• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Kimber was about to make me cry......then I found

Neil Allen

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 4, 2011
Gillette, Wyoming
Winchester Super X!!!

I got my Kimber 82 from the CMP about a month ago. Ordered a 25 MOA mount from DIP, Cabellas guide series POS scope, Millet rings.

Boy was I gettin disheartend by the groups and the amount, read different brands, of ammo I was going through tryin to find that magic bullet.

Well I did, finally!

Winchester Super X
50 yards, scope got fuzzy about 12X

Top left I dropped one out.

You would not believe the relief when it started shooting these groups!! Man, I thought it was gonna be relegated to an iron's only rifle.

1000590.jpg

I had ordered 3 pieces of AR500 in, well I'm not sure the organization designation, IDPA I think. Anyway, got two of them full size, 12x24, and one @ 33% which put it @ basically 4x8, body is 4x6.
The sun was still up so the range was still open when I finished shooting the groups. Sooooo, I figured I'd try and get on the steel before the sunset.
Moved all my crap, spotting scope, bags, gun, paper over to the 200 yard range.
Hung a long, 4'x36", piece of paper on the backer. Thinking it's gonna take a few shots to find it. As long as I was there I hung my minnie me target about a foot from the top.

Back to the bench, set the gun up, screwed 2 revolutions elevation in and took a shot.

Holy Crap it hit the paper! Still 20 inches low though.

Hummm, another 1/2 rev of elevation, another shot, still low, 8".

OK. Spun the knob 1/4 rev, another shot, Opps, to much, just over, took out 2 MOA.

Another shot, midline but just right by an MOA.

Make the correction, another shot, DAMN WIND, just left. OK, take a breath, wait for that breeze to quit.

Shot 6,bang............. "DING"!!!!!! Sounded like a jackpot on a slot machine to me!
The target fell over cause I didn't have it supported very good. Drove down, set it back up, changed the lashup, it'll stay this time.
4 more shots caught steel before the sun went behind the horizon.

I think I squealed like a little boy when I saw the target/group.

1000591u.jpg

Re: Kimber was about to make me cry......then I found

Agulia SE, which shoots like a laser in my Striker.
CCI mini Mag,shotgun pattern
Federal Golden Eagle
Remington Target
Winchester bulk pack, fliers always ruined a group.
Wolf MT, probably the next best offering
Federal GMM

Last night was the second time on the bench. Monday night I ran about 100 rounds thru it. Thats when the Super X showed promise. Cleaned it Monday, only shot the Super X last night and when it grouped the way it did, I couldn't be happier.

Not sure how much elevation I've got left in the scope. I got dark on me loading up and I was, as you can,imagine, a little stoked about the groups and the 200 yard shot's.
I'll post more as it reveals it's self.

Yeah, Suhweet! I saw that the other day!

Thats great! Don't forget that these are new, even though they come from cmp....A hundred rnds or so to break in as you found out. Best deal going for 400 or so $...Nice shooting!

That's some nice shooting Allen. You're going to find that the more you shoot the 82G the better it gets.

Did you do the complete tear down followed with the insane cleaning when it arrived? The 82G has some serious gunk built up in the bolt that needs to be cleaned out of there. If left in place, the gunk will continue to gum up the firing pin and cause inconsistant strikes.

Pic of your rifle?

I been thinking on getting one of these, but the rem 40x won out. Its a repeater correct?

Did you let the Wolf MT season ur barrel for about 25 shots before you shot for group? I found it really shines after the barrel gets seasoned a bit...Regardless, I also found Win Super X to be my favorite cheaper ammo, and is def minute of prarie dog...

Regards,
DT

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Situation Normal</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That's some nice shooting Allen. You're going to find that the more you shoot the 82G the better it gets.

Did you do the complete tear down followed with the insane cleaning when it arrived? The 82G has some serious gunk built up in the bolt that needs to be cleaned out of there. If left in place, the gunk will continue to gum up the firing pin and cause inconsistant strikes. </div></div>

Thanks for the kind words!

Yeah, cleaning! Holy Crap are they genorous with the cosmoline. I killed an ant pile while hosing out the bolt though! Fingers were raw from finding every sharp corner and edge on the action.

