• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Kimber micro 9 problems

Maddybrook

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Apr 12, 2019
    Michigan
    I bought a kimber micro 9 a little over a year ago. When I first started using it I would get misfires or soft strikes and I asked the guys at the store I bought it from about it. I was told kimber wouldn't even look at it until I had 500 rnds through it. I currently have about a 1000 rounds through it and will still get soft strikes about every 7th or 8th shot. I'm hesitant to mail it off to kimber. Anybody else having this issue?

Anybody else having this issue?
    No, because I buy quality firearms.

Seriously, though, sounds more like your local dealer didn't want to deal with it so told you to hold off. I wouldn't have waited so long to complain to Kimber about the issue. Best to call them when they open tomorrow.

No, because I buy quality firearms.

Seriously, though, sounds more like your local dealer didn't want to deal with it so told you to hold off. I wouldn't have waited so long to complain to Kimber about the issue. Best to call them when they open tomorrow.
    It seems to me like your first comment might be spot on. It's just a turd!

Kimber fell off, batch after batch of guns with glitches. glock, smith and Wesson, colt, sig too over the market.

Kimber fell off, batch after batch of guns with glitches. glock, smith and Wesson, colt, sig too over the market.
    Yeah, it's a shame. It looks nice, certainly not worth 700 for a handgun that you can't count on.

Yeah, it's a shame. It looks nice, certainly not worth 700 for a handgun that you can't count on.
    I have some old Kimber guns, like the ProCDP II, mine was one of the early batches. Very nice. the older guns made arund 2000 -2002 are good stuffs but the recent model at nothing good to write about.

I have some old Kimber guns, like the ProCDP II, mine was one of the early batches. Very nice. the older guns made arund 2000 -2002 are good stuffs but the recent model at nothing good to write about.
    Yeah, I bought because of their reputation.

Yeah, I bought because of their reputation.
    And that is why we are part of a special community as the HIDE. I always also for reviews and pinions before I make a purchase. better luck next time buddie.

I'm not familiar with the micro 9 but let's see if we can figure out what the problem might be.

Does this design have a Firing Pin block built into the slide?

-- Todd

I'm not familiar with the micro 9 but let's see if we can figure out what the problem might be.

Does this design have a Firing Pin block built into the slide?

-- Todd

Attachments

• 15658814669755164299287485257034.jpg
      15658814669755164299287485257034.jpg
      564.1 KB · Views: 221
    Maddybrook -- in the picture -- where are the other parts? It looks like there might be a Firing Pin block near the slot for the Firing Pin Stop.

Also, it looks like the tip of the Firing Pin might be broken or buggered up. Could you take another picture of the Firing Pin?

Here's a link to someone who had a similar problem and got it fixed by Kimber.

Last edited:
    Maddybrook -- in the picture -- where are the other parts? It looks like there might be a Firing Pin block near the slot for the Firing Pin Stop.

Also, it looks like the tip of the Firing Pin might be broken or buggered up. Could you take another picture of the Firing Pin?
    I think that is grease? I don't see a plunger there for the firing pin block.

I think that is grease? I don't see a plunger there for the firing pin block.
    I think this might be a better Pic, I've polished the firing pin like you recommended, hopefully that solves the issue, I'd like to avoid sending it back

Attachments

• 15658949969372006379716186014963.jpg
      15658949969372006379716186014963.jpg
      702.1 KB · Views: 164

Here's a link to someone who had a similar problem and got it fixed by Kimber.
    I really appreciate all your help!

Attachments

• 1565895289498961993478556130348.jpg
      1565895289498961993478556130348.jpg
      679.4 KB · Views: 127
    • 1565895318310455010420511215574.jpg
      1565895318310455010420511215574.jpg
      359 KB · Views: 111
    Thanks for the excellent pics. The Firing Pin looks okay now. Did it have the rounded shape on the tip before you polished the Firing Pin?

