• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors kimber 1911s whats the problem

HOOFER

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Mar 15, 2007
lewistown, MT, Colorado
i wanna know what peoples beef with kimber is. ive seen it a lot lately and wanna know why a lot of people think they are garbage. cheap pistols. everyone says they are crappy and i dont understand where they get this, lapd swat, marine force recon both use kimber 1911s and im sure other groups do as well. is this just an opinion that they suck or is there some documentation. i have a custom II tle/RL and i have shot thousands of rounds through it and its never once let me down. and i know the warriors are close to the same pistol and they are reliable as well. so im just curious where all this comes from, please fill me in i am aware of the firing pin disconnect, is that it i think alot of people compare them to high end guns, les baer, wilson combat. sti

just curious

thanks
josh

Re: kimber 1911s whats the problem

MIM parts

I replaced everything on my Warrior with the exception of the frame, slide, sights and barrel.

psywar just curious did you replace these parts due to an issue or just because you wanted to. you replaced all the springs and guide rod and hammer and all that as well. what brand of stuff did you use.

A series 1 pistol is a handmade production pistol, all parts forged, fitted, and are great pistols, back in the day they competed with the Wilsons at half the cost, they sold well. Later after the word was out that there great pistols, series two come along, piece of shit external extractors, Kalifornia legal this and that, Kimber started using MIM to save the money on production cost and boosting profits, all the while people still thinking that there handmade, they redesigned the series 2 with JMB internal extractors, and continued to use cheapass MIM for everything. Kimber like Luepold has great customer service, and Kimber like Luepold uses cheapass parts and still continues to charge the same money.

I have a couple of pre-Series-II Kimbers. One was reliable out of the box; the other was not. Both have had mild makeovers by reputable 1911 'smiths and have been through multiple training classes. The original Kimbers offered many "custom" features that one would otherwise have to pay significant money and wait for a pistolsmith to do on a GI-type 1911.

It was my understanding that even the early Kimber pistols used MIM parts, and they learned that they were not appropriate for barrel bushings due to premature failures and stopped using that process for them. MIM may be OK for safeties and other parts that might otherwise be cast, but it may not be as durable for fire-control components and the like.

Where Kimber really got derailed IMO was when they began using the Schwartz "safety" and the external extractor. They never could be the extractor to work well and have since gone back to the internal extractor. I like my Pre-Series-II pistols and would buy another, but I would not buy a Series-II gun. With any of them I'd expect to invest in at least a reliability job before I'd trust my life to it.

A friend tried to talk me into a Kimber about ten years ago. I did a little research and couldn't believe the number of problems I was hearing about. Even the friend who was trying to get me to buy one had to send his back THREE times before it would run properly and it was a series 1.

I ended up buying a pair of Ed Browns and later going to Springfield PRO's. I have no regrets.

I bought my Kimber in 03, there was FTE problem due to external extractor, contacted Kimber, they took the pistol back and changed to internal extractor without question, polished, and fine tuned the whole thing and sent back to me. Not a problem since. I do also heard many complains about them lately, maybe I am one of the lucky ones that it hasn't have any issue since then.

They sell a lot of guns these days to a lot of people that don't know much about
them. But in fairness their consistency doesn't seem to be what it was. Mine has won
me a good many falling plate shoots over the years so I am partial to them. Only
a broken rear sight (MIM), which they promptly replaced, in 14 years. Of coarse new
recoil and mag springs as needed.

I have a buddy who just got a Kimber match 45, went out and shot it and while he cleaned it looked down the barrel. Rifling was deep and normal on one side of barrel and very faint on other side and this is a match gun ! ! !

Own 2 Custom II Kimbers. 700.00 in my hands for each one. Are they Wilsons or Les Baers? Nah..but they go bang each time I pull the trigger and make A zone hits.

My very first one now has roughtly 19K through her and all I do is change the springs here and there to keep her running strong.

A lot of folks that bitch about the Kimbers own the purdy ones that still look NIB...never been shot or abused..however since they cost over 2K each they must be that much better.

Vu

Ok, you asked Ill explain. I dont like the new MIMbers because of the MIM parts to start with. About ten or so years ago when I started buying pistols I saw Kimbers, they were great, was fine workmanship put into them and pretty much a custom gun but not much more than production prices. They were an AWESOME value, and I wish I would have bought every single one of them that I handled back then. The pistols of today are basically just a production gun and are selling for semi custom prices. MIMber pistols of today are just that, a bunch of MIM parts that are put into a frame and slide, but people are still buying them because they USED to be the cats ass in a value 1911.

