• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes KillFlash - to paint or not to paint?

Bugaboo

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 21, 2010
Prague, Czech Republic
That is the question.

I mean the actual honeycomb. It looks like a black hole, so I thought maybe I could give it a light spray of some light color to blend into the environment. On the other hand I am afraid it would go against the purpose of the KillFlash, i.e. reflect, rather then kill reflected light.

So, what is the correct option and why?

If "to paint" is correct, I will appreciate any advice on "how to..."

Thanks in advance.

Re: KillFlash - to paint or not to paint?

A kill flash is simply a very short sunshade.

The problem I see with painting it is if you are in direct sunlight, the light reflected off of the honeycomb may have a profound effect on your sight picture. I say "may" because I have never actually tried it and most of the time my ARD's stay in the box they came in.

I don't run a killflash/ARD on my precision rifles.

That is exactly my concern. I shot first competition with it today, including a stage almost directly against the sun and I was happy with the result. What is the con of Killflash compared to a sunshade?

take a sponge and dab it in paint or spray onto it and dab the edges of the honeycomb..you should not spray paint into the ARD honecomb. light colored paint will have an effect if sprayed into the cells.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sharfshutze</div><div class="ubbcode-body">take a sponge and dab it in paint or spray onto it and dab the edges of the honeycomb..you should not spray paint into the ARD honecomb. light colored paint will have an effect. </div></div>

You mean I SHOULDN'T spray into the honeycomb, right?

correct. dont spray into the honeycomb. also not all are created equal.. the ones with the tiny cells tend to obscure a lot of light and even sight picture sometimes. The tenebraex I think are the best, but if this is not for a two way range use i would use a sunshade.

I had mine custom made, I didn't want to spend the money on original S and B. My KillFlash has medium sized honeycomb, from what I have seen and no, it is not for two-way rage.

I have seen sunshades on other guys' scopes and they are much longer than KF. I was concerned with he clarity of the sightpicture, but today everything went fine. I will give it a try and see, it didn't cost a fortune. Thanks for the advice.

By the time you get enough paint on the razor edges of the honeycomb to make <span style="font-style: italic">any practical difference at all</span> in frontal appearance, you have ruined the anti-glare properties and further reduced transmitted light from the viewpoint of the sniper through the scope.

If you don't have to worry about getting shot at, then don't worry about an ARD.

Use a sunshade. At worst you may get a tiny bit of vignetting, but since you are not shooting through the corners of the scope it doesn't really matter.

An ARD/Killflash darkens the entire image. It may not be visible in full daylight, but there is a difference. The only optic I run an ARD on is my Aimpoint. The only reason is because the objective is ruby red and I don't like the big "shoot me" sign floating in front of my face. If I am doing a "sniper school" type stalk then I field prep my rifle with tape slits over the objective. It works similar to an ARD with a lot less blocking the lens.

Yes, I expected the image to get darker and a little less "sharp". I'm photographer, so I knew it will have this effect.

Since it is not a permanent alteration of the scope and since it cost me peanuts, I have no problem taking it off and forgetting it.

But would you be kind and post pictures of your "field" solution with tape? I have seen the so called "bird's nest", made of grass.

Thanks to all for answers.