• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Kimber Montana

Re: Kimber Montana

I just got one in 260 Rem. I made 3 different handloads using Barnes 120 TSX bullets. 3 shot groups with all loads averaged around 1". The first 2 shots in all groups were almost touch, and the 3rd shot opened groups up a bit. That is somewhat common though with pencil thin bbls. I don't plan on taking 3 shots at an animal anyhow. You basically get a custom rifle for a little over a Grand. You won't beat that...and in a 5lb pkg!

The Montana is a truly great hunting rifle. I only wish I had gotten 7mm WSM instead of .300 but other than it is pretty much perfect.

If you do the research on the internet you'll find either guys get a really good one (most of the time), or one that never shoots well.

I had a Montana in .308 Win and it was disappointing. I likened it to communism---great in concept, horrible in execution....

My Montana shot about 2.5-3" at 100 yards with a variety of match grade ammunition. It had numerous failures to fire (weak primer strikes) and would frequently not feed from the magazine.

I returned it to Kimber for service and they told me:

-3 shots in 1.5" was acceptable accuracy and that the rifle met that standard---however 5 shots always went 2.5-3"

-the failures to fire were because Hornady TAP was 7.62 NATO spec not .308 Winchester

-the feeding was tweaked

On the first return trip to the range, the rifle was just as bad as before. It's bad when your $500 Winchester 70 Classic in a $12 synthetic stock shoots 5 shots into 1" and your $1000 Kimber glass bedded into a high end stock shoots 3", doesn't fire, and doesn't feed.

A good friend of mine had a Kimber 82 .22RF and the bolt came off in his hand during his first range trip.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shawnmarshall</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i had one in 308, first two shots is right on top one another but the third is always about 1 inch off...</div></div>

Mine shoots like this as well.

I have one on the way...its used got a good deal. Will report later
smile.gif

My 338 Federal M84NRA is also picky on ammo. It will do 3" with Federal factory 210 Fusions.
As I shoot Barnes for hunting, I tried the 185 TSX and 160 TTSX. After quite a bit of fooling around, I have gotten the 185s to put 5 in an inch or less with 4198 and 335. The 160s will do 1.5" with the same powders. This 185 went through both shoulders of a mature cow Elk and after that a foot into the bank she was standing in front of.
Needless to say no tracking was required.
DSCN2015.jpg

love mine in 308. the thin bbl is a little tempermental vs a typical barrel. i went lead-free due to California law, so mostly using barnes projectiles, although the crappy factory Fusion ammo i used to break it in was about a MOA. Barnes MRX 168's are about .5 MOA and 150's about 1 MOA, with lapua brass, CCI #200's and a medium load of H4895 (which it loves, no over-pressure even on hot loads)

will be switching to Tipped-TSX's due to lower cost but expect similar results.

the gun is SOOOOO light it feels like a bb-gun. the comb is a bit higher than I like so you might think about medium rings. my only complaint is that the trigger gard has some surface rust on it even though its stainless from some 100% DEET bug repelent-weird.

The gun is bad ass in the weight/handling department but i had to help a buddy get a load for it to shoot under 1moa. Tricky but once you get a good one they are sweet.

I was able to get the 150 SST's to shot MOA and 168 TSX 2" or so...I'm going to rebed it after the season and see what that does for it.

Anthony
BTW, its so freaking lite! When carrying in case you cant even tell you have a gun in there. It would be a good way to sneak guns into the house
wink.gif

How does the Montana stack up against the competition, Rem Ti etc? I'm currently looking for a walkabout rifle, probably in 7mm WSM. A lot of anecdotal reviews are harsh on the kimbers, looking for info from current owners.

Thanks
Rath

I own 2 in .308 and have several friends that own them in .300WSM. While there have been a few problems with early production rifles, specifically feeding issues, these issues appear to have been resolved with recent production rifles. They are a well made and accurate rifle. The trigger, once adjusted(easy to do by oneself), is great and they handle like a dream. Kimber's customer service is also quite good. My two examples in .308 will print 1/2-3/4 MOA with high quality factory ammo, the .300WSMs tend to do in the 1-1.5 MOA range with good factory ammo. To me, this is plenty accurate for a ultralightweight hunting rig.