A 1911 is supposed to be made of metal, COMPLETELY metal, yet the mainspring housing is plastic on the latest offerings. I dont mind people making a profit, but I have a problem with substandard parts being used. MIM might work for non stressed parts, or parts that dont move a lot. What parts on a pistol fit that bill?

For me personally I think the best value which is what the older Kimbers used to be the best value in buying a 1911, now belongs to the Springfield Loaded series.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Outsydlooknin75</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ok, you asked Ill explain. I dont like the new MIMbers because of the MIM parts to start with. About ten or so years ago when I started buying pistols I saw Kimbers, they were great, was fine workmanship put into them and pretty much a custom gun but not much more than production prices. They were an AWESOME value, and I wish I would have bought every single one of them that I handled back then. The pistols of today are basically just a production gun and are selling for semi custom prices. MIMber pistols of today are just that, a bunch of MIM parts that are put into a frame and slide, but people are still buying them because they USED to be the cats ass in a value 1911.

A 1911 is supposed to be made of metal, COMPLETELY metal, yet the mainspring housing is plastic on the latest offerings. I dont mind people making a profit, but I have a problem with substandard parts being used. MIM might work for non stressed parts, or parts that dont move a lot. What parts on a pistol fit that bill?

For me personally I think the best value which is what the older Kimbers used to be the best value in buying a 1911, now belongs to the Springfield Loaded series. </div></div>

I see your point and concerns but how many of the MIM parts have you broken? I am curious because I have yet to break anything on my Kimbers.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I see your point and concerns but how many of the MIM parts have you broken? I am curious because I have yet to break anything on my Kimbers.</div></div>

Neither did I (over 30K in an Eclipse II), but MIM, while stronger than cast isn't as strong as forged/milled parts. I have no problem using MIM at the range, but it ain't going on the hip.

IMO Kimber's quality went south when their popularity exploded. Judging by the number of problems right out of the box, their QC program must be in a drawer somewhere. The swartz and external extractors were solutions to nonexistent problems.

Also, the name Custom (on a Kimber) is just that...a name.

I have a TLE RL II that has 10+ thousand rounds through it. It had to go back to the factory once to get the Schwartz safety system to work properly and even then it had issues aftrerwards.

Unlike other posters here I don't feel MIM parts are the end of the world. In certain applications they may work fine...as long as they are made well.

I have however switched to Springfield because I just don't care for either the Schwartz safety or the external extractors on the Kimbers. While they have fixed one of these problems by going back to an internal extractor, I'm still not inclined to switch back.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Unlike other posters here I don't feel MIM parts are the end of the world.</div></div>

I don't disagree with that, but if better is available...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: buggsb</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I have however switched to Springfield because I just don't care for either the Schwartz safety or the external extractors on the Kimbers. While they have fixed one of these problems by going back to an internal extractor, I'm still not inclined to switch back.

</div></div>

The Swartz safety interfered with the Ed Brown extractor I put in, so I took it out. Pop the rear sight off and it will fall right out, no more problems. Still prefer my Springfield, though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Vu</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Outsydlooknin75</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ok, you asked Ill explain. I dont like the new MIMbers because of the MIM parts to start with. About ten or so years ago when I started buying pistols I saw Kimbers, they were great, was fine workmanship put into them and pretty much a custom gun but not much more than production prices. They were an AWESOME value, and I wish I would have bought every single one of them that I handled back then. The pistols of today are basically just a production gun and are selling for semi custom prices. MIMber pistols of today are just that, a bunch of MIM parts that are put into a frame and slide, but people are still buying them because they USED to be the cats ass in a value 1911.

For me personally I think the best value which is what the older Kimbers used to be the best value in buying a 1911, now belongs to the Springfield Loaded series. </div></div>

I see your point and concerns but how many of the MIM parts have you broken? I am curious because I have yet to break anything on my Kimbers.

</div></div>

I am a part time RO for an outdoor range. I personally have not broken any MIM parts but I have seen them break. I have seen a safety snap in half.

Like other posters have said ... I dont trust something that is MIM when there can be a machined steel piece. And the custom designation is simply that a designation and a word, with Kimber it means nothing special.

I know a lot of folks share the same opinion on Kimbers, Larry Vickers seems to share the same thoughts as well.

