• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Re: KIM exercise

Just make your own. Shuffle between colors, shapes, names, random objects in a box.

Grade on estimated size, color, shape, condition, as many characteristics as you want.

Observation time limits...just starting out around two minutes, down to 30 seconds. After items are covered, throw in some PT or drills and then have them put pen to paper.

If the students don't have any exposure to the games, you might start with some instruction on memorization techniques, like placing the items on a person, mnemonic devices, etc.. Start with static exposure, just letting them look at the items and then write them down a little while later. Then you can start lengthening the time between exposure and recall. Then start adding PT during exposure. Try to make it more interesting than just pushups, like have the students unload a vehicle full of gear, with items distributed along the route between the vehicle and the drop point.

Bit of trivia,

"Kim's Game" is named after "Kim" from Rudyard Kipling's 1901 book titled "Kim".

“ Look on them as long as thou wilt, stranger. Count and, if need be, handle. One look is enough for me. When thou hast counted and handled and art sure that thou canst remember them all, I cover them with this paper, and thou must tell over the tally to Lurgan Sahib. I will write mine. ”

While noted as Keep in Memory, we used KIMS as in Keep in Mind Stupid.

Rudyard Kipling also said that a woman's guess is much more accurate than a man's certainty.
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Rudyard Kipling also said that a woman's guess is much more accurate than a man's certainty.
laugh.gif

</div></div>

he used that line to pick up chicks... back in 1901 it closed a lot of deals for him.

Closest I ever came to "Kim" drills (only I didn't know it was called that) was in EOD (Civilian LE Bomb Squad).

We had a rather old "dirty" X Ray Machine. Not something you want to look through very long.

We would make "fake bombs" and take turns examining each others' device. After a quick look via the X Ray we had to draw a picture of the device and lable the items we found and come up with a plan to "render it safe".

To prepare we would go to Radio Shack and take photos of just about everything you could posibly find in a IED (we called them Hazardous Devices).

We would study the photos and try to memorize as much as we could. After a while, you could look at a device (via X Ray) and get pretty good at knowing what its about.

Basicly you need to study items or pictures of items that you would find in your enviorment before hand, then you can tell what's there with a quick glance

This is how Memory Palace works, you think in your mind of your house or any other place you know very well and you place items that you want to remember in each room but make it bizzare for example i wanna memorize a duracell double A battery.
I walk into the first room and see a monkey putting a double A duracell battery into a tv remote, now do something else bizzare for other items in other rooms, You can also place mulitple things into one room.