• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Kimber 82G Scope Mount

hntbambi

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 11, 2010
Las Cruces, NM
Does anyone make a 20 or greater MOA scope base for the Kimber 82G that CMP is selling? I just ordered one and can use the Burris Signnature Rings but I'd rather do it the right way.

Re: Kimber 82G Scope Mount

Yep, I just ordered the extended version of that one. If it is too sloppy of a fit, I will drill and tap the dovetail and bed the mount. Should be a fun toy. Now the hurry up and wait for CMP to ship it.

Thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kew308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">http://www.diproductsinc.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=112052&CAT=3662
</div></div>

I tried that one and it would not even come close to fitting. That mount is made for the CZ 452 series of rifles that have a flat top receiver. The Kimber has a round top receiver and the radius prevents the mount from going on.

I called dip when I ordered mine to be sure I hot the right one. It fit like a glove and I've been rockin my Kimber ever since!!

I also have the EGW mount and would not recommend it to anyone, but I do not like cantilever mounts..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hntbambi</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does anyone make a 20 or greater MOA scope base for the Kimber 82G that CMP is selling? I just ordered one and can use the Burris Signnature Rings but I'd rather do it the right way. </div></div>
You can have Cameron Murphy of <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Murphy Precision</span></span> make a base for you with whatever cant you want. All you have to do i draw a simple diagram of the receiver's top layout with ACCURATE DIMENSIONS so Camerson can design and machine the base to fit the 82G action exactly. I had Cameron make me a 25 MOA Two-Piece Base for a Kimber Model 82B Classic Sporter (detachable magazine-fed Repeater) a little over a year ago. See my <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">"Murphy Precision Kimber Model 82A/B 25 MOA Base"</span></span> post for more info and photos.

Or, you could get a USO (U.S. Optics) base for the 82G. It's not on their web site, but USO (U.S. Optics) makes a 20 MOA Extended base for the (Kimber) Model 82G ("Government") single shot training rifle. I don't have any photos of it, but I've seen it in person at USO. Just be sure that you get the base for the 82G (when I saw the 82G base the guys also pulled-out a base for a <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">"Kimber 22"</span></span>, which is a totally different animal that was manufactured years later by a completely different Kimber Company).

Personally, I would buy a Kimber Model 82 Sporter as they are very accurate, but to each his own. The Model 82 Sporters were guaranteed to shoot .400" or better at 50 yards and shipped with a laminated 5-shot "proof" card. I own three (3) Kimber Model 82s' in .22LR and they are all beautiful tack-drivers. Since Cameron Murphy already has the "pattern" for the Sporter (Repeater) action you should be able to order a 25 MOA or other two-piece base to fit a fit Kimber Model 82A, 82B, or 82C rifle (I have each action so I know that the base fits). If you must have a one piece base Cameron could also make you a one-piece base based on the dimensions I provided for him on the diagram I sketched-up for him when he made my base.

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Kimber Model 82B Classic with PMII 5-25X[56mm] + USO ARD, Murphy Precision 25 MOA Two-Piece Base, & NEAR Manufacturing Rings:</span></span>
Kimber82BMurphyPrecisionPMII5-25XRS45DCloseup8x6.jpg

Kimber82BMurphyPrecisionPMII5-25XLS45DCloseup8x6.jpg

Kimber82BMurphyPrecisionPMII5-25X18x6.jpg

Kimber82BMurphyPrecisionPMII5-25X38x6.jpg

Keith

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WSprtuaL</div><div class="ubbcode-body">EGW's Winchester 52 base fits the 82G. Let me add that I do not own one so I can not speak to how well it fits.

EGW Winchester 52 Tactical Picatinny Rail Scope Mount </div></div>

I'm willing to try that mount, but I have some concerns about it and would like to hear from people who have tried it on a Kimber 82G before I buy it. Once burned, twice cautious.

First, I was hoping to find a mount that would engage the 11mm dovetail on the top of the receiver, in the hope that it would be reasonably strong and would return reasonably close to zero after removal and replacement. This mount attaches to the barrel after removing the scope mounting block there, and cantilevers rearward over the receiver.

At least that's how it appears to me without having actually tried to fit it. So I would be trying to support a fairly long and heavy scope on a fairly long cantilever. That might work out fine under gentle range conditions, but I expect to be using this rifle as a long range hunting trainer under reasonably rugged field conditions. So I am a bit concerned about this mount's ruggedness.

Second, I am not confident that that mount would return closely to zero after removal and replacement. Again, I think this is a cantilever issue.

Third, it looks like that mount might overly impede access to the loading port and inhibit ejection and loading in a single shot rifle. I can't tell without trying this mount if it would make loading and ejection merely slightly more difficult, or nearly impossible.

So, although this mount may well fit the 82G, I would like to hear whether or not it actually works out well, practically speaking.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dantrom</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I called dip when I ordered mine to be sure I hot the right one. It fit like a glove and I've been rockin my Kimber ever since!!

I also have the EGW mount and would not recommend it to anyone, but I do not like cantilever mounts.. </div></div>

The one I ordered was Part Number 19018; "452/453/455 11mm 25MOA Scope mount". The description said "We have been told these fit nicely on the Kimber 82G..."

The one I got was not even close. Like a fool, I tried modifying it to fit. I got it to slide about an inch onto the dovetail before I gave it up as hopeless, and in the process I voided any warranty that might have existed.

Maybe I ordered the wrong one, or maybe the clerk at DIP put the wrong one in the package. Which one did you order? Do you have the part number?

I am running the EGW 0 moa win52 mount on my Rem. 37....it is very stout....A old Tasco jap 24x is on top of it....Have to agree with the above, My Kimber 82 B model is a much more accurate rifle than the G...2wice the price though..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: thickstrings</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I am running the EGW 0 moa win52 mount on my Rem. 37....it is very stout....A old Tasco jap 24x is on top of it....Have to agree with the above, <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">My Kimber 82 B model is a much more accurate rifle than the G...2wice the price though..</span></span> </div></div>
Yes, there is the price issue, but you get what you pay for. The 82Gs' have always been "rack grade" rifles while the Sporters' have always had much better fit and finish. The Kimber Model 82 Sporters were really non-custom, custom rifles. And they're also Repeaters. That's a big plus in my book because you at least have 4 shots instead of having to tediously single load every round.

Keith

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nervous</div><div class="ubbcode-body">On my Kimber 82G I used the DIP 20moa rail that was for the Anschutz 54.

Nervous </div></div>

Thanks, I'll give that a try when they get them in stock.