I understand that some parts are going to wear, that happens. But if I spend the money for a Kimber I feel I shouldnt have the same thing as a Rock Island that I have replaced all the internals on. RIA's arent bad pistols but what does everyone say to do after buying one, replace all internal parts with quality. After you have done that and spent X number of dollars on the smith work and buying the parts you still have an entry level gun that is worth less than what you paid for it although you have X number of upgrades done to it. If you do the same thing with a Kimber, take out all the MIM parts and replace with machined steel you basically have done the smae as buying a RIA. Why not spend a whole lot less and buy the RIA then build it up .... I mean a frame and slide is a frame and slide isnt it?

When kimber first started in OR they made amazing 1911's for the price, those guns still fetch more than they cost in nice shape. A buddy of mine has an old original and it is right on par with wilson/baer/etc. However, once they changed hands and moved to NY they tanked bigtime, and they are still selling on their marketing and that established reputation.

I selected the SIS Government model since it is built like a series 70 and can actually be taken apart and cleaned without a third hand. So far So good.

I did my replacement as a pre-emptive strike, replaced everything with a mix of USGI and Wilson Combat parts.

They were real USGI, not Gunshow "These are USGI parts"
wink.gif

Im glad i saw this post. I thought i was the only one that thought their craftsmanship has been slipping over the past few years. Everyone I tell this to in the military balks at me like im a lunatic. I think springfield and kimber switched places. I used to think springfields weren't the greatest. I had 3 of them and they all gave me problems (this was 6-8 years ago) Now from what i hear they are doing very well. The exact opposite with kimber. For my money id rather have a springfield or even a para ord. Maybe spend a little better money to pick up a wilson, caspian, baer, ect.

I have bought numerous kimbers and had some initial function issues with a few. Now when I buy one, I lap the slide and rails with some toothpaste for about 200 - 300 cycles, clean, oil and reassemble. Not an issue with one of them since doing this. Ref the MIM parts, if you shoot an 870, probably one of the most reliable shotguns made, they have MIM parts in them as well. I will buy either a les Baer or Wislon CQB in the future, but from what I hear, these guys are also feeling the sting of rising costs. They are still great guns, but are they as good as they were 20 years ago?

In many cases across all sports/hobbies/etc. when a company gets too big quality drops off, at least in how consistant one product of theirs is to another.

So is the Colt rebuilt by wilson 20 years ago when they had 2 guys doing all the work better than the wilson built today that probably has 4-5 different guys work on the same gun (unless it's a supergrade) that's hard to say. The same could be said for Baer or Nighthawk, are their current guns now that they are established and have more guys working on them worse than their early guns.....hard to say. The more employees you have, the greater the variation in your end product, period. Some guys go the extra mile, some don't. Is the guy building your $3000 1911, or .308 rifle a guy they hired 3 months ago, or is he the guy they built their reputation on. Is he the guy that rushes to get done by 3pm on friday, or is he the guy that stays till 7pm takes his time to make sure it's absolutely right. If a small mistake is made, is he the guy that says "the customer won't notice, I'll just build it anyway" or the guy that won't accept that and starts over. I can tell you the later is a very rare person, and if a shop has 10 guys working in it, I guarantee less than half of them are that guy at best.

The real trick, the best consistent quality you will find and I don't care if it's hand made mountain bikes, rifles, handguns, snowboards, boots, knives etc. etc. is if you can find the small relatively unheard of and carefully guarded by those that use them shops/guys that are one maybe two guy operations. They usually are not cheap, they are not fast, but the end product is superior.

Find a top benchrest rifle smith that has 10 guys working on building guns in his shop.....it doesn't happen, they are all 1-2 maybe 3 guy operations, wait times are long, prices are high, and the accuracy they turn out is hands down amazing. You can't have 10-15 guys working in a shop and turn out that kind of quality across the board.

I have owned three. Very nice pistols, especially liked the CDP's. But they all had multiple failures, especially with hollow points. Every 1911 I have owned has had failures, but I still love them. But for a carry piece, I prefer Glock. Flame away.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ToddM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">In many cases across all sports/hobbies/etc. when a company gets too big quality drops off, at least in how consistant one product of theirs is to another.

So is the Colt rebuilt by wilson 20 years ago when they had 2 guys doing all the work better than the wilson built today that probably has 4-5 different guys work on the same gun (unless it's a supergrade) that's hard to say. The same could be said for Baer or Nighthawk, are their current guns now that they are established and have more guys working on them worse than their early guns.....hard to say. The more employees you have, the greater the variation in your end product, period. Some guys go the extra mile, some don't. Is the guy building your $3000 1911, or .308 rifle a guy they hired 3 months ago, or is he the guy they built their reputation on. Is he the guy that rushes to get done by 3pm on friday, or is he the guy that stays till 7pm takes his time to make sure it's absolutely right. If a small mistake is made, is he the guy that says "the customer won't notice, I'll just build it anyway" or the guy that won't accept that and starts over. I can tell you the later is a very rare person, and if a shop has 10 guys working in it, I guarantee less than half of them are that guy at best.

