• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Kinetic Research Group SOTIC?

kRcu

Minuteman
Jun 5, 2013
Denver, CO
Tried searching and found nothing. Anyone else on the pre-order list? Stoked we are getting close to the launch.

I’ve looked around and didn’t find much info other than a video from last year’s SHOT show.

So much love in this thread!!!!!

I'll have to revisit the video again. What's the intrigue with their action over say a defiance with a custom barrel, in one of KRG's stocks?

I'll have to revisit the video again. What's the intrigue with their action over say a defiance with a custom barrel, in one of KRG's stocks?

It’s something you won’t see on the line around you. I like stuff that’s a little different.

It’s inspired by the Sako TRG, but with improvements. I’m curious how it turns out.

It'd be rad if they did a magnum cartridge. That alone would set them apart from the rest of the industry.

They’ll be available to buy in the next month or so. The pre-order into price was until 12/25 ( $2995)

Not a bad price!

Guess I'm late to the party... I assume the SOTIC will use the aftermarket TRG trigger they have been working on?

Not a bad price!

Guess I'm late to the party... I assume the SOTIC will use the aftermarket TRG trigger they have been working on?

Yes. The TRG and tikka will be able to use the Sotic trigger I believe.

Nice, can't wait to start seeing reviews from early adopters.

most of the info I have seen has come through the KRG Facebook page. SOTIC and FOX42. missed out on SOTIC group buy thinking it went longer, but got in on FOX42 "beta"..

I saw somewhere retail was something like $4300 -4500. Pretty pricey for a production rifle with a savage barrel. Its hard to spend that much building a custom using premium components (within reason).

1250 - Bighorn TL-3
225 - Jewell
1000 - Manners T? or XLR chassis
320 - premium cut rifled barrel
475 - chambered, muzzle threaded

3270, $1K cheaper

Thank you for this amazing information. I can do it to...

Big Horn Origin $750
PVA pre-fit barrel $585
KRG Bravo $350
Timney 517 $190

$1875 , $1395 cheaper than your build. So by your logic, nobody should every buy anything more expensive than an arbitrary list of parts, compiled by someone who isn’t the end user. Good luck with your Jewell in the field.

The SOTIC uses savage threads, not an actual barrel from Savage. To my knowledge, so did my TL3 and most every other new action launched at SHOT. Pic of my old rifle for proof I’m not anti-TL3.

t46z6hY.jpg

Big Horn Origin $750
PVA pre-fit barrel $585
KRG Bravo $350
Timney 517 $190

$1875 , $1395 cheaper than your build. So by your logic, nobody should every buy anything more expensive than an arbitrary list of parts, compiled by someone who isn’t the end user. Good luck with your Jewell in the field.

The SOTIC uses savage threads, not an actual barrel from Savage. To my knowledge, so did my TL3 and most every other new action launched at SHOT. Pic of my old rifle for proof I’m not anti-TL3.

t46z6hY.jpg

I’d imagine that he’s just saying it’s hard to justify a rifle at that cost nowadays with all the options available. I certainly wish KRG the best of luck, and hope it has that wow factor that will attract people to spend that much.

Big Horn Origin $750
PVA pre-fit barrel $585
KRG Bravo $350
Timney 517 $190

t46z6hY.jpg

Barrel length on that rifle? I'm looking to do something similar.

I’d imagine that he’s just saying it’s hard to justify a rifle at that cost nowadays with all the options available. I certainly wish KRG the best of luck, and hope it has that wow factor that will attract people to spend that much.

I just love the attitude of, “because another option is cheaper, it’s better or equal.”

Reactions: GM795
I just love the attitude of, “because another option is cheaper, it’s better or equal.”

It could be, time will tell. Not many people have gotten these new budget actions in their hands. I’m hoping that the Nucleus with Barloc will be cheaper and better, because I have one on preorder ;)

It could be, time will tell. Not many people have gotten these new budget actions in their hands. I’m hoping that the Nucleus with Barloc will be cheaper and better, because I have one on preorder ;)

I hope you love it, but if you do, it’s hardly an argument for why an AI (switch barrel) rifle is now obsolete.

