• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes KillFlash / SunGuard ARDs

comndo

Private
Minuteman
Nov 29, 2008
GA
I was reading the Tenebrex site about the SunGuard (thin) ARD. It's kind of like a thin lens version of the original honeycomb killflash, but is designed to fit between the scope cap and objective lens. I have a 6-20x56 so I would need a #6, which says it leaves approx. 51mm free objective. My scope also has an internal anti-cant device in the bottom of the 30mm tube. I wanted to know if anyone has a similar set up or has shot with a SunGuard. I am concerned it will shadow the periphery of the internals due to reduction in collected light and make it difficult to pick up my bubble. Thanks for whatever you can throw at me.

Comndo

Re: KillFlash / SunGuard ARDs

that internal "bubble" is pretty slick.....when they come to you plumb.....

the periphery of the internals and any reduction in collected light are not lost ....due to the absolute horseshit glass your scope came with......

Man that's harsh, true but a bit harsh. It's his first post. He even has his profile complete. Not had our coffee yet this morning?

Welcome aboard, HeadCase

The Tenebrex SunGuard ARD is a very good product. I have tried the ARDs on several high end scopes and can't tell a difference in the brightness. They make an excellent sunshade and protect the lens.

You will have to overlook some SH members. They go debt on a credit card buying a NF, S&B, US Optics...ect, shoot on the weekend, maybe in a few matches and they become an authority on the Hide.

GC

and some of us actually get up off the couch too....if you want to kill a reflection of your scope....i can tell you how by just spending less than 39 cents........with authority

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">and some of us actually get up off the couch too....if you want to kill a reflection of your scope....i can tell you how by just spending less than 39 cents........with authority </div></div>

synthetic window screen not the metal mesh shit.

Aright 'Ripper I'll bite, I got made twice this week by the 40mm black hole on the front of my scope, what do you use? With authority of course...

Tape and a slit???

Seriously? Pantyhose?

I can just imagine trying to explain this to the wife:

"Yah hunny, I cut up your pantyhose. Oh, you want to know Why? Well because it will prevent my scope from reflecting the sun's glare thus giving my location away to other snipers."

I'm sure major eye rolling will ensue.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SN13</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"Yah hunny, I cut up your pantyhose." I'm sure major eye rolling will ensue.</div></div>That's why you make sure she is not wearing it while you do it: don't risk rejection by trying to spice things up.
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SN13</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Seriously? Pantyhose?

I can just imagine trying to explain this to the wife:

"Yah hunny, I cut up your pantyhose. Oh, you want to know Why? Well because it will prevent my scope from reflecting the sun's glare thus giving my location away to other snipers."

I'm sure major eye rolling will ensue.</div></div>

thats why you came here to the HIDE....to learn the un-known and seek knowledge....it is what the un-washed do....

there is no charge for that one.....

that makes your scopes smell attractive to seagulls.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wade</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Have the wife pick up a handful of the little "socks" made out of pantyhose matl. that are free at the shoe store. </div></div>

ding ding ding ding !!!!!!

You can probably make one out of some plastic wire mesh. Cut it the same ID as your Butler Creek cap. Then slide it inside the cap.

GC

i have never seen anyone boost a seven one one with plastic wire mesh over their head.......

The SunGuard ARDs are a perfect addition to your scope. You can go with the cheap white trash way or go ahead with somthing that looks half decent. Buy one, you will thank me. unless your scope is crap like the other guys said you should be good.

I had a question about the scope you are useing. Is it a springfeild?
With the size you said and the internal bubble just thought I would check, thanks

me thinks the sunguard lash up is prolly worth more than that go fast bubba-level-Hubble telescope....hell even the white trash pantyhose footie gets you a one legged hooker on a good day in the right part of town.......dummie up cracker !

MAX100,
Thank you for the appropriate welcome and the belated caution, you're very right and I suppose when I have 9,400 posts logged in my 'data book' I can sun my cheeks too.

Just was curious to hear shooting perceptions of someone who already ran a SunGuard since they are about 1/5th the cost of a KillFlash for the same objective and I have several rifles to outfit. Operationally I use G.I. issue mosquito net (OD green), but unlike an ARD it tends to snag in brush, so yeah, this ain't my first rodeo.

