• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Kneeling vs standing w/tripod

aslrookie

Private
Minuteman
Mar 19, 2017
Today I was shooting the 11.5" 5.56 SBR at 210 yards at a 3" circle plate with XM193 (55gr) ammo. I am still getting my feet wet when it comes to tripod shooting. What was interesting is my standing position was more stable than kneeling with the tripod. My tripod setup is a PIG 0311 with a pint sized game changer. I even put a small rear bag on my right leg above my knee and put my right tricep on the bag and still seemed like a good bit of wobble compared to standing.

I am a right handed shooter. My left knee was down, right knee up, support bag on right knee holding right elbow. The rear bag I was using (crosstac with light fill) seemed less stable than just resting my right tricep onto my right knee. I played around with putting my right elbow inside my right leg but that was also less stable. I just found it interesting that my standing was more stable than kneeling with the tripod. What says the hide?

Your experience doesn’t sound unusual to me. I think people have certain positions they are naturally comfortable in. My sitting cross legged tripod is almost identical to my prone without any real practice. I figure I am just good at sitting on my ass. :)

You need to work on your kneeling position if you think standing is more stable. Kneeling should have less wobble with a lower center of gravity, proper bone support, and a supported firing elbow.

Try getting square behind the rifle by putting both knees on the ground. Use your support hand up by the bag, I usually hold on to my anvil 30. Do the same standing or sitting. Get square, on both knees

I do not kneel when I shoot, but I do pray that I hit somewhere on the target paper.
and how much you don't see them kneeling in the Olympics ?

Hey Do Atheists Go to Hell 29092021060430.jpg

Generally if I have a lot of wobble in a position it's because I'm activating a muscle somewhere to the point that I'm shaking. Either way you are doing something unnatural with your body that it doesn't agree with. If you are shooting with one knee up try shooting with both knees on the ground. With one knee up you technically only have 3 points of contact with the ground rather than 4. Just some things I've noticed practicing positions on my tripod at home.

So I own Two Vets Tripods I made a video today on what I found what works best for me for shooting with a tripod I apply the same fundamentals sitting kneeling high kneeling and standing. ill post the video below. Full disclaimer this is what I have found what works best for me and always welcome people to try it see if it works for them most shooters found using this way to shoot has increased there accuracy when shooting from a tripod. Tripod shooting IMHO is one of the hardest positions to shoot from so finding something that truly works for you will be the most important

So I own Two Vets Tripods I made a video today on what I found what works best for me for shooting with a tripod I apply the same fundamentals sitting kneeling high kneeling and standing. ill post the video below. Full disclaimer this is what I have found what works best for me and always welcome people to try it see if it works for them most shooters found using this way to shoot has increased there accuracy when shooting from a tripod. Tripod shooting IMHO is one of the hardest positions to shoot from so finding something that truly works for you will be the most important

I like your tripod, very nice gear, 100 meters target 10x10 cm, CZ 457