I would take a close look at the Firing Pin Block mechanism. Maybe even consider removing the Block. My guess is this is where the problem is. In this design, what moves the Firing Pin Block?

Last edited:
    Thanks for the excellent pics. The Firing Pin looks okay now. Did it have the rounded shape on the tip before you polished the Firing Pin?

I would take a close look at the Firing Pin Block mechanism. Maybe even consider removing the Block. My guess is this is where the problem is. In this design, is it the grip safety that moves the Firing Pin Block?
    Yeah, it had that rounded tip. I have a tormek with a low speed leather wheel that I used to polish the firing pin.
    If I'm understanding you correctly this model does not have a grip safety, just a thumb safety.
    I think I'm going to take it to the range before I disassemble it any further because I believe I have to remove the rear sight to pull the firing pin block.
    Fingers crossed!
    Thank you so much for your help, you seem very knowledgeable and I appreciate your input.

Yeah, it had that rounded tip. I have a tormek with a low speed leather wheel that I used to polish the firing pin.
    Thank you so much for your help, you seem very knowledgeable and I appreciate your input.

LOL, I'm a recovering 1911 addict. I have a good idea of the operation of the 191q design.

I think your right about having to remove the rear sight to get to the Firing Pin Block.

Good luck!

-- Todd

My old IDPA Springfield 1911 9mm started doing the same thing abt 50k rounds. It was a nightmare to say the least and I honestly don’t know what part fixed it. I changed everything multiple times including heavier firing pins, different springs. It took a while to get sorted out and finally started working again. i retired it at 90k rounds mostly because the barrel was shot out. Lol...U may try a different firing pin spring as well, keep the firing pin channel clean and free of oil or grease. Good luck

My old IDPA Springfield 1911 9mm started doing the same thing abt 50k rounds. It was a nightmare to say the least and I honestly don’t know what part fixed it. I changed everything multiple times including heavier firing pins, different springs. It took a while to get sorted out and finally started working again. i retired it at 90k rounds mostly because the barrel was shot out. Lol...U may try a different firing pin spring as well, keep the firing pin channel clean and free of oil or grease. Good luck
    Wow, that's a lot of shooting! Thanks for the tips

Put the firing pin in a drill press and polish the tip.
    Hey man, I just got a chance today to shoot that micro 9 after taking your advice on polishing the tip of the firing pin. I shot 100 rounds and not even 1 soft strike. Great advice, you saved me from having to send it back to kimber! Thank you

LOL, I'm a recovering 1911 addict. I have a good idea of the operation of the 191q design.

I think your right about having to remove the rear sight to get to the Firing Pin Block.

Good luck!

-- Todd
    Hey man, I finally had a chance to take that micro 9 out to the range today and was able to put 100 rounds through it without any soft strikes. Seems like it may be good to go with the tip polishing! Thanks again for all your help a couple weeks ago

I'd have asked the dealer for a mirror so you could see the "asshole" tattooed across your forehead because it appears that's what he saw.

What manufacturer would claim you've gotta run 500 rounds through anything? If I bought a car that had intermittent starting failures you can bet I'd be back at the dealership before the tires cooled off.

Car won't start you go nowhere. Gun don't fire you go to the morgue.

I'd have asked the dealer for a mirror so you could see the "asshole" tattooed across your forehead because it appears that's what he saw.

What manufacturer would claim you've gotta run 500 rounds through anything?

I don't know if this is still true but Les Baer custom pistols were built so tight that if there was a problem they wouldn't talk to you until you've fired 500 rounds through the pistol.

Reactions: jetracer013
    I’ve heard the same about Baer pistols. If true, all it says to me is they are too lazy to properly fit the gun up like Brown, Wilson and Nighthawk do.

Reactions: Carlos Danger
    Hey man, I just got a chance today to shoot that micro 9 after taking your advice on polishing the tip of the firing pin. I shot 100 rounds and not even 1 soft strike. Great advice, you saved me from having to send it back to kimber! Thank you

Glad it worked out for you!

