• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

KMW vs McMillan cheek piece?

Siso

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Oct 22, 2002
WI
I was wondering the weight difference between the KMW cheek piece and the two thumb screw McMillan (not the thumb wheel one)? I know the KMW is steal and the McMillan is aluminum, but wanted to know how much more the KMW weighed? (I would like to keep the rifle as light as possible.) Also if the KMW is used and a notch is put on the top can a short action bolt be removed from the action with out removing the cheek piece? The McMillan would be used with a bushing on one of the posts so it couldn't slip down. What are everyone's thoughts on these two cheek pieces?

Re: KMW vs McMillan cheek piece?

I don't know the weight differences. But the KMW is rock solid and does have a notch (Manners stock) and the bolt can be removed w/out moving the check piece. The bushing idea is ok as far as not letting it slip down, but the screws would loosen on repeated firings and I worried more about loosing the check piece than it moving down.

I don't have the McMillan, but I've seen a number of people post that they have owned both and preferred the KMW. It's not that heavy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sisu</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was wondering the weight difference between the KMW cheek piece and the two thumb screw McMillan (not the thumb wheel one)? I know the KMW is steal and the McMillan is aluminum, but wanted to know how much more the KMW weighed? (I would like to keep the rifle as light as possible.) Also if the KMW is used and a notch is put on the top can a short action bolt be removed from the action with out removing the cheek piece? The McMillan would be used with a bushing on one of the posts so it couldn't slip down. What are everyone's thoughts on these two cheek pieces?
</div></div>

Sisu,

I'm not sure where you heard that the KMW is steel, but I've heard otherwise. All of the major components are 7075-T6. The cross bolt setup and E-clip are steel but these parts are very small and no heavier than the two steel knurled knobs on the McM.

You can see some additional info at KMW LoggerHead ACP hardware

The hardware you use will not determine if the cheekpiece needs to be notched. That will be a product of what stock you choose and what action you place in it. Some require a notch and some don't, but the hardware has nothing to do with that aspect. The hardware simply controls the vertical and lateral movement of the seperate cheekpiece. None that I am aware of allow an X-axis adjustment.

If you are going after every ounce of weight savings, you might consider foregoing the adjustable cheek piece option all the way and order an Edge built McMillan.

Hope this helps.

Nice update on your website, Terry, it looks good.

Terry,

I'll take your word for it, if anyone knows what it is made out of it would be you! If the stock was a McM A5 with a Surgeon short action. Would the bolt be able to be removed with out removing the cheek piece? It sounds like you are saying that your loggerhead weighs pretty much the same as McMillan's then?

Who is your source?
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sisu</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Terry,

I'll take your word for it, if anyone knows what it is made out of it would be you! If the stock was a McM A5 with a Surgeon short action. Would the bolt be able to be removed with out removing the cheek piece? It sounds like you are saying that your loggerhead weighs pretty much the same as McMillan's then?

</div></div>

Sisu,
I am obviously not Mr. Cross. However, I have looked at this Loggerhead hardwear very hard. The design is such that the height you need for YOUR cheekweld is not lost when you take the Cheek piece off and then put it back on. This is facilitated via the E-clips on the post. You place the e-clip where the height is good for you and the guess work is done when you reinstall the cheek piece.

I shot next to a real good shooter in TX who had this set up and I got to go over it with a "fine tooth comb".

Also, the KMW hardware allows you to shoot both left and right sided, unobstructed of protrusions that will snag on things. A skill that can be helpful if you need it.

Terry Cross I respectfully responded to this, I hope I got it right.

Jack