The real trick, the best consistent quality you will find and I don't care if it's hand made mountain bikes, rifles, handguns, snowboards, boots, knives etc. etc. is if you can find the small relatively unheard of and carefully guarded by those that use them shops/guys that are one maybe two guy operations. They usually are not cheap, they are not fast, but the end product is superior.

Find a top benchrest rifle smith that has 10 guys working on building guns in his shop.....it doesn't happen, they are all 1-2 maybe 3 guy operations, wait times are long, prices are high, and the accuracy they turn out is hands down amazing. You can't have 10-15 guys working in a shop and turn out that kind of quality across the board. </div></div>

The .mil does a pretty good job.

I have the Kimber Stainless Gold Combat II. Came with the original external extractor. It was a jamomatic. Returned it to Kimber for a new slide with internal extractor. Had some final tweeking by a local gunsmith to adjust extractor tension. It now has 15,000 rounds through it in IDPA competition. I'm super pleased with it. Still shoots great. Still has original MIM parts. I would prefer forged but until something breaks, I aint fixin it.

I'm really happy with my warrior. I bought it from a coworker and the only problem he had was it apparently skipped QC and a .40S&W barrel was put in it. Sent it back to get replaced and that was that.

I don't know that much about all the aftermarket parts so I'm not going to change them out because everything works.

I've got a Kimber Series I that is a wonderful pistol. Having said that, it has taken a few additions to make it a true 1911.

I've replaced the MSH (plastic), all the MIM parts, trigger (plastic), and a few other parts.

IMO a 1911 with a plastic MSH is just silly. The MIM mentioned before is also a stumbling block for many folks who'd otherwise think Kimber was a decent production 1911.

Again, IMO, the Series 70 internals is the way to go when selecting a 1911. The Series I Kimbers have no political safety. As of now, the Series II Kimbers are all Series 80, with the political safety. Now, there are a few Kimber II's that do not use the Series 80 internal parts, namely the Warrior and SIS pistols.

Again, IMO, a real 1911 doesn't have an external extractor; something Kimber dabbled in a few years ago with Series II 1911's and luckily a practice they curtailed after horrible reports from the field.

Unfortunately, Kimber has gotten a little sloppy in their production/QC after their move from Clackamas, OR to Yonkers, NY.

IMO, they' Kimber Series I's are a good 1911 pistol that makes a fantastic base gun for custom work. I'd stay away from the Series II's unless it was an SIS or a Warrior.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mopseydocks6014</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm really happy with my warrior. I bought it from a coworker and the only problem he had was <span style="color: #FF0000">it apparently skipped QC and a .40S&W barrel was put in it.</span> Sent it back to get replaced and that was that.

I don't know that much about all the aftermarket parts so I'm not going to change them out because everything works. </div></div>

UM thats a pretty large fuck up if you ask me, basically they sent a completely non functional pistol out the door. I dont think that 45 mags are gonna hold 40 short and weak, and a 45 damn sure aint gonna feed into a 40 chamber.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I bought it from a coworker and the only problem he had was it apparently skipped QC and a .40S&W barrel was put in it.</div></div>

So much for factory test firing.

thanks everyone for the information i guess i wasnt aware. even so ive never had a problem with mine its been nothing but reliable for me and it doesnt get cleaned as often as it should. so if i were to replace internal parts what parts need replacing on the kimbers series II and what parts have people had failures with, ive seen the thumb safeties in a few posts so that must be legit,

thanks josh

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rjb661</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Excuse my being a retard, but what are "MIM" parts? </div></div>

MIM, Meteal Injection Molding. Basically taking powdered metal and adding a hardener, heating and compressing, to make "metal"

I see a lot of bullshit in this post.

No Kimber has Series 80 parts, nor has it ever.

I have two Yonkers Series I Kimbers and both of them run great.

Springfield Armory has a way better reputation on the Internet, but I have yet to see one of their guns in person that fits anywhere near as well as a Kimber (even those that cost 2x what either of mine cost me).

I'll keep my Kimbers. I hope everyone continues to hate them so I can buy them cheap.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Outsydlooknin75</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rjb661</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Excuse my being a retard, but what are "MIM" parts? </div></div>

MIM, Meteal Injection Molding. Basically taking powdered metal and adding a hardener, heating and compressing, to make "metal" </div></div>

And the connecting rods in your car very well might be made the same way. And if they fail, you're walking home.

