• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fieldcraft Knife decision

Sixfivesavage

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 30, 2013
Maryland
I'm looking for a fixed knife that's on the smaller side to mainly be used to case skin coyotes and fox and still be useable for general tasks but not realy anything heavy like bushcraft or anything like that. I've been wanting to try out a bark river for a long time and have narrowed it down to two choices at this point. Kinda similar yet very different, both I think would work fine for what i intend to use them for unless I'm overlooking something. The two (actually three if you count the two versions of o e model) are the PSK/PSK EDC both of which are in elmax, or the Bravo micro in CPM-154. Obviously the steel is a difference...but how much? They are similar in size, though one is thicker stock than the other. The two PSK are similar, yet the one is a tad bigger. Any thoughts on these three? Any pictures of them together or separate? Anyone have or had both and have a preference?

Heat treat is EVERYTHING. CPM154 can do wild shit with a great heat treat, or it can do mediocre shit. Elmax, the same.

Assuming stellar heat treat for both steels, Elmax will hold an edge longer. Edge thickness is more important than spine thickness for anything but a big knife that needs weight behind it for cutting, think bowies, camp choppers, competition cutters, etc.

There are just too many variables to make a cut and dry “xxxxx steel is better” statement. Anyone that does is full of shit. It’s relative to the task, the grind, the heat treat, and other stuff.

Example.

A simple steel like 1084 with a perfect heat treat will make a super steel with a bad heat treat look like a bad joke. There’s no free lunch with knife steels, or knives in general.

The best option is to assume Bark River knows what they’re doing (which they do), and pick the blade pattern that looks most useful and pleasing to your eye. Knives are extremely subjective. I’ve sold knives for $2k+, and I’ve sold them for $175. The heat treat is the most important part, and I cannot overemphasize that enough.

CPM154 is an excellent steel, and it’s easy to sharpen. Elmax is an excellent steel, and it’s not so easy to sharpen. Your decision should hinge on your sharpening skills, and which design you like better. There are very few steels that are actually superior in a noticeable way in hard use, and none of them are stainless. They are also absurdly expensive just for the raw bar of steel in its annealed state.

Hope this didn’t muddy the waters too much, good luck with your choice.

A Rick Menefee 12 ga (vic parer dupe) in cpm 154, or a Dale Howe Huntsman in elmax both make for a hell of a fur knife.....
12 ga
IMG_3459_zps4f5568aa.jpg

IMG_0907_zps965fae41.jpg

IMG_0971_zps3e13acae.jpg

Howe Mtn huntsman

IMG_1920_zpsa56ada4b.jpg

IMG_3787_zps156e8e79.jpg

IMG_3935_zpsf99fe704.jpg

Reactions: bourbonbent
The LAST thing I want in a smallgame/bird/fur/fish knife is convex edge, blade thicker than 1/16th, or wider than 5/8ths and no sharp point.....

Reactions: bourbonbent
@huntsman22 Rick Menefee is one of the best out there in my opinion. He makes a great knife and does it at a pace I can’t even come close to. Beautiful knife.

I get that the heat treat is the important thing about steels. I am also looking at Doziers again now. In reality, I won't be maintaining a convex edge since I'm just using a stone or a work sharp steel. Any recommendations on any specific bark river or Dozier?

I'm looking for a fixed knife that's on the smaller side to mainly be used to case skin coyotes and fox and still be useable for general tasks but not realy anything heavy like bushcraft or anything like that. I've been wanting to try out a bark river for a long time and have narrowed it down to two choices at this point. Kinda similar yet very different, both I think would work fine for what i intend to use them for unless I'm overlooking something. The two (actually three if you count the two versions of o e model) are the PSK/PSK EDC both of which are in elmax, or the Bravo micro in CPM-154. Obviously the steel is a difference...but how much? They are similar in size, though one is thicker stock than the other. The two PSK are similar, yet the one is a tad bigger. Any thoughts on these three? Any pictures of them together or separate? Anyone have or had both and have a preference?
What tools do you have to sharpen with?

There are plenty of good and steels out there, the ones with the highest wear resistence will have a lot of carbides like vanadium and/or tungsten. If you don't have diamond plates or the hybrid diamond waterstones, you wont get the most out of your blades.

Last edited:
I get that the heat treat is the important thing about steels. I am also looking at Doziers again now. In reality, I won't be maintaining a convex edge since I'm just using a stone or a work sharp steel. Any recommendations on any specific bark river or Dozier?

It's actually pretty easy to maintain a convex edge on a flat stone. Just make a slight rocking motion with your hands. But if you don't want to go through that, then maybe look at a different knife company like you said. An LT Wright Patriot in 3V might be a good choice. I have one in D2. Only downside is that it was a bit thick behind the edge. I've have/ had bark rivers and some other semi custom blades, and it's something has always been off about them, mostly the grind. I could just be unlucky.

I would recommend you got to bushcraftusa and find a used custom knife. If you have the cash, you could get a new one made just how you want it.

Back when I did a lot of trapping and hunting coons for the hide I used the Case Muskrat with good success. Prefect for skinning out small critters. I even used it to field dress a moose (because some idiot left his heavy knife home.
case%20muskrat.jpg

If I want something heavier I like the Puma Prince Pocket Knife

Puma%20Prince.jpg

I'm a knife junkie, I have tons of them, carry a Case Stockman for every day, but when it comes to hunting I carry my prince.

More then once I've dressed out 4 antelope and two deer with out having to touch up the blade using the German made (not the Spanish).

I havent come close to that even with the interchangeable blade Havalons.