• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns kimber 1911 questions

robertsma

Private
Minuteman
  • Oct 4, 2011
    Phoenix / San Diego
    I went shooting with some guys I work with this weekend and had the pleasure of shooting a custom covert II. I have currently been shooting a glock 23 and am not sure what it was but I fell in love with the way it fit in my hand and as far as performance.... It was a pistol that iKd never shot before and was having no problems hitting black on silouette targets from 7m to 20m. I shot better with it than my glock which I have been shooting for almost a year now. I have no interest in a desert digital pistol but am looking for feedback on which model will fulfill my needs while not breaking my bank account. I have 900 to spend on a pistol and am looking at an eclipse custom II or a custom target II. I will be using it for 90% range use and shoot almost everyweekend. Thanks for the input

Re: kimber 1911 questions

Avoid newer Kimbers. There are guns in your price range and below from STI or Springfield Armory that have the features you want, but better quality.

May I ask why you don't recommend kimber? I've never heard of anybody having a problem with them and I thought they were known for their quality. Is there something we don't know.

For the record, I love my Kimber, too, as would many of you if you owned it:

I just wouldn't buy a new one. Kimber's quality is crap compared to the guns of yesterday.

I think Kimber makes a great gun, I do have a couple bones to pick with them.
    1. They're customer service SUCKS. They are rude and don't help very much
    2. I think the quality control is an issue. I've heard of a lot of guns (mine included) that had to go back for something they missed. In my case the gun couldn't feed hollow points and the plunger tube was not staked very well and came off.

Personally, I won't buy one again out of principal. However,
    I will say they do make a good 1911 but just be advised on those two issues.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: robertsma</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have 900 to spend on a pistol and am looking at an eclipse custom II or a custom target II. I will be using it for 90% range use and shoot almost every weekend. Thanks for the input </div></div>

My primary range gun is a Custom II and it has had thousands of rounds through it with no issues whatsoever. If you get a Custom II you will be very pleased with your purchase.

Get a Springfield loaded. Better warranty and customer service should you need it. I just put a deposit down on a Springfield TRP.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Searcher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any pistol from Kimber's custom shop is GTG. </div></div>

My mileage varies...twice.

I just looked at the springfield TRP and while it looks like a great pistol, I don't have 1400 to spend on a pistol, thats about 1400 above my price range right now.

I have an older Desert Warrior and it is a fun pistol. It won't feed reliably with anything but Wilson Combat mags or the factory mags. Too many FTF issues for me to think of it as anything but a range toy.

The custom shop is just a roll stamp, they don't have a custom shop. I know some folks have had good luck with Kimbers....I have not unless it's a series I from when they made a very good 1911. I find them to be more of a crap shoot today due to hit and miss quality control. IMO any company with CS that explains their poor performing pistols as needing 500 rounds break in is full of crap.

If I had 900 to spend on a Kimber, I would go for the Custom TLE II. As others have said, unless you have no choice, stay away from the newer pistols. If you can find an early series II, or pre series II you will be in good shape. Ive shot and trusted my TLE II for years now and have just performed the usual 1911 maintenance here and there. A good rule of thumb would be not to skimp out and buy junk mags. This will eliminate many problems down the road for you.

Colt

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: robertsma</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just looked at the springfield TRP and while it looks like a great pistol, I don't have 1400 to spend on a pistol, thats about 1400 above my price range right now. </div></div>
    I'm not saying to buy the trp you can get a springfield loaded parkerized for around $700-750.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Colt West</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looking damn good DZ.. </div></div>

Thanks for the compliments. Sorry if it isn't that pretty, I shoot it a LOT.

i have a TLE/RL II that shoots fine. never had an issue that better mags didnt cure

I wouldn’t haven an issue with the old Kimbers but would stay away from the current ones.

Mileage definitely varies. Ive got 10k hard rounds through my 4" carry and another 5" that has probably twice that in the last 5 years. I've got a safe with several 4" Springers, Baers, and a Colt and the Kimber gets carried because it the best and most reliable shooter. Lots of opinions out on the net.

I'm obviously going to have to do some more research, but am still considering kimber because (unless this changed) LA SWAT carries the TLE II and that is one of the models that i'm looking at. I don't need anything too terribly fancy, just something black, with night sights, and will shoot reliably.

I have heard that kimbers new mags are ****, though, and to pick up a bunch of wilson combat mags to replace the factory ones, if kimber is the way I go still.

Thanks a ton for all of the feedback so far

Are you LA SWAT? Why would that have any relevance to the gun you choose?

If LA SWAT carried a Taurus, would you buy that too?

