• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing KImber of America Swedish Mauser rebarrel?

eravelo

Private
Minuteman
Oct 1, 2009
Miami Lakes, FL
In the back of my safe sits an old Kimber of America Swedish M96 mauser conversion to .308
I picked up this rifle for a song 15 years ago, brand new, all matching except for the Shilen SS heavy barrel, and the cheesy synthetic Ram Line stock. I shot it less than 50 rounds, displaying sub MOA accuracy, then forgot about it.
Now I found it and would like to rebarrel it to something safer like 6.5x55mm, as some have issues with shooting 308 in an old m96 action.
Should I rebarrel this rifle?
Whom do you recommend for this service?

Thx

Jorge

Re: KImber of America Swedish Mauser rebarrel?

Shooting hundred year old Mauser actions in modern calibers should not be a problem. I have shot original Swedish Mauser actions, re barreled in 308, with no problem. Your action could not be more than 40 years old and ought to be fine.
That said, the Swede cartridge is phenomenally accurate. 6.5 is awesome. you may wish to consider saving that 308 barrel. It will be fine to spin on again in the future if you need the 30 cal.

Thanks for your reply.
The reason I haven't fired that rifle in so long is that my favorite bolt guns are all 6.5 swede caliber, an original m41b & a walnut-stocked m96.
I have a lot of 6.5x55 prickskytte at hand, and if I run out all I have to do is go to SAMCO Global 15min away and get another case wholesale!
I haven't checked the headspace for bolt lug setback yet, and the rifle is as brand new as it will ever be. 50% of Internet Experts say no go with 308, the other half sez go for it.

Thanks for your reply.
The reason I haven't fired that rifle in so long is that my favorite bolt guns are all 6.5 swede caliber, an original m41b & a walnut-stocked m96.
I have a lot of 6.5x55 prickskytte at hand, and if I run out all I have to do is go to SAMCO Global 15min away and get another case wholesale!
I haven't checked the headspace for bolt lug setback yet, and the rifle is as brand new as it will ever be. 50% of Internet Experts say no go with 308, the other half sez go for it.
That 50:50 split is pretty much across the board in my experience. Interesting to note however that Carl Gustaf made a 7.62x51 NATO chambered CG637 for the Singapore police and they had an 'English' model target CG63 rifle in 7.62x51 NATO as well with no modifications to the CG63 (M94) action so I'm going ahead with a Singapore police CG637 (the 7 is from 7.62) replica build because there are only 600 ever made. I will just shoot 7.62Nato spec reloads in it.