The hatred of MIM came from a few isolated incidents. If people actually understood how common the use of MIM parts are, this ignorance would end.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If people actually understood how common the use of MIM parts are, this ignorance would end.</div></div>

I'll take MIM over cast. I'll take forged/machined over MIM. If available, why not use a stronger part?

My beef with Kimber isn't MIM, it's lack of QC.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I see a lot of bullshit in this post.

No Kimber has Series 80 parts, nor has it ever.
</div></div>

Regardless of what you'd like to call it, the major difference between Series I and II Kimbers (and Series 70 and 80 Colts) is the addition of a firing pin safety which is what my post said.

While I see my post could be interpreted as all Kimber Series II's having all Colt Series 80 parts it is hardly worth the "bullshit" title you put on it.

It proves if you want to find bullshit you will. Regardless, IMO, plastic, MIM, and firing pin safeties shouldn't be on a 1911. Is that "bullshit" too?

Wrong. The safety on Series II Kimbers is deactivated with the grip safety. The Series 80 safety is not only totally mechanically different, but it is released by the trigger pull.

MIM is on every non-custom produced 1911 pistol, and perhaps even every production pistol of any make. MIM is not the problem. If MIM was a problem, most cars would be on the side of the road instead of driving on it.

My Kimbers don't have any plastic nor do they have firing pin safeties. They also have superior fit to any Springfield that I've ever seen, including the one linked to above..where you can clearly see that the grip safety has been rubbing on the frame.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My Kimbers don't have any plastic nor do they have firing pin safeties. </div></div>

Neither do mine. I put the plastic and swartz pieces in the same box with the MIM.

Maybe engine manfacturers have a better MIM process. I see a lot more engines than 1911s and I've seen more broken 1911 MIM parts than broken connecting rods (quite a few bent ones, though).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EddieNFL</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
My beef with Kimber isn't MIM, it's lack of QC. </div></div>

If I observed that, I probably wouldn't buy one either. I probably wouldn't buy a Series II Kimber, either.

Different mechanism, same idea. Whether it be a trigger or an extra grip safety, IMO, it doesn't belong in a 1911. Bullshit to you, technichality to me, but you're technically correct. Thanks for putting my mind right.

Kimber, in order to sale their 1911's in CA, put in a grip/trigger safety. They've also toyed with an unproven external extractor. They've put plastic triggers and MSMs on their 1911s. I've had small MIM parts break in my Kimbers, thus my feelings about MIM; all silly business decisions based on the bottom line over the wants/needs of shooters. While I understand running a business, the above features don't belong in a 1911. Call me particular.

All in all, they've got their flaws, but I agree with your assessment about fit/finish of the Kimber over the Springfield production 1911s too. Bullshit or not, I'm not a fan of plastic, MIM, external extractors, and extra safeties on 1911s. Call me crazy.

I have a an older yonkers series 1 stainless custom match with the old style extractor and a newer Kimber Tactical with the side extractor and alluminum frame. I have had some ftf on both but I have since replaced recoil springs with wilson combat stuff as well as Wilson 8rd mags. The stainless match has a very tight fit but it's accuracy is mind blowing. I can hit targets at 50 yards that others have to shoot at 25 yards. The tight patterns or grouping is some of the best I have ever seen out of a handgun. Yes it starts to gum up at about 100 rounds ( but still cycles)but I can live with that. After it's cleaned and lighly lubed, it is heaven in the hand when you cycle a round. When I want to fire a massive amount of rounds I grabb my H&K or my Sig....When i want to shoot the eyeballs out of the head of the target or put a smiley face on the target....I'll grabb the older Kimber. My newer Kimber tactical with the side extractor has not failed me yet. It has a rough trigger but that can be fixed. The Wilson spring kit and a good cleaning ever so often serves it well....The aluminum frame and feed ramp has held up flawlessly so far although I wish the feed ramp was a stailess insert for resisting wear. I have shot about 600 rounds thru this weapon and have shot 230 grain HPs and 185+P hydro-shocks thru this with aplomb...The majority of the rounds have been 230 grain ball ammo. My older kimber, I would not part with.....ever. My tactical.......so far so good. It is a super light carry and still has a 5" full length barrel. Others have shot it and they love it... I think the triggers crap but I have dragged my feet on sending it off for a trigger job...Thats my fault.......SmokeRolls