I did not disassemble the bolt, not sure on procedure.

Thickstrings

And thats part the most satisfying about this. Knowing that it'll shoot better and better with more rounds down range, looonnngg range!

D_TROS

I probably had 50 or so rounds down it befroe the Wolf. I'm thinking to give the Wolf and Agulia another try later.

No, it is a single shot. And I thought maybe that was part of my issue when shooting/testing ammo.
Having to rebulid postion everytime after reloading. But found that was not the case after welding my head to the stock and not seeing any difference in groupings.

Anybody know where to look for a bipod adaptor that'll work on the sling swivel channel?

I'd like to learn how to shoot it with a sling too though. Good practice for service rifle comps and the like.

Again, Thanks for the words!

Neil

WIN Super-X hollowpoints have been a go-to supersonic ammo for me for 25 years.

Not sure what magic is in them, but they most certainly have some.

Here's a Harris Adapter for the rail.

Don't rule out the CCI Standard Velocity ammo either. It's usually a pretty good SV ammo for the price.

Here's a link to a pretty detailed Kimber 82G bolt dis-assembly. Lots of good pics of the process too.

Just wait, it won't be too long now before you have this:

fk1.jpg

It's not mine (God I wish it was...), I found it on another forum (targettalk.com) but it is the factory stock. Looks pretty eh?
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Situation Normal</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here's a Harris Adapter for the rail.

Don't rule out the CCI Standard Velocity ammo either. It's usually a pretty good SV ammo for the price.

Here's a link to a pretty detailed Kimber 82G bolt dis-assembly. Lots of good pics of the process too.
</div></div>

Got it! There'll be a rail adapter and sling enroute this evening

Printed the assembly/disassembly instructions for a future deep cleaning. Think I'll feed it a few hundred, take the action out and do some trigger adjustments at that time also.

Thanks Situation Normal!

Neil

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Terror/TITS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just wait, it won't be too long now before you have this:

fk1.jpg

It's not mine (God I wish it was...), I found it on another forum (targettalk.com) but it is the factory stock. Looks pretty eh?
wink.gif

</div></div>

Terror

Oh My God!!!!
Some day man, some day!

That stock is the nicest I have seen. I just bought one of these rifles at camp perry and It is for sale on the campfire.com

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: _9H</div><div class="ubbcode-body">WIN Super-X hollowpoints have been a go-to supersonic ammo for me for 25 years.

Not sure what magic is in them, but they most certainly have some. </div></div>

Hey 9, speaking of the Win SuperX, is that "supersonic", or the HP Subsonics? I've been shooting the Win SuperX Subsonic Hollow Points recently. Great for practice ammo @ $30/brick. I've shot some ragged, one-hole, five shot groups @ 50yds with the SuperX Subsonics.

Heres what I have so far.
Ordered a bipod adapter tonite, Thanks Situation Normal for the info.
Someone asked how much more elevation I had left after doping for 2C. If I have my turns right I'm thinking another 35 MOA tops me out. Scope that I have on it is a Cabellas with elevation knobs calibrated for HP, 30-06, 270, and the like. So the graduations are kinda fubar. Something I'll have to sort out if I leave that scope on it.

Neil

1000597db.jpg

Neil, that's a sweet looking 82G!

Glad to help with the bipod mount... I ordered mine tonight too.

Several rifles I have had in the past liked the Win Super X. Another round that my rifles as well as a couple pistols like is the Winchester Power Points. They are supersonic but very consistant. Dang good tree rat ammo too.

nice looking rifle rig, Is that the tell tale CMP Scratch on the left side of your stock

For what it is worth I have had good luck with Winchester Dyna Point. It shoots almost as good as the Wolf Target, but I get an occasional flyer with the Winchester. I have had a problem getting the Dyna Point recently. Does anyone know if it is still available?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: killahog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">nice looking rifle rig, Is that the tell tale CMP Scratch on the left side of your stock </div></div>

Thanks Killahog!

It sure is. There is about a three inch scratch on the forend also.
Friend of mine just got 2 of them today from the CMP, both have "The Mark".
I'm thinking a bit of tung oil should make it pretty much disappear though.