A lot of these little pistols patterned after the Colt Mustang .380 are plagued with weak recoil springs. Sometimes, the slide will not quite be back in battery after a shot, but the disconnector is satisfied enough to go ahead and let the fire control drop the hammer. The hammer hits the bottom corner of the firing pin stop instead of squarely on the firing pin resulting in a no fire condition. The impact of the hammer will knock the slide the rest of the way into battery, so as the shooter, everything with the pistol will look normal.

What manufacturer would claim you've gotta run 500 rounds through anything? If I bought a car that had intermittent starting failures you can bet I'd be back at the dealership before the tires cooled off.

Car won't start you go nowhere. Gun don't fire you go to the morgue.
    What a douche

• Haha
    Reactions: Maddybrook
    I bought a kimber micro 9 a little over a year ago. When I first started using it I would get misfires or soft strikes and I asked the guys at the store I bought it from about it. I was told kimber wouldn't even look at it until I had 500 rnds through it. I currently have about a 1000 rounds through it and will still get soft strikes about every 7th or 8th shot. I'm hesitant to mail it off to kimber. Anybody else having this issue?
    If I may, my two cents about Kimber. I own four Kimber handguns. Two upper end 1911s and two Micro9s, used to have three. Number 1 gripe is for what they cost and their supposed quality the warranty is only for a year. Now I know a lot of firearms are only warrantied for a year, but I am just talking Kimber right now. I field stripped my Micro for a range trip and lo and behold when I removed the slide I discovered my ejector had broken off. Upon further evaluation it appears to be a mim part. Great. So know Kimber has the gun and will probably charge me up the wazoo to fix it. They will not sell that part to me so that means I have to have them fix it. Nobody and I mean nobody has that ejector for sale. The gun is out of warranty of course so they have me over a barrel here. I could fix it myself and why should they care if I do, as it is out of warranty. I really think that sucks. I had an issue with their customer service in the past and it was a major nightmare. I will vouch the the Kimber as a firearm but the customer service and quality are now wearing me a bit thin. Thanks for letting me vent. This is gonna suck.

If I may, my two cents about Kimber. I own four Kimber handguns. Two upper end 1911s and two Micro9s, used to have three. Number 1 gripe is for what they cost and their supposed quality the warranty is only for a year. Now I know a lot of firearms are only warrantied for a year, but I am just talking Kimber right now. I field stripped my Micro for a range trip and lo and behold when I removed the slide I discovered my ejector had broken off. Upon further evaluation it appears to be a mim part. Great. So know Kimber has the gun and will probably charge me up the wazoo to fix it. They will not sell that part to me so that means I have to have them fix it. Nobody and I mean nobody has that ejector for sale. The gun is out of warranty of course so they have me over a barrel here. I could fix it myself and why should they care if I do, as it is out of warranty. I really think that sucks. I had an issue with their customer service in the past and it was a major nightmare. I will vouch the the Kimber as a firearm but the customer service and quality are now wearing me a bit thin. Thanks for letting me vent. This is gonna suck.
    Sorry to hear that man, fortunately with the advice of a couple helpful members here I was able to fix mine without dealing with their customer service. Seems like a nightmare ?

Thats bullshit. Highly doubt putting 500 rounds thru it was going to fix that.
    There just hoping you go away. I have a Sig 380 modeled after the Colt ,I bought one just shortly after they came out, there was a couple issues with it, called sig, they paid shipping both ways, had it back in a week and they gave me another magazine for the trouble.
    I could see 500 rounds if it was occasionally not feeding. You likely just got the stock answer.
    I was going to suggest cleaning out the firing pin hole with a brush.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Maddybrook
    The original 90's Kimber Classics were great running guns and well priced......Kimber fell on it's face not long after building a good reputation on the early guns.