• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Killing a 40x value

Buckoman

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 3, 2008
Hatfield, Pa
So I just bought a pristine USMC marked 40x. I paid 1000 for it. I took it over to the gunsmith who refused to thread it cause it was so nice saying it would kill the value. Will it really hurt the value that bad? I have a suppressor I want to put on it for quiet practice.

Re: Killing a 40x value

I say find another gunsmith. It is your firearm. If you want it threaded then he should thread it for you. On the same token, if he does his job correctly and does a good thread protector, you shouldn't even be able to tel it has been threaded.

It will lessen the value for a true collector of vintage 40X's; but, if that is what you want and if you are not going to resale it who cares. I understand why you would want to do and I think you are asking the right question but in the end of the day you are the only person that can answer the question...it is what you want to do?

If it bothers you; order another barrelled rcvr for $275 4FS and chop that.

If it's in good condition, don't do it. It is a collector's piece and I would maintain it as is or sell it to a collector and buy another 40x to build on as a platform.

Again, I am assuming it is in great condition.

its your rifle. i would find another gunsmith. its his job to do what u want.

buying another barrel and threading it is a good option though

The USMC marked rifles do bring a premium. If it is in collector condition, leave it alone, it is only going to go up in value in original condition.

You can have it rebarreled keeping the same factory contour so you do not have to open up the barrel channel.

BUT, you run the risk of screwing up the original barrel trying to get it out of the receiver. Search a thread C. Dixon has in the gunsmithing section about 40x rebarrels. Some of them are impossible to get the barrel off of without cutting.

I personally would sell it and get another one to have worked over.
I picked mine up on GB. Freckled with rust, Beautiful stock, no sights, $650 delivered. Sent it off for a complete make over.

Find another gunsmith. It's YOUR rifle, not his. YOU make the decisions. If YOU want it threaded, then have it threaded.

I understand his concern of diminishing the collectors value, and it his place to relay his concern as a gunsmith. After that though, if you still decided to have it threaded, then he should have threaded it for you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Situation Normal</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Find another gunsmith. It's YOUR rifle, not his. YOU make the decisions. If YOU want it threaded, then have it threaded.

I understand his concern of diminishing the collectors value, and it his place to relay his concern as a gunsmith. After that though, if you still decided to have it threaded, then he should have threaded it for you.</div></div>

it's also his choice to refuse to alter it... so yeah, if you really want it done, find another smith, but the guy would get any work I had done in the future.... at least he has a conscience

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Master_Blaster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So I just bought a pristine USMC marked 40x. I paid 1000 for it. I took it over to the gunsmith who refused to thread it cause it was so nice saying it would kill the value. Will it really hurt the value that bad? I have a suppressor I want to put on it for quiet practice. </div></div>

PLEASE don't change that rifle.

If you want to chop one up, I will me more than happy to trade you for my US Property Marked 40XB. I tried to get a USMC 40X, but they sold out before I could.

Let me know, she shoots great.

IMG_0177.jpg

Hey MB,
I am having a hard time understanding something here.
If you knowingly paid premium money for an as you claim "pristine example" of a known collectable, why are you questioning it loosing value if you modify it?
Am I missing something? You either know the answer or your vague on what you bought (at best). There are plenty of people up here that will tell you to mod it, do your own thing or whatever and you know it.

First, any mod, no matter how small will depreciate it. Threading the barrel will be considered much more than a small mod to a collector. The only true collectable worth owning is original condition.
Second, if it is really as you claim "pristine", you can get more than you paid for it with a little patience finding the right buyer.
Third, there is probably someone that will do a trade with you here or on someplace like rimfire central that will get you some cash and what you can mod. That might be a win win situation.
Forth, give me the name of the gunsmith. He has my respect for not being a hack.

Or just have at it. All you do your own thing guys just keep appreciating my rifles.

Just rebarrel it and keep the old barrel to put it back to original. Done.

OP, did it cost $1000 simply because it is a USMC rifle? Or is that the market price for any pristine example?