My reason for liking the Sotic has nothing to do with things I disliked about my TL3. I like the Sotic because it’s different. It’s by no means an answer to every question though.

I don't doubt that the rifle will be good. But it's supposed to be a direct competitor to the AI, Sako, and other Euro rifles that are dedicated sniping systems.

And in that regard I think the best case scenario is that they are just as good, but I don't see how it would be better.

It has a very nice form factor like the Sako, and a better safety, and a good chassis. Unfortunately I don't see that much benefit to the end user.

It's not lightweight. It doesn't change calibers easily. The stock folds to the wrong side. I think it takes regular AICS mags.

It's a new option but I don't think it's a persuasively different option.

Reactions: Qazwsx
Wow. Sorry dude. That really bothered you.

Just don't understand how some manufacturers and custom shop justify their prices. You can build a pretty nice custom these days for well under $4K. I'm only half paying attention to the rifle from having some history with it's pedigree. Just dissappointed to see it listing for more than a custom build.

Didn’t bother me, it’s just a weird way of thinking. Numerous GA Precision rifles still say Remington 700 on the receiver, but people don’t question while they are mostly north of $4k.

Different strokes.

I know. That's what gets me. Add up the components and work. No idea how they get to those numbers....

BTW, who do you think makes the barrels for the SOTIC?

They say they’ll be Brux, Benchmark, and Bartlein blanks depending on which chamber/profile. I don’t know if they are spun in-house though. They are working on making a slew of chambers and such that can be used on TRG’s as well.

I doubt it's going to be ready in the next few month, the latest I heard is available by end of this year/early next.

Their FB page has a few pictures, initially available with 308Win and 6.5CM. Barrel nut looks interesting, uses bicycle wheel-like quick release leveler instead of screws (like ARC) to allow toolless barrel change.

Suppose to come with the Tikka 2-stage trigger they are also working on.

$2999 pre-order price, no deposit required.

22046717_1658647190853798_45266075037063098_n.jpg

22141267_1662921947092989_4002472113190676339_n.jpg
22221668_1667597289958788_2589312669363195579_n.jpg
23517666_1705860436132473_4269865719968508551_n.jpg
26903943_1776819322369917_6808793734220598632_n.jpg
27540314_1786742848044231_7501565871527477347_n.jpg

I doubt it's going to be ready in the next few month, the latest I heard is available by end of this year/early next.

Their FB page has a few pictures, initially available with 308Win and 6.5CM. Barrel nut looks interesting, uses bicycle wheel-like quick release leveler instead of screws (like ARC) to allow toolless barrel change.

Any more info on the toolless barrel change?

This gun is quite interesting. No info on KRG's website about it, not currently anyways.

Edit: Looks like the pre-order is closed. It's a shame I didn't find this rifle before the pre-order closed.

KRG SOTIC PRE-ORDER

Last edited:

Source for this info? I got emailed last week and they said the first orders are shipping this month.

Reactions: spife7980
Hey guys, hopefully I can shed some more light on the SOTIC.

-It's our own action, which is a take on a TRG but with some twists, and still retains some parts compatibility so we can help service TRG owners. It's a 3 lug stainless action that is DLC coated and lightened over the TRG.
-It uses a Savage styel barrel nut but the shank threads are TRG and the barrels will be available for TRG owners soon. We have .308 regular and subsonic (8 twist 16.5"), 6.5 Creed, 6mm Creed, .260 Rem, .300WM (SOTIC is only short action at this time), with .243 coming and hopefully .300BLK
-You can use a Savage barrel nut wrench or our wrench, ours allows barrel removal without removing action from chassis
-Barrels are Brux, Krieger, Benchmark and Broughton, with Chanlynn available as a special upgrade
-The bolt is PVD coated, compatible with a TRG and we are working on a .223 bolt face, also it has spacer adjust firing pin spring tension.
-It's in a generation 6 Whiskey-3 as you see in the pics so tool-less adjustments and light in weight.
-It has our 2 stage trigger, multi adjustable and guys seem to love it so far, the trigger also fits TRG and Tikka and really most the Sako rifles as they mostly use the same trigger
-It's pretty light, about 9.5lbs for the fixed version depending on barrel

