• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Killflash effect on brightness - is it noticeable?

gewgaw

Private
Minuteman
Feb 7, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
I'm wondering about the honeycomb-style killflash attachments... if anyone uses one here, can you tell me how much it decreases the light throughput of your scope (not scientifically measuring it, but more like how it feels to your eye)? Is it noticeable at all, at high magnification, etc.?

I've seen some that are pretty dense honeycomb and I can imagine it might have a noticeable impact on brightness....?

Re: Killflash effect on brightness - is it noticeable?

I have a Killflash ARD on my Aimpoint and it's totally noticeable.

I don't know how noticeable it will be on a magnified optic. All ARD's are not created equal. USO's are supposed be be quite a bit better due to the larger honeycomb.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a Killflash ARD on my Aimpoint and it's totally noticeable.

I don't know how noticeable it will be on a magnified optic. All ARD's are not created equal. USO's are supposed be be quite a bit better due to the larger honeycomb. </div></div>
+1 the bigger honeycomb pattern doesnt seem to cut down the light quite as bad

i had an ard, from leupold, on my leupold, weird huh? it was fairly noticeable. not so much on lower mag, but definately on 14X. didnt hurt the shooting though, still saw the target fine.

They drive me crazy. That and steel plates don't ever shoot back at me so I have no need for one.

I never noticed any decrease in brightness from the USO ARD's. Seemed to make the edges of distant items a bit crisper though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Smokin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I never noticed any decrease in brightness from the USO ARD's. Seemed to make the edges of distant items a bit crisper though. </div></div>

Crisper in a good way (more sharp), or crisper in a bad way (visual artifacts)?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gewgaw</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm wondering about the honeycomb-style killflash attachments... if anyone uses one here, can you tell me how much it decreases the light throughput of your scope (not scientifically measuring it, but more like how it feels to your eye)? Is it noticeable at all, at high magnification, etc.?

I've seen some that are pretty dense honeycomb and I can imagine it might have a noticeable impact on brightness....? </div></div>

I got the one USO made for the SB 5-25x, so I'm sure it's the same as the USO ARD for USO scopes.

I notice a slight darkening, but nothing major. I guess if it was one minute from sundown, or one before sunrise, I'd take it off, but I got it just to have it, when they were offered.

Common sense, after looking at one, would tell you that it can only hinder light gathering and not help it.

Chris

it's noticeable on a red dot or scope. If you don't actually need one for real combat, I would not bother.

I had one on my SS 16x and never thought it cut very much light.

A Killflash is definitely not something you add for the "cool factor". The only reason I have one on my Aimpoint is because the bright red coating on the lens reminded me of a "shoot-n-see" on my forehead. Not something I want when I am sitting on a perimeter.

A USO ARD and sunshade is inbound for my SN3. The USO ARD fits inside the sunshade as opposed to my SS Kill Flash that attaches to the end of the sunshade. On the SS, I didn’t notice it was there. Like LoneWolfUSMC, I bought it to cut down on the chance that potential target may pick up on a reflection from the objective lens. I hate spooking them zombies.

USO says that their design and method of mounting improves the ARD’s function of allowing the light from the target to come through unhindered while cutting out the light coming in from the side. USO says that the result is better low light target detail and depth of field, allowing you can see into the shade better.

I will report back on the USO ARD after it comes in and I’ve had a chance to evaluate it.