half ass it again and wish i would have spent a little more or more so i wont have to hit the drawing board every 6months because i learned something new

Ummmmmm, boobs? I mean, I didnt know GAP builds...... BOOOOOBBBBSSS!!! Ahh shit, what was I saying?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: FarmBoy28</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i also thought i could save some money building a ai with badger action and match barrel. but your right the smith i have been talking to says most even custom actions dont come trued. thats when i just hung up on him... </div></div>

I'm not going into specifics because I don't feel like dealing with the ensuing fight over it... however, I have heard from a very reputable gentleman about a couple of custom actions that were VERY untrue.

Except in the few cases that I've been informed of, you're correct to pass along to someone else.

I would like a remington 700 tactical with a trued action or almost trued. and smack 800 yards max with decent 3inch ish groups. then upgrade the barrel to match at some point. i like the 20 inch barrel.

i need to call a remington expert (ie one of you guys and just go over every question that ive want answered) lol

If you get a rifle that you can shoot 3" groups with at 800 yrds, you better not change a thing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: FarmBoy28</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was in the market to build a sps tactical. you know get it blueprinted and all. I called a smith and we spoke about what i wanted and spoke about hopes and dreams for this rifle... pretty much talked me out of it and it would never perform like a gap rifle. my best bet he said was to really dont cut corners and save up the 3500 and buy a gap rifle. he briefly spoke of hs then paused and said "uh... yeah there is nothing like a gap rifle" as if there really arent any options.

2-3 weeks and some crusaders will be finished and im gonna gets me one of them</div></div>
If I were you I would talk to William Roscoe, Lousiana Precision. He is a Hide member and makes some mighty fine rifles I hear. I am pretty sure he won't give you the same answer as the other smith did. But, don't get me wrong, if you have the money and want a GAP they are great rifles as I have one that I just had to have.
link

For some reason the hooters are gone!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: diggler44</div><div class="ubbcode-body">this might sound harsh but you might want to look for a new smith. any good rifle smith should be able to build you a 1/2moa capable rifle as long as you are willing to use good components. nothing against GA i think they build great rifles for sure.</div></div>

+1

I guess the OPs smith doesn't know that's exactly how George started out (truing 700s)? LMAO! Some people's kids.
laugh.gif

Time for a new gunsmith. If he can't build a decent Remington I would'nt let him work on anything. A well built 700 can hold it's own in a tactical rifle.

I love my GAP but there are PLENTY of other less expensive routes to go. In fact my first Remy 700 PSS that was trued up by Randy at R&D shot just as well as my GAP.

Get a new smith and get shooting.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Vin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For some reason the hooters are gone! </div></div>

i found a little note where my top and bottom used to be. i see others had similar notes