It's meant to exceed an AX in just about every regard, it's lighter, cheaper, has top tier materials and finishes, more adjustability (although the post '14 style AX is pretty good), better accessory support, and we even have the tube style forend option if that's a must have. Also the tool-less barrel mechanism we have coming will fit but that will be an upgrade.

Whether the advantage is enough for you to buy the SOTIC over something else is an individual choice. We aren't trying to mass produce/sell these rifles, the goal was to make a US made high end long range rifle akin to the AI and Sako.

The first ones have shipped but they'll start going out in earnest this month barring anything crazy.

Thank you!
Justin

Any ETA on delivery (for pre-order ones)?

I can’t seem to find any info on your site about this rifle. Is there anywhere I can get more info on it?

Just read the thread, most of the information (if not all) is here, KRG does not have anything on their website other than the SHOT 2018 brochure.

I jumped on the pre-order list the very last day (25 December). So I'm confident I'll be the last to get the SOTIC. If anyone here does receive their rifle, post here and let us know. Just to rub it in, a picture would do...

Wow. Sorry dude. That really bothered you.

Just don't understand how some manufacturers and custom shop justify their prices. You can build a pretty nice custom these days for well under $4K. I'm only half paying attention to the rifle from having some history with it's pedigree. Just dissappointed to see it listing for more than a custom build.

By all means, open up a shop, pay for your equipment, and pay your employees well whilst undercutting the greedy competition, show us how it’s done. Welcome to the free market.

IMHO it's kind of stupid to argue about it.
My Browning Citori shoots great, has kilt a million birds, and breaks clays at will for $2.5K. Does a $15K K80 do it better? Why yes, it does in fact, and when you snap some caps with one you'll see why. It's just lighter and smoother, and at the same time swings better (which doesn't make any sense to me, but it's true). Is that worth six times more than my Browning? Certainly the quality, history, and reputation of Kreighoff has something to do with that big price tag, but if the gun didn't do it they wouldn't sell them.

It's no different with AI. Is it diminishing returns for your $$$? Yes. Capitalism is a fair but heartless master. Don't hurt yourself and your family to stretch for one, but if it doesn't hurt and you're a shooter then spring, because while money won't make you happy, a rifle that makes many holes close together a long way away and does it consistently over all conditions may just be the very definition of happiness!

It’s great that there are so many great options now. However I still believe these a great value in an off the shelf rifle that gets pretty darn close to full custom build quality. When it’s time to re-barrel I’ll be adding the KRG nut setup for sure!

The SOTIC rifle is what Sako/Berretta should have done to keep pace with AI. I’m a huge TRG fan. I invested in the TRG platform when the main differences between the TRG and AI was weight and cost. My choices were TRG, AE/AW, or full custom. Back then I think Badger was the only 3 lug 60deg throw custom action too.

I chose TRG due to lead time and value (it was Euro optics first run of 260 TRGs)

Reactions: JeffLebowski
Nah, totally serious. There are plenty of shops where you can get a custom rifle built with top shelf components for less than $4K. The irony of @LRI 's emotional sarcastic blast is that LRI is one of those shops that has a rep for building good guns, quickly, and definitely for a lot less than some of those shops that build pre-configured full customs based on a R700 action for $4500 with some badass name like "Molon Labe" or "Scrimitar". Especially considering their barreled action group buy. They really kill the competition with that one.

Besides, how does one really respond to his or her comment?

We should tell all of the custom shops to go ahead and close up shop.