The Remington Ti ain't a bad choice either, probably a better choice if your planning on doing any custom work to it as there are more parts options available.

I have the 84M in 300 WM, Talley rings, Leupold 3.5x10x40 V111,used for $1500. It's everything I wanted.Match grade barrle,chamber & trigger. Lite wieght Kevlar graghite stock, stainless steel.Great recoil pad and accurate with Win soft pt 180gr.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: David Pennington</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had a Montana in .308 Win and it was disappointing. I likened it to communism---great in concept, horrible in execution.... </div></div>

Haha, that's the best description of a Montana I've heard yet!

They really have some great things going for them, but they totally screwed the pooch on the overall delivery. The bolt is a wonderful idea: making the bolt body one piece with the handle threaded into it is excellent. It's tough, reliable unlike a Remington handle, and it's not much harder to manufacture. Cam angles can remain really consistent with this design.

The bend on the trigger bow is weird and doesn't seem to fit anybody I know...I'm not sure what the "engineers" were thinking there. The stock is a thing of beauty--really light but rigid, great feel to it. We won't get into the story about how they ripped it off from the original designer, though.

Sticking to the Model 70 concepts like controlled-round feed was a sound idea; using no integral recoil lug was a shitty idea. The hokey shroud disguising the Remington sandwich-type lug is a joke. If you're gonna copy Winchester, do better than they did--don't cheap out.

The barrels I've seen them using are horrible. It looks like they used a dull beaver to gundrill and rifle. My personal Montana fouls terribly and is nothing to write home about in the accuracy department. I've finally found one handload that will consistently shoot 3/4" 3 shot groups. It's extremely fussy about ammo. When I bitched to Kimber, they told me 2" 3 shot groups were considered "acceptable" to them.

If they'd change a few simple things and start using a good cut barrel, then they'd really have something.

The Rem TI is every bit as good of a rifle, but why pay hundreds more. The Kimber action is narrower too and I think it is a sleeker rifle all in all. You can't go wrong with either tifle though.

Thanks for the info gents.

The above posts follow a similar pattern to other reviews/opinions on the kimber. It seems for every fan there is someone who got a dud. I guess for the sort of coin I would have to drop on a Kimber here in Australia a lotto ticket is not good enough. If kimber come out with an accuracy guarantee I would be far more comfortable purchasing one. It seems strange that supposedly lesser rifles are able to stand behind their product with a guarantee but Kimber cannot.

I really like the rifle but if it's not a shooter I'm not biting. A used one with accuracy info may be the ticket.

Rath

I've only gunned 10 or so Montana's,so certainly can't begin to speak for them all,other than the fact that I've tasted s/a .473",.532" and l/a .473" and have yet to be less than very fucking impressed.

In fairness,I savvy the art of the rifle,ammo,glass and moly...so couldn't comment in direct regard with any of those offerings,that were afflicted via concessions outside those known quantities.

Shot this Buck the other day,despite it being a rat,because there was a dissenter in tow(who also drives a Montana). He was feeding away at 500+ yards,halfway into heavy cover,had only a piece if his ass exposed to me,I was driving lowly fixed 6x glass and had a taped muzzle to "skew" CBS POI. It hasn't seen a patch in 1200rds+ and several guys gunned it to good affect to 900yds+.

LongDistanceAss.jpg

Shot the fucker on the move at another 10yds further,just to prove the fucking point and to reiterate the advantages of generous field of view,generous eye-relief and familiarity with a system...while gunning from a ruck.

"Flukes" like that are easily arranged as per whim.

Pard then pried the 5.5-22X Junkforce from his 325WSM Montana that he'd brought along and did a nice job of running me low on 7-08 fodder through my Titanium,as he dealt "fluke" after fucking "fluke" himself...and I'm no stranger to a Dillon 550B. I helped him wrap his barreled action up,to receive the like length/contour/twist PN replacement in 7WSM.

It is easier to show people shit,than it is to tell them and that of course is why so many leave here with impressive shopping binges,so as to correct the mainstream brainwashings they've long ago suffered.

Good shit sells itself and few things are finer than the 7WSM Montana. Guide buddy of mine in Montana,sold 5 7WSM Montana's,after putting on a display via a single highwind afternoon.

