• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Kimber mountain rifles

Newtoit

Private
Minuteman
Jan 9, 2018
Anyone have experience with the Kimber mountain rifles? I am most interested in 308 and 300. Interested in accuracy, fit and finish, and overall experien

What is the purpose of this rifle? Hunting what? How many rounds fired per year etc etc. This will all help with what info you might receive.

I have been hunting with Kimber rifles for years. In my eyes they are one of the best hunting rifles out there. Very lite, fit and finish is excellent, and very accurate. Just remember, these are not target rifles. You get about 5 shots before you need to let it cool for 45 minutes.

Are you looking at the Montana or Mountain Ascent?

Either way, for their purpose they are excellent rifles. My Montana in 270 would put 3 shots in 3.5” at 500 yards but I didn’t shoot groups with it much as it’s a pencil thin barrel and as stated above, meant for accurate cold kill shots on animals.

Hunting rifle is the purpose it will get shot very little. I was curious to here first hand. These rifles are a new design/concept from Kimber and I don't want to be a guinea pig. I am not a fan of hunting with a break so I am thinking if I go with the .308 I will be better off, But the 300 is what I would prefer

You'd be far from a guinea pig, these things are tried and true as far as I'm concerned. Multiple hunting specific forums to back this up.

There was a few issues with them a few years ago, seriously stupid issues that could be easily remedied in about 15 minutes but Kimber has corrected those issues now and added a sub moa guarantee to ease everyones concerns.

I just put 15 rounds down my new Classic 280AI today. I put a 3" 300 yard 3 shot group down after 3 shots at 25 and 2 at 100 for sight in. I figure that isn't bad from a new rifle and scope. I need to lighten the trigger a little, but not too bad. I like the action a lot, but I really can tell it needs a little breaking in. It is my first Kimber, and I like it!

I have a kimber adirondack 308 and also had a Montana in 300 wsm both shoot great,my favourite hunting rifles with great triggers that adjust too.

I just put 15 rounds down my new Classic 280AI today. I put a 3" 300 yard 3 shot group down after 3 shots at 25 and 2 at 100 for sight in. I figure that isn't bad from a new rifle and scope. I need to lighten the trigger a little, but not too bad. I like the action a lot, but I really can tell it needs a little breaking in. It is my first Kimber, and I like it!
If your shooting it very little I would suggest want2rides caliber 280ai would be a good compromise of stopping power and recoil. But what do I know I hunt with a 6.5 Creedmoor. Lol

I’ve owned a lot of them. If they didn’t shoot a good 3 shot group out of the box, a little tweaking would resolve the issue. IMO the 280AI Montana 84L was very snappy in the recoil department, more than a Montana 8400 in 300WSM. The stock does a great job mitigating recoil though.

I have owned 4 Kimber Montanas (still own 3). IMO the magnums are nothing too special and lots of recoil. They feel "fat" compared to the 84L and 84M models.

They are accurate enough for me. Always sub 1.5 MOA and occasionally through a 3/4 MOA group, but thats plenty good for the distances I hunt game with them.

You can get them pretty darn light.

358 win (rebored my 308 out and cut it down among other things) is 4.4 pounds scoped.
338-06 (rebored a 270 win) is 6.75 pounds with a 3-9X42 SWFA on it. Which is just about the starting weight of a 300 WM Montana before optics and inside 400 yards isn't given up much to a 300 WM with the same 21" barrel.
308 is 5.5 scoped.

I also have a Barrett Fieldcraft and if a push feed doesn't bother you I feel its a better mousetrap IMO, always been more accurate than my Kimbers and have LONG mag box in the short action so you can reach the lands easily, not so in the Kimbers if that matters to ya. They are also only just over $1400 Whittakers. Of course the 308 Montana is right at $1K at Whittakers right now and both are free shipping. ;)

Great little rifles and have killed a pile of Alaskan critters of us. Certainly rifles that are carried much more than shot though.

I recently got my first, a Montana in 280AI. Really like it so far and looking forward to hunting elk with it. The recoil isn't as bad as I was expecting for such a light rifle. The stock is great and the trigger is fantastic on mine. Still breaking it in and have only shot some factory thru it so far. I like it enough that I hope to pick up another, debating 308 or 6.5CM. The 300WM they sell is heavier which should help some with it's recoil, I would never hunt with a brake so I would have to be able to handle it without one.