• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes kitting out a new Savage PC in 308

TXTransplant

Private
Minuteman
Jul 24, 2009
Austin, TX
Alright so I finally pulled the trigger on a new rifle, ended up being a Savage PC 308.

I already have a brand new Sightron SIII 10x42 that Sightron gave me in exchange for an old scope of theirs that I wasn't happy with. They have great customer service, BTW, I sent them an S2 that I thought the glass wasn't very clear on (even though I'd owned it two years) and they offered to exchange it for an S3 tactical for $150. So I did that and anyway this SIII seems great, the turrets have loud, positive clicks, glass is retardedly clear for a $550 scope, different planet entirely from the two Leupy VX-3s I have (which are the nicest scopes I owned before this).

Anyway, was thinking of getting an EGW 20 MOA base and Burris XTR rings (low?). (Have a 1,000 yard range to shoot at). Should I be plunking down the cash for Badger rings? This is my first precision rifle.

What else do I need? I have a Harris bipod already. What about a good rear bag? Recomendations?

Also, do I start with an Eagle stock pack type thing, or should I order up one of those Kydex cheek peices? I guess it's a little retarded to be modding the stock right away, but people on here seem to say those stocks are too low. I was thinking on getting a Savage 10FP with the HS stock but the grip on the HS felt big, not that comfortable, and I couldn't justify dropping $400 bucks more (than the 10PC) for the Savage with the McMillan stock. Need to make sure this is more than just a sweet LR hunting rig before I drop McMillan or Manners cash on it.

Also will be getting some of that FGMM from Palmetto while it's still cheap.

Anything else? Will give pics and full report once I actually get it together and shoot it.

Re: kitting out a new Savage PC in 308

Your setup sounds pretty good so far for learning on.As far as stock pack or cheek piece i have owned both.fwiw personally i would go with a stock pack.It sounds like you will be running low rings with a 42mm objective.(if not you should be)If you plan on running a large objective scope then go with a karsten cheek piece.
As far as rear bags go i have a triad lil wedgie and couldnt be happier.
Check out steves (triad tactical)line up,i am sure you can find something in his rear bag lineup that will appeal to you......