Would like to know how fucking many rifle purchases/builds I'm directly responsible for,as it's in the few fucking hundereds,as a minimum. Nice to lay a pile of various goods in a heap and let folks fingerfuck same,then gun distant steel to confirm those feel good findings.

Nothing sells like results. Gene will have a few new knife orders,Kimber will sell some more 7WSM Montucky's,McMillan will move some more A5's and Classic's,Barnes will need to move to larger facilities,Chris will be burning the midnight 3-grooved oil,Meindl will be busy,yada,yada...as per usual.

HH will be selling some ImperTech rainwear too.(grin)

LOL, Nobody you should charge commissions.

"I've only gunned 10 or so Montana's"

Well I'm talking to the right person which is more than half the battle won, particularly in internet based research.

Nobody, what if any customisation do you do to your Montana's?

Perhaps a bit off topic but could you explain the reason you run molly? Again it's a subject that seems to polarise people, a rational explanation from someone who has "hands on" experience would be appreciated.

Finally, to what degree would you say a taped muzzle impacts on CBS POI?

Thanks in advance.
Rath

10 isn't that many,when talking multiple hundered's of 700's in direct comparison,so it's only fair to quantify such findings.

I shoot moly for a simple reason,in that nothing is better. There has yet to be a single gent visit,that doesn't follow suit and I guess static CBS POI and high round count satisfactions are something best tasted in the flesh,rather than mused via text in the hypothetical. It helps to beat shit hard,purposely show it no favors and watch as folks dazzle themselves. Such things are well beyond "convincing".

My personal 7WSM Montana has but a dab of steelbed at the lug,nothing under the receiver ring nor tang. I tweaked the trigger to nearly 16oz,feed it ammo it loves(162A-Max kissing lands at 3200fps ala Re-22),hung LW's aboard it and have simply shot the fuck out of it. She'll routinely stay under 3" at the 700yd line,despite the hard miles.

WetChambersC.jpg

WetChambersB.jpg

WetChambersA.jpg

The only adverse "affect" taped muzzles have,is on fucking with naysayer's heads. Propellant gas dislodges the tape,long before the fucking bullet gets there and one can make sound arguement to keep everything but bullets out of the bore.

Red adds 50fps,green but 40.(grin)

I assume the red on the scope improves FOV!

You are making me a believer, email sent to dealer re quote on Kimber 8400 and M84.

That data card is a bitter pill to a .308 shooter like myself. I've just run the numbers (162A-Max @ 3200fps ) for my location on JBM....it does make me wonder if it gets much better/efficient than that.

What's the OAL for your load and which brass are you swinging.

Thanks
Rath

Nobody, any more pics of the Montana??

Appreciated.
Rath

I'm gunning W/W hulls in this 7WSM,just like both my others. The Montana's throating allows a nice 162 kiss,with some .030" of COAL magbox reserve. Much akin to my Coyote chambered same.

JBM do not lie and I'm gunning sealevel values,as a default.

These are pics,shot after my now famous Montana 7WSM Break-in video. The wind wanted to push the group to nearly 3.5",despite the haste(and my laughter).

BarrelBreakInB.jpg

BarrelBreakInA.jpg

Still cracks me the fuck up. LINK

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NOBODY</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...Meindl will be busy,yada,yada...as per usual.

HH will be selling some ImperTech rainwear too.(grin) </div></div>

I'm one who followed NOBODY's advice and got a pair of Meindl's when I stopped by a Cabela's. Best fucking shoes I've ever put on in my life. I've worn them hunting about half a dozen times now and the quality is beyond obvious. Only complain I have is that even after walking in them for miles to break them in and then hitting the field a number of times the fuckers are STILL stiff.

Nice pics and the vid speaks volumes for the durability of the system.
As an aside can you give me a good load for a 7mm-08 from a Rem M7?

Thanks
Rath

My S/S Seven 7-08 dotes upon Re-15 in R/P hulls and CCI200's,whether it's 100-162's in the pipe...which is in accordance to all my other 7-08's.

120V-Max/TSX,140XLC's and 162A-Max are it's standard fare,though it's 140 penchant is heralded. McMillan MR Desert Camo handle,Warne 2pc base with Burris Zee posiligns and a Leupie 6x42 in the saddle.

