• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Kimber Advanced Tactical 300WM, Taken to 200 yard

Kells81

Slacker
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Nov 15, 2006
    Granbury TX
    So in an earlier post I posted pics of a Kimber Advanced Tactical 300WM, Wife sent them to me in Iraq> posted em here.

Well when I got home mounted up a scope and had some Federal Gold medal match ammo waiting for it. Cleaning it up I found Kimpro in the muzzle end of the bore. I scrubbed and scrubbed and finally got that out. so along with my FGM I picked up some Remy off the shlef hunting ammo to start the break in. did 10 single shots clean then a 3 shot clean 4 shot clean then with the last few and some FGM a 5 shot clean. This whole time I am taking a pounding from 180 Remington ammo. did a couple more 5 shot groups/clean, they werent nothing to write home about, tried a 10 shot group and it was really out there, took a while to get her cleaned after that also. and called it a day.

a couple days ago I was out shooting again and finished off the FGM and tried a couple handloads with 180 and 190 gr match bullets. still nothing good. and still taking a pounding. cleaning after 10 shots is still a chore, using Barnes CR-10 which really pulls the copper out.

Forward to today, I had some 175 190 and 168 ammo loaded up 5 of each powder weight and 3 weights of powder. (15 of each bullet type) 5 shot groups on 190 bergers werent bad, but still about an inch, 175 SMK's were about the same, but had some nosler 168BT's I loaded for shits and giggles. first 5 on a clean bore were 7/8", up 1/2 a grain in powder brought it home a little better (about 5/8), another 1/2 a grain was about the same.

I have $2500 into this rifle plus a 15 month wait. When I pulled it out of the stock only the front is bedded and the back is rubbing in the stock bigger than shit. I have many other Kimber rifles and none shoot like this, really pisses me off a bit. I have a f-in FN PBR that was posted on the EE that I took with me today and first 3 shots with this little jewell were a 1/2" group with 168 Black hills match. It shoots phenominally well, Also have a Rem 700 XCR tactical Lr that is a hammer also, 175 SMK's in front of varget is a killer combo. Niether weapon I have as much into but a friend and I started shooting thumbtacks with them towards the end of our range session. They shoot VERY well so well the FN is no longer for sale and I will be ordering a McM stock for it. Tempted to sell the Kimber and get a lowly fuckin Remington!

Going to call kimber in the AM and see if they are willing to look at it and fix it before I at the least send it out for a break. BTW not an Isolated incident, My friend got his at the same time as me and it had Kimpro in the bore and chamber, halfass bedded, and his best group is 5/8" When I get back around the house tonight I will post pics of the bedding and the rub marks. Just in a spot to where I dont know if putting more money into it is a good idea, or if I should post it on GB and take a couple hundred loss, suck it up and get something that will shoot.

Just venting I guess.
    eek.gif

And I am sure someone will say "for a little more I can have a GAP"
    grin.gif

****************Took these with a 15 megapixel Camera, hopefully you can see the rubs (they are the black marks)**********

IMG_3813.JPG

IMG_3812.JPG

IMG_3809.JPG

BTW check out the number on the barrel

IMG_3820.JPG

IMG_3823.JPG

IMG_3824.JPG

Re: F**kin Kimber

I think lowly remingtons shoot just fine...i had my action trued and put a premium barrel on it. Shoots great.

I have heard the Kimbers aren't all that anyway.

Good luck to you, whatever you decide to do.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JCH</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think lowly remingtons shoot just fine...i had my action trued and put a premium barrel on it. Shoots great.

I have heard the Kimbers aren't all that anyway.

Good luck to you, whatever you decide to do. </div></div>

lol didnt say they wont shoot fine, I havent had one yet that wont hold an inch, most will do 1/2-3/4" with loadwork and a decent stock w/factory barrel.

Most of those high-end production jobs don't shoot better or as well as a Remington 5R or PSS.

Not trying to rag you out, but those better Remingtons do well.

Man,
    I hate to hear that. I have e very good friend that has been patiently waiting on one of these. He and I have been shooting together for a long while. I can guarantee that if he pays that kind of money and it wont shoot 1/2 to 3/8 MOA....hes gonna be pissed.

He has a couple of remmy's that we accurized, put in good stocks with good barrels and they shoot 1/4 moa with good handloads and he spent less money than he is spending on the Kimber.....he just wanted one.

I sincerely hope it works out for you but I would definitely let Kimber know what is going on and see what they will do about it. I have several of their 1911's and have been extremely pleased with their product...never had one of their rifles...

not sure, its a 4 groove barrel though, websites specs a 6, but there are only 4

Welcome to kimber, you either get a good one or you get junk, and if you had my previous experiences with kimbers service, you'd just send the gun to a real smith to work on, but don't be surprised if it takes more then a bedding job to get it to shoot. Frankly the only good thing about kimbers is they hold their value due to the hype, so I'd just sell it, take the small loss and call it a lesson learned.

P.S. Don't tell kimber you got it to shoot 5/8-7/8" 5 shot groups they will probably tell you that's well within their standard. I didn't see anything listed on the webpages for the tactical as far as a accuracy guarantee, but their normal rifle standard is 1.5" 3 shot at 100.

