• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

JaysonF

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 6, 2012
Fernley, NV
Hey, I have a hissatsu fixed blade knife
Hissatsu | Fixed Blade Tactical Knives | CRKT
And I'm not too thrilled with the sheath. I have always been more partial to leather sheaths for my carry guns; however I also have kydex gear for my rig.
I know many of the advantages and disadvantages over why you would choose a kydex or leather holster.
Be that as it may, my questions are:
Do the same pros and cons transfer directly to knives as from guns?
Which will have better wear resistance to the sheath from the blade?
Which would hold up stronger to abuse?
Which sheath would have more effect on the edge and material of the blade?
Which sheath would have a higher likelyhood of environmental degradation or the elements impacting the function of the sheath?
Is there some other material which can be used that I'm not considering?
Finally, where do you mount/carry your knife? I'm interested in the guys who run fixed blade knives on plate carriers or rigs.

Cost for me to have either built would be just about even. There are more options readily available and patterned for kydex to mount to gear, but leather can be done (with slightly more frustration). In the past I have ran the hissatsu on my weak side of my plate carrier. image.jpgimage.jpg

Last edited:
Really depends on the intended use/mission of the knife. If being carried as part of swat or combat kit I'd wear the knife in the front of my plate carrier where it could be reached with either hand, some where around the center mark. Right now, make a light fist and lightly hit your self in the center of your chest with the palm side, both right and left hands. That's where the knife needs to be. If being carried by a weekend range warrior, anywhere carry with any sheath will suffice. IMO, as far as sheaths go and for hard usage, kydex all the way over leather. The issued kydex holster can be carried in concealment as well at almost any location but, tie it off so it doesn't come out with the knife on the draw stroke.

I carry the Hissatsu folder daily and really like it. The fixed version is just a little too big for me as a daily carry option.

No real secrets or techniques here. For starters, look up James Williams and watch a few of his training videos.

thank you for the input and I will be sure to check out james williams. I only run the hissatsu on my rig, but I carry a crkt m21-14 sfg as my daily carry. I am glad you pointed out some information regarding the kydex, and I will look into my local shop to make one.