With the plethora of 1911s on the market, I wouldn't run out and buy a Kimber - or any other 1911 for that matter.

Tell your buddy you really liked his 1911, and you're thinking of getting one, but you'd like to try a bunch of different ones before you decide what to get. Ask him if he knows other folks with them, and put together a rangr day for you to try them. Gun guys love showing off their stuff, and usually jump at the chance to show them to someone with interest.

My 2¢ is that I've been tickled with the Sig I got for $700. It fits nice, shoots nice, and has a lot of little extra details you normally don't get in the sub-$1250 range, such as 28 line frontstrap checkering, Novaks nightsights, and impeccable finish... not to say sig is "the best", but I really like mine.

I sold my last Sig for $250. Different strokes, I guess.

A 1911 is a 1911. Demand quality or walk, it's just that simple.

Unless you're spending $2500+, it comes down to features and warranty.

Love my Kimber SCP I have had zero issues with it.

Lots of internet parrots will bash them, but I call BS so far. That's just my experience. I have two other buddies I shoot with that have bought theirs new in the last year and zero issues as well.

As said above if its not a custom hight dollar rig, you just need to decide on features. I also have a Springfield that has been great.

Every company has some lemons.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: robertsma</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm obviously going to have to do some more research, but am still considering kimber because (unless this changed) LA SWAT carries the TLE II and that is one of the models that i'm looking at. I don't need anything too terribly fancy, just something black, with night sights, and will shoot reliably.

I have heard that kimbers new mags are ****, though, and to pick up a bunch of wilson combat mags to replace the factory ones, if kimber is the way I go still.

Thanks a ton for all of the feedback so far </div></div>

FYI LAPD also has used the Beretta 92 since 1987.
    Large PDs have to base their decisions on a number of things not just what weapon is best. Just like the military, There are many factors that play in, not just quality or operation.
    LAPD is a great PD but it is HUGE. Plus I'm sure they get a little bit better customer service than any one of us.
    All the people I ever spoke to at Kimber were dicks.

Having said that... I believe the best possible way to judge a gun is
    How does it feel?
    Do YOU like it?
    I always consider quality, but if it's just right maybe it's worth some reasonable risk.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mileage definitely varies. Ive got 10k hard rounds through my 4" carry and another 5" that has probably twice that in the last 5 years.</div></div>

Eclipse with over 25K...excellent to date. Tactical and Raptor...not so good.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Lots of opinions out on the net.</div></div>

Some based on experience.

Easy solution is for the OP to buy a pre- "II" series Kimber.

My Custom (with a 4 digit serial number) is a solid firearm...one I wouldn't hesitate to trust my life to. Everyone who's shot it comments on what a quality piece it is. I still see used ones in great shape on the interwebz from time to time, so that might be a viable option...

I'm going to hit the range this weekend and see if anybody is shooting any 1911's, whixh there always are, and ask to try them. As i said in my first post though, it may have been that particular pistol, but that kimbedr just felt right and I loved how it shot

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: scott123456789</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd go for the eclipse as I prefer night sights and the front checkering </div></div>

Completely agree.

As far as I'm concerned, a 1911 MUST have 28 line/inch serrations on the front strap, and any pistol must have steel sights with illumination lamps.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbo54</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: scott123456789</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd go for the eclipse as I prefer night sights and the front checkering </div></div>

Completely agree.

As far as I'm concerned, a 1911 MUST have 28 line/inch serrations on the front strap, and any pistol must have steel sights with illumination lamps. </div></div>

I personally do not, and would not, own any pistol with anything other than a plain black rear sight. My main carry gun's front sight is a night, however.

Love my Kimber Grand Raptor, but my STI Trubor is better in every area except for putting someone down, 45 vs 38super. I have not seen any issues with newer full size Kimbers but a fair amount of issues with both the pro and ultra sizes.

I had a Eclipse Pro Target. It shot fine. As accurate and reliable as any 45. Very pretty too! My problem was that you need a little pin that gets inserted into it to take it apart. What?!... My attitude is: If I can't field strip it without the use of special tools I don't want it! I bought myself a SIG Scorpion and have never looked back! All Stainless, Tight, Accurate, Reliable, only $799.00 and.... Field Strip-able! Probably the last 45 I'll own.

I shot the eclipse pro carry II the same day as I shot the Covert Custom II. It didn't have any problems feeding / malfunctioning, just not a fan of small pistols. I did like the grips on the eclipse though. I do want the 28 TPI checkering on the front. It just felt right in my hands.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: robertsma</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm going to hit the range this weekend and see if anybody is shooting any 1911's, whixh there always are, and ask to try them. As i said in my first post though, <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">it may have been that particular pistol, but that kimbedr just felt right and I loved how it shot</span></span> </div></div>

Then get one and be done with it. Everyone is going to give you an opinion on what THEY think you should get based on how THEY feel about the particular gun that THEY like.

