• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Kimber 8400 Tactical for beginner shooter?

leroyZjenkins

Private
Minuteman
Nov 17, 2011
Im trying to get into 1000 yard shooting. I'd like to get something a little better than an entry build and also something you dont see every day but without breaking the bank. I stumbled upon kimber's rifles and I'm wondering if anyone on the forum has one or has shot one.

Trued bolt face, hand-finished chamber, handlapped lugs, custom glass bedding and a McMillan stock... these rifles look pretty sweet at around $2200.

What ya think?

Kimber 8400 Tactical

Re: Kimber 8400 Tactical for beginner shooter?

They certinaly look good for the money. Too bad they don't offer them in any good calibers.

308 and 300 win mag arent good calibers?!?!

Keep in mind there is about zero after market support and kimbers customer service is known to be spotty at best.

2200$ opens up a lot of options. If it were my 2200 there is no way in hell id sink it into a kimber 8400.

Have a custom built by one of the smith's here, you'll be much happier. Hell take a Rem 700 5R and have it bedded into a McM A5 by one of the smiths here and you'll still be much happier. I ha ve owned the 308 and 300WM and if you dig around and do a search here you will see how the 300wm turned out.

Kimpro finish in the bore
"custom bedding" was horrible

Ended up having a smith Pillar bed them and they turned out to be great rifles but I ended up getting a Used GAP for half the cost and shot better.

BTW CDI makes a DBM setup for the 308 8400 AT.

As far as Service, Kimber has done me right on my 223 Longmaster classic that the chamber was not fully cut and did me right on a 7mm-08 84m that was delivered to my dealer with rust in the bore directly from kimber. turn around on both were less than 3 weeks.

Kimber 300WM

OR take a look at these in the Firearms for Sale section.

SAC SPR's

Mark Gordon is building some great rifles up in Ohio.....and one is in your price range.

I am by no means qualified to give significant advice on LR rifle shooting. Most I have shot is 400 yards. But I was in your boat about 3 years ago. I would pass on the Kimber. I mean if the price were correct, sure as something to learn on. But $2200? For a Kimber. I think not.

I ended up getting a FN SPR A3g. It came with a test target which was really important to me at the time. I wanted to know that if I missed, it was me not the rifle. Also...being a noob I wanted something that would give me a little breathing room as far as the barrel. It used to be a few years ago everyone was wigged out about HOW to properly break in a rifle barrel. Probably still happens.

The FN I purchased has a chrome lined barrel. It is rated to last 10,000 rounds. It is what it is. And being chrome lined, there was was even less bugaboo about break-in. I also liked the idea that I was less likely to screw it up cleaning it.

This isn't a post telling you to get an FN like mine. Far from it. But I paid BRAND-NEW for my FN SPR A3g $2500ish. Full retail.

An FN SPR A3g just sold yesterday on the hide for $1875ish. Basically brand-new, with a few hundred rounds through it. And a BETTER test target than my rifle. I am not in the market for a second rifle as I wish to spend my money and time mastering the one bolt-gun I own. But at that price, I was sorely tempted.

Coming in and having a budget in the $2200 range buys a lot of damn rifle. Especially on the secondary market. A lot of damn rifle. And here is the secret I have figured out...

Most of the frequent members on this forum are, how shall I put it, "gear happy". These guys buy and sell and trade into rifles and optics constantly. So even the ones who shoot a lot aren't necessarily wearing out rifles or optics you see in the forsale section. Most of it is cherry new or damn near.

My advice would be to buy once and cry once. You are looking at $2200 for a Kimber, why don't you identify a basic rifle you are interested in (be it options or maker) and check the forsale section daily. You won't be waiting long. I bet you will have more options to choose from in a day than you can shake your stick at.

Soooo....being a new guy like me...let's start somewhere. I suggest 308/7.62. Probably a bolt gun. Now decide if you want something that has a detachable magazine or not. Note: this can be changed later, so you aren't committed.

I recommend 308 since it is the "standard" round. Military and tactical shooters use. There are a ton of high-quality match loadings available until you get to a place to roll your own. You will eventually. But with 308 you can wait as long as you need.

If for some reason you want the "best" caliber and want to follow what the uber-shooters run. Honestly that will not be 308. The 6.5's, Creedmore's, 338's, etc etc have much better ballistic coefficients. Meaning they shoot flatter, farther and are less bothered by wind. But you will be hand-loading fairly quick.

But....you can shoot way, way out with 308. It is by no means limited from a practical sense. But as your OP states, you are starting off by saying you want 1000 yard rifle.

Are you like me and say 1000 yard rifle since you want the option? Or are you looking out your window right now at a 1000 yard range? If 1000 yards is truly in your very frequent rifle shooting, maybe 308 isn't the best. But you can do it. And you will get mass respect for doing it. Military snipers do it all day.

I have been in my bolt gun for a little over three years. Still learning and working on things. Just now got into hand-loading. I shoot more than most. But certainly not all. I go to training facilities and local ranges. And have even been to Camp Perry to shop and watch. In 4 years, I have as of yet to personally even see a 1000 yard range. 600 has been the max and my shooting has been 400.

So before we get all wrapped around the axle with 1000 yard rifle, let's define your real potential uses. All I can really offer is my experiences. I am getting a grasp on 400 yards. Soon I will have it cold. Eventually I will get to 600 yards. At some point I will get to 1000. But I will be a guy really going from 600 to 1000. Not 1 to 1000.

In closing, I really don't know much. Still working out the kinks in my world. But I am getting there. If it were me, I suggest you buy 308 in the FS section. And go from there.

You can even buy a nice rifle and work you way up with optics. Buy something affordable to learn on for 1-300 yards and then when your cash reserves come back, buy a basically brand-new uber piece of glass in the FS section.

Bottom line: pass on the Kimber.

Regards,
Greyson

I got one used lightly, with nice glass for a great deal. I don't know that I would've paid retail for it, but I'm really happy with how it shoots.

~Mitch