• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Kimber Solo

maxpower220

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 17, 2010
Pensacola, FL
Saw the new Kimber Solo at the local dealer today. He has one in stock that is sold, but there for people to view. I decided that I would place my name in the hat for the new ones when they come in (in a few weeks?).

Anyone heard anything about these from here. I will be selling my Walther PPK (current carry) to fund this. I am kind of leary about Kimber and a Striker fire gun, like a guiney pig.

Re: Kimber Solo

lets see here its made by MIMber, its got an external extractor, its got a pivoting trigger not a sliding trigger of a 1911. I would pass.

Never heard of it til now. It's a good looking little shooter, though. I can't wait to hear if they're worth a damn.

That is ashamed. I really like my PPK and I do trust it. It's a hard decision for me as I like the gun size and 9mm, but I don't like the first run of a non-1911 from Kimber.

I guess I got my answer. Seems like Kimber would try to refine the thing a little better before putting them out there to get crucified on the internet. But then again, ask your average man what the best "custom" 1911 is and he'll tell you Kimber. So they'll sell a billion of these Solo's probably.

Maxpower, Just my 2 cents worth brother, but I would standby for 6 months or so if you really want one. Like your local gun shop mine also has one on display and they let me handle it. My impression is, not for me. The pistol did fit well in my hand, but I was by far from impressed by the trigger pull and design of the weapon. If you are in urgent need of a sub compact 9mm I would explore other options, if not, give it some time and let Kimber fix any issues that may come from thier new design.

You want a metal stricker fired 9mm buy a Kahr , said this for years friends don't let freinds buy Kimbers .

Striker fire is not my biggest issue. I really like a safety on my CCW. That is one of the things I really like about the PPK. Finding a micro 9mm with a safety, sights that are usable at the range are my biggest wants. If not, I would have a Rohrbaugh 9 right now. I like the Kahr (PM9), but it is not the weapon for me at this moment.

I will probably NOT purchase the Solo for a while now that I have seen some actual reviews. I will keep my deposit there and wait for it to come it, just in case a few weeks makes a difference.

What I do know it that if the Solo functions well (one day), they will sell a ton of them. Size, weight, caliber, safety, and decent trigger (compared to Kel-tec, LCP, TCP, etc).

They'll probably be okay after the 500 round break-in.
whistle.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Outsy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">....its got an external extractor, its got a pivoting trigger not a sliding trigger of a 1911. I would pass. </div></div>

Sounds like Glock is screwed as far as market share, then. I didn't realize those features meant a crappy design.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: maxpower220</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I will probably NOT purchase the Solo for a while now that I have seen some actual reviews. I will keep my deposit there and wait for it to come it, just in case a few weeks makes a difference.

</div></div>

Have you seen any reviews, because I just read this thread and I didn't! That having been said, just as in new cars, it never hurts to let a new model go for awhile before buying it, just so they can work out the bugs. Still, it irritates me to see people hating on kimbers over some old perceived slight to God's original design. They make decent products, and the solo looks like a neat little design. It's pretty much impossible to get me off of Glocks, so I don't really have a dog in the fight. Just try to discern between mindless repetition of "something I read on the internet" and true reviews.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chainring</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Outsy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">....its got an external extractor, its got a pivoting trigger not a sliding trigger of a 1911. I would pass. </div></div>

Sounds like Glock is screwed as far as market share, then. I didn't realize those features meant a crappy design. </div></div>

Considering that Glock has had it figured out for the past 25 years I wouldnt say they have a problem. But when you try to build a 1911 style pistol with those qualities, its a failure.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chainring</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Outsy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">....its got an external extractor, its got a pivoting trigger not a sliding trigger of a 1911. I would pass. </div></div>

Sounds like Glock is screwed as far as market share, then. I didn't realize those features meant a crappy design. </div></div>

lol. i was thinking the same thing. i better sell my glocks and my HK's and keep the only gun that doesnt fit in that category, my KIMBER 1911.

i agree with what you said above. just givin you shit

josh

Am I the only one that thought of the Browning 1903 when they saw the pics of this thing? Interesting concept. If it works, great. If it doesn't, it'll be unfortunate.

What's with all the anti-Kimber sentiment on here?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chainring</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: maxpower220</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
</div></div>

Have you seen any reviews, because I just read this thread and I didn't! .</div></div>

On Sunday, I did a web search and came back with a few magazine reviews (the good) and one forum in which 2 persons have claimed that they purchased and shot. One person made claims, but has not shot the weapon. In a few weeks, I hope to have more actual shooter with reviews of their guns.

Well, I did not heed any advice and purchased a Solo. First, this is my first Kimber, so if you are a Kimber hater you may or may not like my review.
The gun is small and well built. It is smaller than my PPK and slightly lighter. I am one who likes a safety on my CCW, so it is a feature that I like. The ambi safety and mag release are OK,but do nothing for me.
Took it to the range today. Kimber recommends several different ammos, most are 124 grain or higher. I started with Winchester NATO 124gr. I had 2 failures to feed in the first 40 rounds (23 and 33). I had to do a slight re-rack and continued to fire. Next, I shot Winchester 147gr JHP with no issues. After I got through those 100 rounds, I figured I would try the Brazer 115gr that I had. No problems in the 40 rounds I shot through it
Mostly, I was shooting for break in. I found the best set of shots from the 115gr that I shot last. Mostly due to being more comfortable with the gun and taking a little more time.

Overall, I really liked the way it shot. It was slightly more pop than my .380 PPK. Mostly thanks to the weight of the gun. My only complaint to far it the trigger reset. You can't feel any reset and I had several times that I had not released the trigger enough to fire again. However, the trigger was extremely smooth with a fairly small overall trigger travel. It feels slightly lighter than my stock G19.
The sights are great. At the range they are very useful and I think in a bad situation, the front dot will be a blessing, especially when compared to most of the pocket guns on the market.

I saw one at the store, too. It's a really cool little gun. It's not going to replace my j-frame in my pocket, though.

Manpower, as you shoot the solo, conduct visual inspections on the innards....you will most likely find significant wear...and if you do, take care to consider the ramifications of the particular parts in question. Rumors are on the street that there are known problems with all previous test models within Kimber....after lots of handwork, jerri-rigged re-works, etc, problems still existed....and the decision was made to go to market anyway. How do I know this? Well, as usual with posts like this, "I know dis guy who knows dis guy"....forget how. Just please shoot, enjoy and inspect....and inspect again...and again.

That said, I hope you don't experience any of this and that you have a great little pistol. And please report back, especially if you do experience problems.

It's really a shame that Star went belly up years ago -- the 9mm Firestar was a peach: simple SAO, compact, reliable, accurate, robust. Admittedly, it was a chunk (I believe 32 oz. plus, all steel) but if you ran out of bullets you could beat the bad guy senseless with it. I would think you could fire +P+ rounds through it forever.

If they had produced one with a lighter alloy frame, it would have been a more comfortable little carry gun, but those things rocked as is. I think you can still get Trijicon night sights for them.

Sounds like Glock is screwed as far as market share, then. I didn't realize those features meant a crappy design.</div></div>

Yeah Starnge... my Glock works just fine... is a .45 the size of a 9mm never had a problem......very starnge

just bustin on ya wanted to get on the band wagon ....GLOCK!