• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Kimber 84 M LTP strange grooves in chamber

DTOM Tim

Private
Minuteman
Feb 14, 2022
Sacramento, Ca
I have a Kimber 84M Light Tactical Police .308 and im wondering if anyone can tell me the purpose of the strange grooves in the chamber. It actually prints these grooves on the spent case after firing. You can feel them if you drag your finger nail across it. And they're even noticeable after resizing the brass. The rifle is a sub moa shooter all day, but these grooves in the chamber have me stumped. The only thing I could think is that they would aid extraction.

Attachments

• 2022-02-13-14-39-09.png
    2022-02-13-14-39-09.png
    773.1 KB · Views: 70
Oddly the Kimber site mentions nothing about it. Maybe LaRue is making their barrels :LOL:

Oddly the Kimber site mentions nothing about it. Maybe LaRue is making their barrels :LOL:
I know this is an older 84 LTP...... it was kind of a New Old Stock rifle I got a smoking deal on it from a gun shop that was closing down. It was the first generation I believe, you can tell because it's not ambidextrous at all, the stock is definitely set up for a right-handed shooter only. The newer ones are more Lefty friendly
20220214_163333.jpg
here's a picture of a reloaded case. You can definitely see the imprint of the chamber around the shoulder of the case but they run the full length. It's much easier to see before the brass has been resized and tumbled. But it looks very similar to the fluted Chambers found on an HK G3

Perhaps a search of some of their older marketing may reveal some hints. But yeah is similar to what HK and LaRue (XTRAXN) did.

If you are able to properly resize them and the brass holds up consider yourself lucky.

Perhaps a search of some of their older marketing may reveal some hints. But yeah is similar to what HK and LaRue (XTRAXN) did.

If you are able to properly resize them and the brass holds up consider yourself lucky.
No idea if the brass will hold up. Ive only resized it once so far. I checked on kimber's website and I can't send them a message via email, but I will try calling them tomorrow.

Reminds me of the G3 H&K. Definitely looks intentional.
ETA- call kimber and ask them why you have a fluted chamber and if its intentional.
It does remind me of the brass that came out of my HK-91. The fluting in the H&K was somewhat more pronounced. It's been a long time since the H&K for me so someone else here probably has a good photo of what the H&K does to brass.

@DTOM Tim , sorry about the bad joke but someone had to do it. It's a thing here :)

edit below

hk-g3-spent-brass-chamber-flute-stripes.jpg

The fluting was placed in the chamber to ease extraction. At least you don't have to put up with the horrendous dents that the G3 can put in a spent case .

Last edited:
It does remind me of the brass that came out of my HK-91. The fluting in the H&K was somewhat more pronounced. It's been a long time since the H&K for me so someone else here probably has a good photo of what the H&K does to brass.

@DTOM Tim , sorry about the bad joke but someone had to do it. It's a thing here :)

edit below

View attachment 7807976
The fluting was placed in the chamber to ease extraction. At least you don't have to put up with the horrendous dents that the G3 can put in a spent case .
All good, ive got thick skin so nothing is off limits with me (except the size of my kids foreheads🤣🤣)

That is chatter from running lathe spindle rpm and feed rate too fast for the reamer. There is nothing you can do about it, it could be polished out but over polishing a chamber leads to more problems.

That is chatter from running lathe spindle rpm and feed rate too fast for the reamer. There is nothing you can do about it, it could be polished out but over polishing a chamber leads to more problems.
That sucks. I would expect better QC considering the MSRP of this rifle. Would it have any negative effects on the rifle or brass?

That sucks. I would expect better QC considering the MSRP of this rifle. Would it have any negative effects on the rifle or brass?
It could lower the life of the brass a little, maybe. If it's not causing any problems other than aesthetics I would just shoot it and let it be.

It could lower the life of the brass a little, maybe. If it's not causing any problems other than aesthetics I would just shoot it and let it be.
So being that it's a $1,300 rifle, and that seems like pretty piss-poor quality control if it was unintentional, do you think it's worth complaining about it to Kimber? I bought it brand-new a couple years ago but just started working with it a couple months ago

So being that it's a $1,300 rifle, and that seems like pretty piss-poor quality control if it was unintentional, do you think it's worth complaining about it to Kimber? I bought it brand-new a couple years ago but just started working with it a couple months ago
You should see what they have to say and if they do anything about it. You would have to send it back for warranty work. Then you'll get a better looking chamber and possibly a barrel that doesn't shoot as good. So it could be a toss up.

You should see what they have to say and if they do anything about it. You would have to send it back for warranty work. Then you'll get a better looking chamber and possibly a barrel that doesn't shoot as good. So it could be a toss up.
Thats true. I don't think they make that Barrel anymore