If you've paid a premium for a rare/collectable/important rifle then the smith is right to at least advise against doing it, if the work will reduce the value/investment you have in the rifle and/or destry something that is in very limited supply and has historic value.

My smith will regularly advise customers on the impact of certain work on the value of classic rifles.

In the end, yes (as others have said) it is your choice.

Whether for historic or financial/resale reasons I'd think twice before you take the plunge.......

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RicosRevenge</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just rebarrel it and keep the old barrel to put it back to original. Done.</div></div>

Aw come on RR, one slip or make the smallest marks that looks like you clamped on the barrel or anything looking like radial slip marks in the blue and whether you stop there or keep going, you just trashed the value.

I know, your gonna say dont slip......famous last words

He already got an offer from Lone Wolf and thats a nice looking piece he's offering up there..

Ultimately it is your rifle to do with as you please. If you cannot find someone to do what you want to this rifle then that does not mean all those guys are lousy smiths, quite the contrary, I would say the minute you find the man that will do this deed you have found your lousy smith.
The customer is not always right, that is a longstanding misconception. When a smith does a job, that is his reputation he puts on the line and his name is there to be exaulted or dragged through the mud. You hire a professional to tell you what is best, if you are able to tell your professional what is best you didn't hire a professional.
What you seek now is justification through the internet. There will never be a shortage of enablers to tell you "go for it man!"

I would find another gun to monkey wrench on. I wouldn't touch this gun in any manner.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Boomholzer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">At what point will Jesus himself be brought into this thread?

</div></div>
Uhhhhh, you just did...:)

Let me get this right. You paid $1000.00 for a rifle, I have seen others like it sell for $1600.00 and you want to thread it for a suppressor. Take the deal offered above, trade rifles and spare the USMC rifle.

Here is an option just shoot quality subsonic ammo and you don't need a suppresor.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: armorpl8chikn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...You hire a professional to tell you what is best, if you are able to tell your professional what is best you didn't hire a professional...</div></div>

When you hire a professional you are paying for a certain level of quality or experience, not for him to tell you what you want.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Situation Normal</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: armorpl8chikn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...You hire a professional to tell you what is best, if you are able to tell your professional what is best you didn't hire a professional...</div></div>

When you hire a professional you are paying for a certain level of quality or experience, not for him to tell you what you want. </div></div>
And that is not what I said, is English your second language? Don't twist my words.
I know plenty of folks that WANT gunsmiths to do exactly what they want them to do and in some cases no matter how good the smith the result will be crap. I will give you an example."I want you to turn this hand lapped blank down to XYZ contour and flute it with a ball end mill."

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Situation Normal</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: armorpl8chikn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...You hire a professional to tell you what is best, if you are able to tell your professional what is best you didn't hire a professional...</div></div>

When you hire a professional you are paying for a certain level of quality or experience, not for him to tell you what you want. </div></div>

Agreed.

Does anyone make a clamp on thread adapter like the Roedale clamp on muzzle brakes?

Instead of a brake, you could have a threaded extentions to simply thread your can on?

Same fashion as a bloop tube. My bloop tube clamps on my finnfire and it doesnt move and also doent mess the finish up either.

Might be a nifty idea to machine up. An engineer budy of mine ask me becuase he also wants to put a can on his 40x, but refuses to thread it.

So it's some of your opinions that the gunsmith has no right to refuse??? Hell, that's one of the advantages of owning your own business. LoneWolf offered a very fair deal IMO so you'd have a rifle you wouldn't regret altering later on.

I think if the smith wanted to refuse for whatever reason, then he should.

With that said, the 40x with a Broughton, Shilen or Kreiger barrel would be an absolute hammer as that is the configuration that many have used ay the highest level of rimfire bench competition.

Check with Dan Killough and he will recommend a gunsmith. Just using a can doesn't do it for me, I also want it to shoot as well as it does now. Worry about matting the barrel or receiver is very very low risk, but it does exist. But these guns are OLD.

