• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Gunsmithing Kimber loading problem?

joelsa58

Private
Minuteman
Dec 3, 2009
ft. bragg, nc
Got a Kimber Custome TLE II. I'm using Wilson 8 rd mags.
I'm having feeding problems. Somehow the mag release is slowing the mag feeding process. When I feed a mag, it feels fine, until the mag gets maybe an inch from seating, then its stuck! I can man handle it and keep shooting, but when I hit the mag release to drop the mag....thats pretty much the end of it. The magzine is stuck and can only be removed manually! WTF

What are my options?

Re: Kimber loading problem?

how new is it? When i had my Kimber Desert Warrior i experienced the same problem until i had worn the finish off that is inside the mag well. After that the mags would slide in and out with ease and would always drop free.

The pistol was bought new in 2004. 2005 I had some wilson work done. New barrel, new guide rod and spring. Since then I've had one wilson magezine ruined (bent out of operation). I tried adjusting the mag release with an allen wrench. NO BUENO!

Try this:

Remove the mag catch from the frame.

Remove the spring from the mag catch.

Grind the ends of the spring flat so the ends of the coil don't twist on the lock piece when you put it back in.

PM me if this doesn't make any sense.

I see this often in Kimber's. Check the trigger the side rails (bow) is protruding into the magazine well. the trigger needs to be straightened/refit into the frame recess. Also if the grips were recently changed the grip screw may also be protruding into the magazine well. Quite possible the magazine catch needs to be fitted. These are a few places to start. Hard to diagnose without seeing the gun in hand.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tactical Support</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I see this often in Kimber's. Check the trigger the side rails (bow) is protruding into the magazine well. the trigger needs to be straightened/refit into the frame recess. Also if the grips were recently changed the grip screw may also be protruding into the magazine well. Quite possible the magazine catch needs to be fitted.
</div></div>

If it was the trigger, he would not be able to keep shooting as he stated in his original post. The screws are a possibility.

Check the spring.

I've fixed this on several pistols both SA and Kimber. Usually, its the catch or the grip screws as previously suggested. You can verify that it's the mag catch by removing the catch completely. If it goes in smoothly, it's the catch. If it is the catch, Remove the slide and slowly insert the mags with the catch installed. On some mag catches, the sides of the catch will rub the body of the mag. With the slide off, you can see exactly where it rubs. I've had to take just a little off one or both edges of the U shaped area of the catch. Stay away from the lip that locks into the mag and stop before you get to the button itself. Should just be a few thousandths. 5 min fix if thats the issue.

Have you removed the slide and looked down through the frame as you insert a mag?

The problem should be fairly obvious.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RADcustom</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Have you removed the slide and looked down through the frame as you insert a mag?

The problem should be fairly obvious. </div></div>

Yeah, I've looked at it with the slide off! Its def the mag catch! What you said about removing part of the mag catch spring seems like the answer. I'm about to make an attempt.

A drop of oil in the hole during reassembly never hurts either.
wink.gif

Yep removed about 2 coils worth of that spring and the mag catch works just fine. Thanks all!