• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Kind of new guy from Florida

Wryfox

Private
Minuteman
Oct 14, 2002
Daytona Beach, FL
Hello all, I'm not actually new but I feel new to this board since its been so long. I've actually been registered since October 2002. Ah the good old days..when my eyes were sharp and my aim was true. I posted a lot back then...and for several years, then work got busy and several moves later I was able to participate more and then work got busy again and health issues got in the way, a stroke among other things.

Fortunately, now mostly recovered and many pounds lighter, most everything back in check and healthier than I have been in a very long time. Now I'm at the downsizing age, and want to thin the gun collection. I realize now the modern age is upon me and selling guns isn't what it used to be. More regs and limitations in most respects I see.

I have great respect for Snipershide and the members here. I trust they are as honorable now as I remember from years ago. I would prefer to offer the items I have to sell on this board first but I would LOVE to hear some feedback on member's experiences with this and any tips and tricks you can offer. Much of what I have to offer is right up the alley for Snipershide...dozens of precision rifles gathered over the years, but some other items are somewhat pedestrian or just interesting one of a kind type stuff. I've also looked at Gunbroker and that seems to be the "go to" place for gun selling these days but would rather give someone here a little better deal here on this board than over there.

Please shoot over any advice you can offer. It will be much appreciated.

How is it going, I am sort of in the same boat with trying to thin out my collection so I can buy a new match gun. I am right down the road from you just north of Titusville, hope you have good luck with your sales :)

Wryfox, welcome back. Selling on here is usually a smooth process as long as you take care to ensure you have buyer's information and payment. I've both bought and sold items, including firearms here with no issues so far. Just use common sense and technology to make sure you protect yourself. Keep your conversations in PMs, emails, or texts that you can reference if something starts to feel wrong. Don't go for anything that seems or feels wrong as it is likely to be so, just like when selling anywhere else. Make sure that you are shipping to an FFL and that you have payment in hand before shipping anything. Take pictures of shipping and insurance info for records in case anything goes wrong in shipping and provide tracking number to buyer.

Also, once sale is made, take extra care when shipping firearms. Personally, I'd insist on shipping in a cheap hard case, then box it, at minimum. You can get Plano cases for around $30, which is cheap insurance in my opinion. By the way, this applies equally, if not more so, to selling on Gunbroker. Due to the higher volume that GB does and the unknown quality of buyers, make sure that you are extra careful to follow rules and vet potential buyers before sending away your expensive firearms.

Oh, and also, are you still shooting? Check out VCGHC on 44. It's a great gun club to shoot at and near Daytona Beach too.

Reactions: Wryfox
Thanks guys. I appreciate the support, and good advice from lash...good stuff. I've bought a number of items off the internet and all have gone smooth over the years..everything as expected...condition, description, etc. I've generally seen over packing as the norm, though some not so much and I've learned from that too. Barrels/actions and cardboard don't mix for example..something always ends up sticking through.

I was a member of VCGHC for a couple years but it is so expensive and I only attend the long range events so I just pay the nonmember fee now and is much more affordable that way. I'm a member at CCHC in Edgewater. Way cheaper to be a member and its run on an honor system. Very peaceful there most days.

Have I met you at one of the long range events this year? I've attended as many as I could this year with intent to do so again this year. If not, then maybe one day.

And you are right that if you don't use the regular pistol and rifle range at VCGHC, then it doesn't pay to be a member. I am there at the rifle range most Saturday mornings, plus the matches and some IDPA and steel matches, so it pays off for me.

I do miss the beach in Pensacola...anyway. Welcome aboard! This place is pretty good. Lots of good info here but always ask where the people got the references from. I only say that because there are tons of legit people here...and some that don't really know. Anyway, welcome.