As for this particular (newly acquired) $4k plus rifle (among several other recent purchases) that is only a .308, I was very content to settle for the time being with 'good' glass, because it got the rifle out of the safe and onto the range. It is the first scope I have owned with an internal ACD, and have not noticed a difference in accurate cant indication between it and an external unit.

Yes, strangedays it is a Springfield Armory GenII Mildot 6-20x56 with illuminated reticle. I am WELL aware it is not top of the line glass, but I got a great deal on it used from a reliable shooter, and I figured its good enough for a National Match M1 Grand, its good enough for any other .308, because after the operator, cartridge ballistics is the No 2 handicap of any good system. You put your money where it makes sense for your budget, and right now my priorities don't dictate a Hubble on a 1000m stick. I also knew the larger objective would make up some for the difference in lens quality and collect more light. It is what it is. See, the way I was trained, and the way I NOW INSTRUCT, the best system in the world is worthless in hands of an unskilled shooter but even moderate equipment can be devastating in the hands of a true operator.

Obviously, I lent too much credit to some of the patrons here given the site name, thinking it was a meeting place for shooters not gucci gear snobs. My Govt salary doesn't allow me to bolt $2400 glass on EVERY rifle I have, but I guarantee you don't want to be the guy on the other end of ANY scope I'm laying behind.

Ultimately, I feel my decorated past and continued Service to this Country warrants a little more mutual respect than to be prejudgmentally attacked and insulted by a 'used machinery broker' over a difference in opinion that servicemen and women provide for him to so obnoxiously share. Maybe next I can have "Super 'Bag'man" fly from Texas and tell me which groceries to buy- in trade he can bring his rifle and my Wife will show him what it can really do. I kinda feel bad for the guy, what with having to calculate two dopes for every shot, one for the rifle angle and the other for his nose being in the air.

As an aside, my .338 Lapua has NF icing, but I must have missed the rule that you have to divulge the entire contents your safe and your operational resume to strangers in a chat room to ask for a simple kit reference. Now I may be over stepping my bounds here as a relative new guy to the site with little activity but-Moral of the story; Know who the Hell you're talking to and if you can't answer a legitimate question without being a prick-go to the next topic.

And finally, what I gathered is: the SunGuard is a great product that doesn't reduce collected light-Thanks!

Comndo

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HeadCase</div><div class="ubbcode-body">MAX100,
......................And finally, what I gathered is: the SunGuard is a great product that doesn't reduce collected light-Thanks!

Comndo
</div></div>
By nature it must reduce it.
The baffles have a cross-sectional area, so they will reduce it.
Will you notice it? That's up to you.
Also, the ARD's that are held in place by caps heve proven to reduce light by quite a bit for many here including myself.
Some of this reduction might be attributed to the less than perfect alignment with the scope, caused by the attachment method.

The one I had from Tennebraex was quickly given away.
I now have a screw-in model by U.S. Optics and it works very well.

Thanks Raf,

Great input-I'm on the fence it was really just a curiousity question as I have never seen a SunGuard, only the KillFlash in my military / law enforcement experience. When I saw the price I thought- Hey I can get several of those...then I thought about that SA and figured it would be a problem. Good thing those mosquito nets are big...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HeadCase</div><div class="ubbcode-body">MAX100,

devastating in the hands of a true operator.

O
Ultimately, I feel my decorated past and continued Service to this Country warrants a little more mutual respect than to be prejudgmentally attacked and insulted by a 'used machinery broker' over a difference in opinion that servicemen and women provide for him to so obnoxiously share. Maybe next I can have "Super 'Bag'man" fly from Texas and tell me which groceries to buy- in trade he can bring his rifle and my Wife will show him what it can really do. I kinda feel bad for the guy, what with having to calculate two dopes for every shot, one for the rifle angle and the other for his nose being in the air.

As an aside, my .338 Lapua has NF icing, but I must have missed the rule that you have to divulge the entire contents your safe and your operational resume to strangers in a chat room to ask for a simple kit reference. Now I may be over stepping my bounds here as a relative new guy to the site with little activity but-Moral of the story; Know who the Hell you're talking to and if you can't answer a legitimate question without being a prick-go to the next topic.

And finally, what I gathered is: the SunGuard is a great product that doesn't reduce collected light-Thanks!

