• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

KMW Cheek Mod Thumb Wheel or Wing Nut??

patches

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 13, 2009
Wichita KS
www.smtco.biz
Hey guys-
Is anybody making a thumb wheel or wing nut like adjustment for a KMW cheek mod stock. I have a McMillan A5 with the KMW and I have to use an allen wrench to adjust the stock up and down. The problem is when I want to pull my bolt out of the rifle at the end of the day I have to put the cheek all the way down to remove it. It's always a little bit of a pain to to bust out the allen wrench whenever I want to do this, or when somebody else is using the rifle and they want it in a different position. Any thoughts?
Thanks
Ryan

Re: KMW Cheek Mod Thumb Wheel or Wing Nut??

Give Manners Stocks a call. They should have them.

Well, I'm glad that I'm not the only one with this problem. I felt a little strange asking this question, but I figured that if it bothered me that others had to run into the same problem. I'll give manners a shout and see what they have to say.
Thanks Canavar
Ryan

So, I'm curious. I have two KMW rifles with the allen wrench setup (which I really like, they are rock solid).

What does this Manners knob do and what does it look like? Is it a replacement for the allen screw that allows you to manually loosen the screw?

I called manners and they basically told me that Terry Cross has a product that replaces the allen wrench bolt for a thumb wheel like bolt that allows the shooter to loosen the cheek bad by hand and adjust it. Seems like a cool little upgrade. They should have some in stock soon. From what it sounded like it is a 1" or slightly larger wheel because they require a good amount of torque. I'm gonna pick one up for sure. Hope that answers your questions Hazard.
Ryan

Yeah, it does. Would love to see one!

I happen to stash an allen wrench in my bag for this very reason but it would be nice to be able to quickly remove the adjustable mod for quick bolt removal for either competition or travel.

Perhaps Terry can chime in here on where we might find these for sale?

I'd also be interested in seeing pictures of this. Mainly out curiousity in how it is different than the logger head I have now. I just finished milling out my stock for it. I usually carry a set of allen wrenches when I go shooting anyways.

Ryan,

I have run a batch of knurled knobs that can be used on your hardware. They are ugly as shit and are pretty large.

The hardware in your stock was designed from the ground up to go into working type rifles. Goal was to #1: Not shoot or vibrate loose. #2: Retain shooter settings when removed and replaced. #3: Have a minimal amount of cuts and holes in the stock with zero snag points or knobs that would catch on everything.

I figured most working rifles aren't changing the height setting or lateral offset every 5 minutes and they would usually just need to remove it to clean the bore, having to get their hex wrench to remove it was a good trade off for the non-obtrusive installation. That has proven the case with almost all feedback from those typical users.

I am now very fortunate to have this hardware be accepted by many other shooters such as yourself that have slightly different needs and preferences versus what the design and installation originally targeted.

The clamp assembly is fairly substantial and a small knob or wingnut will simply be too difficult for most hands to positively hold the upper assembly in place. Current hardware will take a larger knob and I ran some test samples. They work great but I think can be down sized slightly. I am working on a new stock project that will have a down sized knob with blended edges to help with snag resistance while allowing a tool free removal of the cheekpiece.

Current trial knobs as well as the newer batch will swap directly into your current installs (McMillan and Manners) without modification. Simply swap out the flush fit crossbolt for the knob. Hopefully this will allow those of you that want to trade the streamline install for a tool free removal an easy option. Once available, all new hardware and installs will ship with the extra knob for user preference. For those with current hardware that want the knob, I will have them at a very affordable price.

As soon as I can get things sorted out on this, I will post in one of these sections with a web link to photos and instructions on swaping out the crossbolt.

Thank you for using that hardware. I hope it lives up to what it was designed to handle.

Best regards,
Terry

Terry-
Thanks so much for the reply. I really appreciate it, and I'm sure everyone else feels the same way. I will keep a look out for the knobs.
Best Regards
Ryan

i like it being solid and never working loose.

maybe i should just get the dremel out and open up the front of the comb a little so the bolt can move far enough to the rear to come out.

i just want to be able to take my bolt out without using a wrench...it would be even better if i didnt move the comb at all