If you like the one you shot and it felt "right" to you than what more do you need? For the record, I own a Kimber Pro Carry with the Crimson Trace grips and I love the thing, never had any issues with it and it's very accurate.

+1 on what Slapchop said. As long as you like it, don't worry about what the internet says. Shoot what's comfortable and use the warranty when you have to. Not really much else you can do.

I own a DW that my pal got for me after our first deployment and can never get rid of it as it was the last thing he gave to me before he died. I love this pistol as much as is legal in most states. However the lowest quality of round I can shoot is white box. This may sound like a deficiency but it reminds me every time to get good ammo and treat her well. It feeds my HST very well and shoots them better. But its all about you. I would not take it to a war, like i would a Glock, but I carry it everyday that I'm not here in the People's Republic of Hawaii. The Glock will shoot anything made, however my Kimber shoots anything worth shooting. I say get one!

My suggestion to make you a long term happy camper:

get a full sized 1911, 5 inch govt model. The original
    and get a springfield for your price range

Springfield has a new Range officer in your price range,
    next up would be MC Operator (hard to find because at $1,150 its considered to the best value in the market by many.)

I have two kimbers, one is a Pro Carry II that is 1.5 years old, it has just a little under 5000 rounds through it, it has been one of the best pistols i have ever had the privelage of owning.

my other Kimber is a Custom TLE II, it is used, so i don't have an exact round count, but i can say this that if its like my Pro Carry it will be a great pistol.

I have 2 Kimbers currently, both are Series I (Custom Classic & Ultra Carry). I had and sold a very early series II Gold Combat. I still regret selling that pistol. all 3 were and are awesome firearm.

I never owned but have used and shot extensively several series II Kimbers and will never own one. I am sure that someone can get them to run well, but that was not the case for ones that I saw in Houston.

That having been said, you bet your ass I would buy another Series I if given the chance and need.

Jeffvn

Well I did it. I bought a Kimber Custom TLE II today. Now for the ten day waiting period. One other topic though, who is the go to company for new magazines. I am looking for 3-4 high quality, ultra-reliable 1911 magazines. I know wilson combat makes great magazines but am wondering who else makes comparable magazines, Thanks!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: robertsma</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well I did it. I bought a Kimber Custom TLE II today. Now for the ten day waiting period. One other topic though, who is the go to company for new magazines. I am looking for 3-4 high quality, ultra-reliable 1911 magazines. I know wilson combat makes great magazines but am wondering who else makes comparable magazines, Thanks! </div></div>

check out the group buy in my sig line. You will not find better magazines anywhere, period. I have shot wilsons and CMCs for years. Tripps put them to shame.

on this thread, I have to agree with Downzero's comments,

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: robertsma</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well I did it. I bought a Kimber Custom TLE II today. Now for the ten day waiting period. One other topic though, who is the go to company for new magazines. I am looking for 3-4 high quality, ultra-reliable 1911 magazines. I know wilson combat makes great magazines but am wondering who else makes comparable magazines, Thanks! </div></div>

I use a Kimber Custom II as my primary range gun. It gets a LOT of use. I always pre-load 12 magazines to save time when arriving at the range. They are all Kimber mags and I've never had any issues with them.

Fan of the older Classic Kimber's made years ago. Lot of value for the dollar invested. I would rather carefully shop and buy an older Kimber than a new one. That being said..my Kimber experience has been excellent. Guns are accurate right out of the box and work fine. I replaced the existing sights with those made by Heine to fit the kimber dove tail.

check this out-its not mine but a good example of what I would buy..

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=280505113

I have had that same gun for 14 years now and I love it. I have well over 20,000 rounds through it. That being said I wouldn't buy a Kimber today with the II designation behind the model. There are better quality 1911's for that kind of money. One disappointing thing about all kimbers is the plastic mainspring housing...it has to be replaced..and I still can't believe they are that cheap to put plastic on such a nice looking gun!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Simo Hayha</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Fan of the older Classic Kimber's made years ago. Lot of value for the dollar invested. I would rather carefully shop and buy an older Kimber than a new one. That being said..my Kimber experience has been excellent. Guns are accurate right out of the box and work fine. I replaced the existing sights with those made by Heine to fit the kimber dove tail.

check this out-its not mine but a good example of what I would buy..

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=280505113 </div></div>