I know that my Kimber was not bedded very well either. It was touching from the recoil lug to only about 1/2 of the action back. I had it bedded and now it consistently shoots 1/4 moa. Still a bummer for spending that much $$ in the first place. I will say that I like the action set up better than my remmingtons (Trigger and bolt smoothness). The bolt and bolt face were also very true from the factory.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Poke</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It is a nice setup, wish it shot as well as it looks.

</div></div>

i am sure it will after bedding. always did like the way the kimber tactical's looked

Dont waste your time sending it to kimber, they will mount it in a lahti rifle evaluator (mechanical rest and release), shoot it at 50 yards (no Im not kidding) and declare that anything under 2moa is acceptable accuracy.

I have always felt that for what they charge the little details should be a little cleaner. I think the action and components are good quality but the assembly and fitting can suffer. Im sure Roscoe will have it humming with some proper TLC.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Norcal Phoenix</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dont waste your time sending it to kimber, they will mount it in a lahti rifle evaluator (mechanical rest and release), shoot it at 50 yards (no Im not kidding) and declare that anything under 2moa is acceptable accuracy.

I have always felt that for what they charge the little details should be a little cleaner. I think the action and components are good quality but the assembly and fitting can suffer. Im sure Roscoe will have it humming with some proper TLC. </div></div>

figured it was as such, but the number on the barrel doesnt match the stock number or action number, I sppose it could have been a small mixup with the punch, my go guage works and no-go wont close so headspace seems gtg, but ya gotta wonder

567/587/597 has to just be some coincidence...theres no logical reason those #s are ordered like that, espically the last 3 of the serial.

is the bolt stamped 577 by any chance?

That stock needs to be pillar bedded, #1 problem I see. Until that happens, save your ammo and grief. I've never had good results with a rifle when the receiver wasn’t fully bedded with pillars. If you can see rub marks, it's moving under recoil.

300WM with FGMM should shoot at least .50moa at 100 yards.

you would think that a 2500 dollar rifle would have either been bedded completely with pillars or put in a stock with an aluminum bedding block such as the HS precision....just seems like the workmanship leaves something to be desired......especially in a heavy recoiling caliber.

I think the kimber guns are more for people hunting that want a slightly lighter rifle and nice wood. Most hunters out there would be happy with something that shoot sub moa, so most guys would probably be ok with that performance. I think your expectations are higher than what their average customers are. I think you should just save yourself the trouble and post it on GB, take the hit and the lesson and get something that is a little more what your after.

CJG

I have a few of their 1911's never had an issue with them. I got a chance to finger bang an 8400 advanced tactical precision enhanced weapons system-or what ever its designation is.

I liked the camo stock and the color of the finish but I think an FN SPR A3G is a much better buy for a kick ass mod 70 based bolt gun.

A guy could fix all those woes with 1 hour, a dremel, and a scoop of steelbed. It shoulda been done right from the get-go, but a re-bed on a McMillan is easy enough.

I'd be pretty livid myself, but I wouldn't send it back to the factory. If this was the best they could turn out I wouldn't give them another chance to "improve" on it.

Sorry to hear about this. I have a Kimber Eclipse 1911 and I love it. I don't know that much about their rifles. IMHO, for 2,500, I would have added acouple of hundred more and just got a SAKO TRG for the money and be done with it. I hope you get it taken care of. Good Speed and watch your 6 over in the sand box.

Mike

bedding, yeah prolly (I hope so or will be wasteing $250 bux) , but I wont stop cleaning, when it stops looking like a copper factory in the bore then I wont clean it as much, after 10 rounds CR10 wouldnt hardly get much of it out. My 308 on the other hand, I went about 100 rounds before cleaning this time, just dont feel right leaving em in the safe all dirty and such till my next R&R

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: triggerguard1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm guessing it would be a bughole shooter with a quick bedding job and retiring the cleaning rod for the life of the rifle............. </div></div>

Matt,
    First off thanks for speaking with me on the phone back in Dec/Nov about the Rem 700 LA floorplate. I just got home and am very pleased with it.

Now to the Kimber.

I had the rifle dropped off at Tripple G Gunsmithing while I was away and Garland put a VIAS and pillar bedded the rifle for me. I have been home from Iraq for about a week and been moping around the house since. Well I threw together some loads for this bad boy and headed down to Tac Pro. I needed to verify that it was still hitting the same place it was 4 months ago while I was home. Any of course it is with my hunting load.
    After that I switched over to a Berger 190 VLD hunting bullet load. first 5 rounds at 100 were about 3/4" so was the second 5 round group along with a 4 round group that I apparently was hitting my FIL's chrono screens with (plastic with a 3"x5" hole for bullet to pass through) Group was still under an inch even with the bullet passing through both pieces of plastic at 10'. I figured it was good enough to switch over to the 200 yard range. I had an odd number of 11 rounds left so I fired a 5 shot and 6 shot group.

And pics of how the rifle sits now.
    IMG_4435.JPG

Pillar Bedding that was done by Garland
    IMG_4436.JPG

5 shot group at 200 adjusted to get it closer to the dot
    kimber300WM200yd.jpg