• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Movie Theater Killer New Movie Poster for "The Expendables."

mtn_cowboy

Private
Minuteman
Jun 9, 2004
Greenville, NC
Name them off.

expposter.jpg

Re: Killer New Movie Poster for "The Expendables."

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/fXfOVNghWhk"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/fXfOVNghWhk" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Heh heh. I worked on this recently. Pretty over the top.

Nah. That's not my end of things. I just sit in front of a computer and make loud sounds all day.

I'm not on set, I only hang out with actors when I'm on the dub stage, and generally we sound folk are pretty background-y types when it comes to the spotlight and whatnot. What sucks is that almost every time we see cool guns being used in the films, we just have to completely make up sounds to fit, as the guns are not made available to us to properly record. It's not about realism, it's about cinematic excitement.

That's why gun people are always cursing at the screen when you hear hammer cocks with Glocks, and things like that. I try to keep as true to the "soul" of guns as I can. Can't always promise to be accurate though, it's not up to me in the end.

It cracks me up how people assume that if you work on movies then you hang out with big name actors
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dogtown</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It cracks me up how people assume that if you work on movies then you hang out with big name actors
wink.gif
</div></div>

I feel your pain: don't get me started on the assumptions made about Texans! Eldorado's with horns, boots, hats, spurs, tied down SAA's, oil wells...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dogtown</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It cracks me up how people assume that if you work on movies then you hang out with big name actors
wink.gif
</div></div>

Never assumed that - props are behind the scenes out of the actors way - where normal people may have access to them - Ryan does!!!
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ArcticLight</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dogtown</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It cracks me up how people assume that if you work on movies then you hang out with big name actors
wink.gif
</div></div>

Never assumed that - props are behind the scenes out of the actors way - where normal people may have access to them - Ryan does!!!
smile.gif

</div></div>

For gun props especially that's not the case. There's an on-set armorer who will keep very careful track of these. In fact, between the prop master and art dept. folks, you would be surprised how carefully every item is accounted for. Folks are responsible for every single thing on set, even the little tiny things that go almost unnoticed.

If props on major features were just floating around, every prop house would go out of business. People would be snagging little things constantly. I mean, they do anyway... People want their little trophies. It can be tough to control. But just because you're a production assistant or somebody's gopher on set doesn't mean you can walk up and play around with prop machine guns. They ARE real machine guns often. Just firing blanks.

Armorers around here have nightmares about a Brandon Lee repeat. As they should. Union rules apply as well. Insurance is a boatload of money. It's not an open playground during a shoot.

Prop masters, art dept., makeup, and armorers all interact directly and constantly with the actors. Showing them how stuff works, what's dangerous, etc. It's the post production people like me who really don't hang with them that much, except on the stage and during ADR shoots. I don't edit dialogue, so I'm not even around for ADR unless I'm already in the building for something else.

My friends (one of whom is the de facto sound supervisor and the other an editor / designer like me) and I cut the sound effects on the Expendables. I'm not on the show anymore at this point (on a werewolf and vampire teeny movie, guess which one....), but I'm hoping to say hi to Sly and the guys during the mix if tensions are low.

Get rid of Stallon and it will be great
smile.gif

Heres a bigger picture if you wanna name the guns
(with the big names on the cast list, i'm surprised they didnt list EVERYONE)

I was shocked at how ripped up Stallone got for the flick. Everyone said he wore a chest plate for the last ROCKY movie, (hard to tell if he did or not) and he was caught with HGH after Rambo IV but at 62 during the filming of this one, the dude's still stacked.

sylvester-stallone-in-shape-the-expendables.jpg

Better living through chemistry

Movies are what movies are. If they were made to please one type, that's who they'd get and the box office would suck.

So we get stuck with Stallone, whom, by the way, I think is sorely under appreciated. He's not stupid, he's "just drawn that way...". Remember, this is a guy who got discovered as a homeless dude sleeping in the NYC Subway system. I'd say he's parlayed that into one heckuva comeback.

All that accounting and tracking is in the interests of continuity and consistency. Otherwise movie snobs would be crowing about how something was there in one cut and somewhere else (or missing) in the next. Showing off their teenybopper observation skills, and equally small intellects. Besides, real machine guns are real machine guns and any missing ones would be costing somebody(s) their ass(es).

Matters like effects and editing come in the post-filming sector of movie making. The 'talent' goes their many ways and some of the more histrionic ones tend to get testy when getting dragged back for scene alterations and voice overs.

Movies are made for a mass market, which has been catered to in a manner which brings out often (completely) skewed expectations. Like the ones <span style="font-style: italic">Mythbusters</span> makes a fortune demystifying.

If you want to blame someone, you don't have to look far. They're sitting in the seats right alongside you.

Greg

red dots on 50 cals? interesting poster.. i woulda thought a big counter sniper scope woulda looked better
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shane45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Where do you see red dots? </div></div>

I believe he was talking about the optics, but that was the first thing i thought of too. "who wants a 50 with red dots all over it? Is it poke-a-dotted?"

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 02Silver</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dogtown</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It cracks me up how people assume that if you work on movies then you hang out with big name actors
wink.gif
</div></div>

I feel your pain: don't get me started on the assumptions made about Texans! Eldorado's with horns, boots, hats, spurs, tied down SAA's, oil wells... </div></div>
you mean to tell me you guys dont have horns on youre eldogs?
come on I saw it in a movie..

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/C6RU5y2fU6s"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/C6RU5y2fU6s" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>