• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Knife suggestions

anthony1

Private
Minuteman
Nov 27, 2010
ohio, sw
I run outside alot and am looking for a knife that can be carried while running. I plan on carrying it in my I pods armband. I dont really know anything about knives though. Mainly I want something that folds, is easily opened with one hand, is waterproof, and slim, the slimmer the better. The purpose for the knife is defense from a dog attack.

Re: Knife suggestions

If you're not going to carry a handgun, you're better off with pepper spray than a knife when taking on a dog.

Otherwise one of the assisted opening Benchmade or Kershaw models would be a good place to start.

Kershaw leek would be a good one. Small knife with just about a 3 inch blade that is spring assisted.

Theres just no way I can run with a gun without it definitely affecting my times and workout, pepperspray as well. My only option for carrying is something that can slip into my arm band, otherwise it affects my ability to effectively train. I wish I could run with a small pistol and still maintain my training goals, I've tried it didnt work. The problem I've found with the tiny peppersprays (one that would meet my criteria) is that when I tested them I noticed they dont spray very well like the huge cans, I honestly think if I were being attacked by a dog I would spray just as much of myself as the dog with one of those small container ones. I know its not ideal but a knife is all i can carry without disrupting my training too much. I'll look into those suggested.

Anyone got suggestions for where to buy online?

Check on ASP, Kimber, and Mace's websites.

If you are looking for an ASP make sure to check your local laws to see if your allowed to carry one. Here in the retarded state of California it is illegal for law abiding citizens to have an expanding baton. You might want to fill out your profile so people can be more helpful when you ask questions.

If you are looking for a nice small knife I second the Leek. The S30V G10 leek is a great knife with good blade material, easy one handed opening due to spring assist, and g10 scales. The scales really help a lot when your hands are wet or sweaty. Also it doesn't have any serrations so you don't have to worry about it getting stuck. A good price for one of these is about $65.

1660g10_large.png

http://www.kershawknives.com/productdetails.php?id=63&brand=kershaw

In addition to the knife - here's an idea . An old friend of mine used to work in Bogota . He would jog everyday , carrying two ASP batons (collapsed) . Everyone thought they were hand-weights ...

My current carry knife is a new (to me)Emerson CQB-7 with Wave and have to say its the best knife iver ever owned.

that said i also have a Kershaw "whirlwind" and its a great knife for the $50 range , i also have a SOG Aegis partly serated and for $50 it to is a great knife , i have used the shit out of both of these blades and abused the locks on them and neither failed. Both have plastic handels that feel somwhat cheap but have never had any issues.

I was also let borrow a Cold Steel Recon-1 tanto to test out and try to break before it was chosen to take into combat. For the price i realy like the knife , it is made from the same blade steel as the SOG (AUS8) but this knife seems to hold its edge longer when cutting card board.

Personaly if i were going to have to fight sombody or animal id rather have a longer ASP than a knife , thats if a pistol was not an option

I would carry a Spyderco Endura, I used to swim with one in the ocean all the time, just rinsed with freshwater and it was fine.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dragoon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">In addition to the knife - here's an idea . An old friend of mine used to work in Bogota . He would jog everyday , carrying two ASP batons (collapsed) . Everyone thought they were hand-weights ... </div></div>

Sneaky bugger. That's a pretty good idea.

OK, that helps with the suggestions, but I agree that knowing where you're at would help too. Some states, like mine (TN) for example, are more restrictive on knife carrying than they are on handgun carrying to include those with CHL. If legal in your state I would actually suggest an automatic knife.

Pretty much any folding knife you find will be fine for the sweat provided it's not D2 steel or similar. Give it a quick fresh water rinse when you get back, a shot of oil every month and I doubt you'll ever experience any corrosion problems. All the big knife manufacturers are using SS fasteners.

Emerson are excellent and I've carried one for years, but running the knife on the armband wouldn't use the knife to its full potential. That and they're not exactly light either. The Spyderco Endura line would be an excellent choice for non-assisted opening.

As for where to buy one, there was a recent thread on that subject found here:
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2737875#Post2737875

+1 on the SOG Flash II. This is my EDC knife, carried everyday, all weather, all seasons, whether I am at home or at work, or at the range. Has a nice low profile pocket clip that allows the knife to ride low and remain mostly out of sight. It's relatively light weight and is virtually impervious to weather or sweat...I've been carrying this for about 2 years now and absolutely love it!

Best of luck in your search! Let us know what you end up with.
cool.gif

Yeah thanks for all the suggestions I'm still looking into them. I didnt realize my profile wasnt filled out, I live in Ohio and you are correct I do need to look into knife laws as I do not know what they are.

check out Cold Steel san mai blades.

I have a couple and they are nearly indestructable.

I'm not trying to step on toes, but how can anyone rcomend anything cold steel? Have you seen the videos? The big fat guy who owns it is a joke. I would instantly discard anything that man makes, says, or does.
Any who, I'd recomend the crkt ken onion ripple. Same guy who made the leek, but in my opinion much faster. The ripple is not assisted but it uses a ball bearing system and is slicker than shit. Very similar in shape and size, too. Also its very easy to get scary sharp.

