• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Kimber Montana 300 PRC Build

WeatherbyFan

Private
Minuteman
Dec 28, 2018
I had a Kimber Montana 8400 300 wm collecting dust as well as a Hells Canyon CF barrel kicking around so my gunsmith says lets build a 300 PRC on the Kimber ........Can you extend the mag box ? yes no problem he says.......

So my Gunsmith Gary milled out the bottom of the action, extended the mag box to 3.7", Trued and squared the action, added a CF Bolt handle, 26" hells Canyon CF Barrel 1-9.5 Twist, added a high comb and palm swell to the Montana stock, one of his hand made brakes, Graphite Gunkote and green paint with multi coloured speckles, topped it off with Low Talleys and a Zeiss V4 4-16x44 scope.

All in all turned out pretty nice, I have both factory ammo offerings and I loaded up some Berger 210 VLDs and 230 ScenarL with R26
bad part is our Rifle Range is shut down for a week while they reroof the place.....so still waiting to shoot the rig !

Did he have to open up the barrel channel at all?

Did he have to open up the barrel channel at all?

yes sir he did and reinforced it with kevlar, also had to mill out the bottom of the action a touch to accept the extended mag box.

A Kimber Montana takes on a whole hew meaning looking at this rifle !

yes sir he did and reinforced it with kevlar, also had to mill out the bottom of the action a touch to accept the extended mag box.

A Kimber Montana takes on a whole hew meaning looking at this rifle !
I have one in 325WSM, when the barrel let’s go might have to do what you did.

Have you had a chance to shoot it yet? Haven't heard of that barrel manufacturer, how does it shoot? Have you had/shot a proof? How would you compare?

Have you had a chance to shoot it yet? Haven't heard of that barrel manufacturer, how does it shoot? Have you had/shot a proof? How would you compare?

Yes I got a quick trip to the range the other day, the Hornady factory 225gr ELDM's were right at 2800fps and 3/4" group at 100 yards, the 212 ELDX were at 2840 and also about 3/4" group, with Lapua ScenarL 230gr-77grs of R26 @ 2900fps and 1/2" group, 77.5grs of R26 the group opened up to 1 1/4",
a strange one was the 210 Bergers with the same charge of R26 were 40fps slower than the 230gr ScenarLs ?

only put 18 rounds through it

Reactions: jda2631
How did the Bergers group?, and do you plan on trying the 215g Bergers?.
I'm shooting a 1n9 twist Broughton 5C @ 26"s H-1000 and 212 ELDX , 210 Bergers, found a good SD load and am working on seating depth for each , I may give the 215 Bergers a try and might give the 230g ScenarL a try!