• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Kimber Eclipse Target II

hntbambi

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 11, 2010
Las Cruces, NM
Well, a blind squirrel finally got a nut. On July 29th, 2006 I had packers from the moving company in my Virginia home packing up all my my stuff to move me to New Mexico. I have a decent amount of firearms and had to let the movers move them as I didn't have enough room in my truck to transport them personally due to ammo and reloading stuff. Anyhoo, the kid packing my stuff apparently liked my Kimber Eclipse Target II and my Browning Hi Power more than I did. When I got the box in New Mexico it was empty. I called the cops and started a police report. The meter maid that was handling the case didn't do squat and nothing was done.

Fast forward to March 2011. I get a call from the Virginia cops stating a hit came across the teletype matching my Kimber. It was found in Manhattan, NY. It took 2 months of calling NYPD and the Virginia cops but I now have it back in hand.

Overall the gun is in decent shape and the NYPD was gracious enough to engrave a number in the frame and magazine with an electric pencil. I was able to remove the engraving and sand out the corrosion. The gun is getting blasted and GunKoted shortly. Since the gun's been through ballistics and cataloged, it is getting a new barrel, firing pin, and extractor. The originals mysteriously got crushed in my vise while I was cleaning it.

This gun may end up being a 460 Rowland. I do like the 1911 and it will make a decent hunting gun. Now it I could get the Hi-Power back, it would make my day.

Re: Kimber Eclipse Target II

Yep, I need to add ejector to the list also. Thanks for the reminder.

Oops
kimberbarrel1.jpg

kimberbarrel2.jpg

ever think of just selling it to a shop and buying a new one? wonder what the cost difference would be.

Scott,
Thanks for the suggestion, but I can't see going that route. The finish was beat up enough to really detract from what I could get out of it. Add the cost a of a new gun and it's not cost effective.

This gun has features I want, and I can build a great gun from the slide and frame and some internal parts. I do the vast majority of my own 'smithing and building a 1911 is definitely on the list. I have built a few 1911 guns and it's not too difficult. I have the parts on order already so in a couple weeks, it should be back in action. The new parts are running me about $350 and it will be upgraded over factory.

350 ain't bad, thought it would be more, and that is a nice gun. I have one with fixed night sights. good luck on your project.

It is nice to see that you actually got your gun back. That beats having it get get cut up with a torch or some other such nonsense.