Comndo
</div></div>

oh please........yet another reason not to cross the red river...you have a good day sport.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">you have a good day sport.</div></div>

I believe we have found where Wally Clever has been hiding.

GC

Stand down bro...

BOLTRIPPER has done his time.

Best to sit back a bit & learn the different personalities here before you press the trigger...

Take a deep breath & maintain chill...

It's all good...

There are MANY here that have BTDT & if you hang outlong enough you will learn how their wit comes across in text.

-Wil

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Stand down bro...</div></div>

I believe we have found Polly Shore too.

GC

Punch,

If you are running a sunshade you can throw a "birds nest" in it to reduce the blackhole. Another tip we give our students is to turn their ghillie hat around and drape the tail over the optic.

OW

That post wasn't directed at you...

However, since it appears you are trolling for contact, may I suggest that you might consider doing the same?

Many of the people here come across different in person than they do in text. I happen to know several of them, that if I didn't know them personally I would assume they are being a dick.

Carry on as you like. Just a piece of friendly advice.

-Wil

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Punch,

If you are running a sunshade you can throw a "birds nest" in it to reduce the blackhole. Another tip we give our students is to turn their ghillie hat around and drape the tail over the optic.

OW</div></div>

Good tip!

Its cool, I just needed to speak mine.

I think I've been pretty good for a FNG. I read this site at random for over a year before signing up, when I did I filled out my profile, and kept reading and reviewing old threads. I never asked any goof questions, and first time I raise my hand I get fragged. WTFO? I didn't appreciate that "wit" I guess.

Like most of you I have lots of gear that ranges in quality and cost, some learned some earned. I have a crappier scope (simmons), some middle ground (Horus)and a few really nice ones (Leupolds and the NF). Same with rifles, pistols, and other gear. I hadn't even planned on setting that rifle up yet and just happened onto this SA. It fit, didn't cost much and I'm shooting it till I get something else. I have mostly been focusing my humble purchasing power toward things that may be banned soon. I don't have ACOGs or EoTecs on all of those either, one of them just got a TruGlo (gasp!) that I got for free.

And BoltRipper, I'm not from the East Coast. I'm assigned here. And it sucks.

Comndo

HC,
Thank you for you service to our great country. I do believe the military built the bases in Ga. to prepared outsiders for our climate and such. Hope you enjoy your stay in God's country. We natives actually like it here.
Rob

I use a S&B 4-16 x 42 PMII, the killflash that came from S&B does indeed reduce the brightness and the crispness somewhat. Also, the eye´s alignment with the ocular seems slightly more difficult, as you get the blackout effect at higher mag easier.

Good luck!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HeadCase</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was reading the Tenebrex site about the SunGuard (thin) ARD. It's kind of like a thin lens version of the original honeycomb killflash, but is designed to fit between the scope cap and objective lens. I have a 6-20x56 so I would need a #6, which says it leaves approx. 51mm free objective. My scope also has an internal anti-cant device in the bottom of the 30mm tube. I wanted to know if anyone has a similar set up or has shot with a SunGuard. I am concerned it will shadow the periphery of the internals due to reduction in collected light and make it difficult to pick up my bubble. Thanks for whatever you can throw at me.

Comndo</div></div>

I don't think I said anything against springfield scopes so if any of that was directed at me then well sorry you got pissed.
Thanks for your service and hope you like your new scope.
I do hope you went with the ARD I love mine.

I also thought I would mention I have a springfield also third generation and it worked ok with my ARD but not as clear as my Sightron. I think for the money Springfield are good and the 52mm is needed for the extra light becouse of their glass but all in all they are good. I always used a US Optics Anti Cant device even on my Springfield, I found it to be more accurate.

Copy.

Thanks guys, I think if I get one it'll be sized for a 40mm as that is what most of my objectives are and I'll be able to check it out on several tubes that I'm more familliar with.

Comndo

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HeadCase</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Its cool, I just needed to speak mine. ...I never asked any goof questions, and first time I raise my hand I get fragged. WTFO? I didn't appreciate that "wit" I guess.
</div></div>

lol... rgr all

Welome to the Hide... oh, and meet BOLTRIPPER, our resident dickhead... love ya Boiko!

-Wil