If I hadn't got sidetracked with building a 3-gun AR and had to scope it along with the expense of matches... Mine would be done already. Trust me, having the can just sitting there kills me!

MB,

I have 2 40 XB's and a 40 X. All are CMP guns, with certificates and all are US marked. Two have matcfhing bolts and one does not not. I will trade any one of my three, "your choice" for your USMC.

I will pay for shipping on both guns. Your's to me and mine to you. You would have to pay any FFL fees, if any are incurred on your end. There will be none on my end.

If interested, PM me and I'll send pics.

BTW, the guns are not for sale, just looking for something I do not have.

AR

Sorry I've been scarce here fellas, let me take a little time to follow up and get some pix up here. Been super busy but thanks for the offers and replies.

cheers,

Lonewolf,

that's a nice looking rig, what scope is that? Probably not going to trade at this point though, but thanks.

I guess I didn't realize there was a difference between USMC property marked and Government property marked. Thanks for the info guys.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Master_Blaster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sorry I've been scarce here fellas.. </div></div>
Obviously we can carry on messing with your property without you!! LOL!!

The GB Link gun is interesting for someone looking to do exactly what we are talking about. Stock isn't in completely horrible shape but I don't think I'd be scared of a smith marring anything on that! $500 for an action and bolt (which is all I'd use) isn't too bad for someone building out a M700 clone.

My definition of pristine is a little different
You'll pay a premium for the rollmark but that's
because all the jarheads bid them up - can't really blame them.
I'm a shooter not a collector - I've wrecked better?

Some buds and I bought 52D CMP rifles a while back. One of the guys drilled and tapped both of them for scope mounts. One of the others had a fit about it and the "ruined" rifles. Thing is, the guy with scopes on his 52D rifles is happy as hell and it never bothers him that he did it.
I say just do what you want with yours.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RicosRevenge</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Master_Blaster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sorry I've been scarce here fellas.. </div></div>
Obviously we can carry on messing with your property without you!! LOL!!

The GB Link gun is interesting for someone looking to do exactly what we are talking about. Stock isn't in completely horrible shape but I don't think I'd be scared of a smith marring anything on that! $500 for an action and bolt (which is all I'd use) isn't too bad for someone building out a M700 clone. </div></div>

HEY!!

bugger off, I'm the high bidder right now! ha
smirk.gif

_DT

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: D_TROS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">HEY!!

bugger off, I'm the high bidder right now! ha
smirk.gif

_DT </div></div>
LMAO!!! Good luck DT!!

You guys want a pristine one?
There is a NIB 1965 40X on broker.
Now that I would leave as is.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 750k2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You guys want a pristine one?
There is a NIB 1965 40X on broker.
Now that I would leave as is. </div></div>

Sweet rifle. It's only $860 now and the reserve has already been met. Of course there are 2 days and 23 hours left on it...

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=246839908

"never fired"....wow thats amazing. I wonder what letter is after the serial number. can anyone tell?

_DT

Good call... 1964 is an "L" and 65 is an "M"

It kinda looks like an "O" or a "G" though
O would be 1967
G would be 1959

DT.. it is probably a B since the under rail is full length. I is probably the XB model. It also looks to have a heavy barrel.

Years ago, a kid came into the shop I was working at and had a 3 didget model 70 and wanted DandT! Did I do it...no! Was it his...sure! Sometimes a smith just cannot bear to do what the customer asks...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: killahog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Woo Hoo Im the high bidder on that one Right now. </div></div>

Im the high bidder now. This could get interesting

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nesikabay</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Have you seen the 40x for sale at rimfirecentral. Its as nice with a Jewell trigger and other items </div></div>

LOL
Distraction tactics? Agreed on the initial bidding and plenty of time to go. Funny that three of the bidders are right here. I just hope someone here gets it.

The seller has no history <distraction tactics>.
laugh.gif

If i dont getthis one ill go ahead and buy the other one. I need another 40x im down to 13 of them