Kyle_Bear_low_res.jpg

Nobody,

Cheers for the info,

Hope your son has a handle on how fortunate he is! I grew up in South Africa surrounded by game, now in Australia which is an amazing country but it's been a good lesson in appreciation.

Ps: Your boy has huge feet...grin!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NOBODY</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've only gunned 10 or so Montana's,so certainly can't begin to speak for them all,other than the fact that I've tasted s/a .473",.532" and l/a .473" and have yet to be less than very fucking impressed.

In fairness,I savvy the art of the rifle,ammo,glass and moly...so couldn't comment in direct regard with any of those offerings,that were afflicted via concessions outside those known quantities.

Shot this Buck the other day,despite it being a rat,because there was a dissenter in tow(who also drives a Montana). He was feeding away at 500+ yards,halfway into heavy cover,had only a piece if his ass exposed to me,I was driving lowly fixed 6x glass and had a taped muzzle to "skew" CBS POI. It hasn't seen a patch in 1200rds+ and several guys gunned it to good affect to 900yds+.

LongDistanceAss.jpg

Shot the fucker on the move at another 10yds further,just to prove the fucking point and to reiterate the advantages of generous field of view,generous eye-relief and familiarity with a system...while gunning from a ruck.

"Flukes" like that are easily arranged as per whim.

Pard then pried the 5.5-22X Junkforce from his 325WSM Montana that he'd brought along and did a nice job of running me low on 7-08 fodder through my Titanium,as he dealt "fluke" after fucking "fluke" himself...and I'm no stranger to a Dillon 550B. I helped him wrap his barreled action up,to receive the like length/contour/twist PN replacement in 7WSM.

It is easier to show people shit,than it is to tell them and that of course is why so many leave here with impressive shopping binges,so as to correct the mainstream brainwashings they've long ago suffered.

Good shit sells itself and few things are finer than the 7WSM Montana. Guide buddy of mine in Montana,sold 5 7WSM Montana's,after putting on a display via a single highwind afternoon.

Would like to know how fucking many rifle purchases/builds I'm directly responsible for,as it's in the few fucking hundereds,as a minimum. Nice to lay a pile of various goods in a heap and let folks fingerfuck same,then gun distant steel to confirm those feel good findings.

Nothing sells like results. Gene will have a few new knife orders,Kimber will sell some more 7WSM Montucky's,McMillan will move some more A5's and Classic's,Barnes will need to move to larger facilities,Chris will be burning the midnight 3-grooved oil,Meindl will be busy,yada,yada...as per usual.

HH will be selling some ImperTech rainwear too.(grin) </div></div>
Thought you were a professional guide boy I would not be paying for that trophy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NOBODY</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My S/S Seven 7-08 dotes upon Re-15 in R/P hulls and CCI200's,whether it's 100-162's in the pipe...which is in accordance to all my other 7-08's.

120V-Max/TSX,140XLC's and 162A-Max are it's standard fare,though it's 140 penchant is heralded. McMillan MR Desert Camo handle,Warne 2pc base with Burris Zee posiligns and a Leupie 6x42 in the saddle.

Kyle_Bear_low_res.jpg

</div></div>
Did the kid guide you to the bear?

Why doesn't it have a traditional hinged floor plate? Do you just work the bolt to unload the magazine? It must have made the Kimber lawyers nervous.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: trg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why doesn't it have a traditional hinged floor plate? Do you just work the bolt to unload the magazine? It must have made the Kimber lawyers nervous. </div></div>

Correct it works just like a remington adl.I much prefer this set up as there is one less thing to worry about.

I drive a Leica 1200 LRF,as do most all my pards. Exceptions being some 10x BRF's and some 1200 CRF's.

I keep expecting my 1200 to puke,as it was procured early in production and has been beat to fuck since day one. Amazing machine.

I prefer blind magazines for utility,because they do not fail.

To empty the mag,simply snick a round out of the mag via bolt manipulation and roll the arm to starboard less bolt closure or locking of the lugs. Takes seconds.

Some folks hurt themselves with forks...but it'd be tough to pass that along as a design fault.

Salt/freshwater mix. He was feeding into the cover pictured,with only hips exposed at an oblique angle.

Fairly juicy presentation,given the conditions.

Nice area... good looking buck, nothing huge but id shoot him. I take it yer jacket is covering a man sized wound then!!!
Good job
Lefty