I would consider a fixed blade if possible. Folders can be a pain to open in a stressful situation. You might also check out survival sheaths chest holster, might allow you to carry a gun.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The big fat guy... </div></div>
Tactical protective padding.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dragoon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">In addition to the knife - here's an idea . An old friend of mine used to work in Bogota . He would jog everyday , carrying two ASP batons (collapsed) . Everyone thought they were hand-weights ... </div></div>

I used to carry one for same reason, concealed!

I train with Escrima sticks and am looking for another 26" asp -

Good idea for sure.

Kinfe+Dog+ two bloody messes. Do you wish to be one of them. The dog will not know it is dead for 10-15 min and only become engaged. I have seen it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rth1800</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Kinfe+Dog+ two bloody messes. Do you wish to be one of them. The dog will not know it is dead for 10-15 min and only become engaged. I have seen it.</div></div>

Agree completely

I would opt for a North American Arms 22mag over a knife if you are worried about dogs. Granted you have to be close to use it but would personally rather that be the case than being closer with a knife. And you can load it with rat shot as an option to hollow points, sure to dissuade it from any additional action. That or get a treadmill.

Ohio does not have a blade size restriction the last time I checked. CCWing a knife is only really enforced when they are racking and stacking charges on you. I.e. you are a bad guy.

But I will defer to those more knowledgeable on the subject should I have made a mistake.

Regards,
Greyson

No offense intended, but this idea of a small, slim, folding knife as a dog attack defense sounds like a terrible idea. I'd much rather carry a spray. Better yet, run where you have no worries of dogs chasing you down and attacking you. Runners often wear belts to hold water. Simply carry some spray instead.

Oh hell! I didn't know he was talking about using it against dogs! Talk about the long way around to the barn door!

Regards,
Greyson

Spyderco Pacific Salt with H1 steel.. highly rust resistant, no liners so super light, big blade, opens real easy. I love mine.
This is the yellow versions, but comes in black FRN with either plain or black blade too.

But for dog attacks.. I'd start with pepper spray.

DSCN0976.jpg

You better rethink that one....knife and dogs...bad.

Allot of people make that mistake. Bitches will cut your ass....

dogholdknife.jpg

tumblr_lgifj7Q8MU1qzq9m4o1_500.jpg

dog-with-knife.jpg

dog-knife-520x388.jpg

obx20.jpg

Tough....big time tough...."K9?", well the "K" is for knife! 9 of them...and still...frenzy!

arge.jpg

Carry a grudge...yep...how do you spell e-s-k-a-l-a-t-c-h-u-n (what? oh..)

dog_with_a_gun.jpg

ok, lets face it. The biggest factor in dictating what kind of knife your going to carry is probably cost, then thickness is a large concrn for you, followed by effectiveness.

ok, first, forgive my spelling, i know its not great. second, this is my first post here, so please go easy.

lets face it. The biggest factor in dictating what kind of knife your going to carry is probably cost, then thickness was stated as a large concrn for you, followed by effectiveness.

that being said, i dont think you would post this question about a specific situation (dog attack), nhor would you post it without cause. So in my humble opion, might i suggest the OUTSTANDING Benchmade Osborne 940

http://www.benchmade.com/products/940

Let me say first that this is NOT a cheep knife ($205), nor is it and auto, or a spring assist. but that may be useful in that it cooperates with most carry laws. It is how ever an extreamly fast knife to open, and close. its thin (.41") has a 4.4" blade (also cooperating with most carry laws), has a very secure and strong locking mechanism (AXIS), and an excellent sharp steel (154CM)

I have personally used and sharpened this knife before, altho i dont carry it now. I've opted for the Benchmade Griptillian series, altho its not the same knife (griptillian is a bit "fatter" at .63") they both use the same steel, and locking mechanism. I can say from extensive personal experience that they are RAZOR sharp, top of the line knives that can take quite a bit of abuse. I treat my blades like i do my weapons, well taken care of, but not at all babied. When i buy something i use it to its full potential.

I also belive in a certian philosophy when using a knife, if i were going to stab something (i.e. dog, or person) in a defensive situation, i could just use a chisle, a screwdriver, a pointy stick or anything else. So, if thats the plan and the mentality, why spend money on a knife? But keep in mind to, when one person stabs another person to death, they stab them a hundred times. Why? because on stab number 99, the victim was still moving. This doesnt translate well to personal defense. But a knife is a cutting tool, and should be used as one. it only takes one or two well places slashes to imobilize, nuetralize, and not nessicarily kill, any living creature. When looking at it this way, suddenly as sharp knife becomes important. at least to me.

I've owned Kershaw's, and ColdSteel mainly. Serving in the Airforce i've been exposed to MANY other peoples knives as i've gained a bit of a reputaion for sharpening. I have experience with SOG's, CRKT's, Buck's, and a few others. Thus far, I stand by Benchmade and its my carry knife of choice based on edge retention, design, durability and feel in hand.

Another company that gets very high marks is Spiderco, altho my experience with them is very limited.

All in all, Benchmade is expensive, no doubt. but you get what you pay for, especially in a knife. And when it comes down to it, whats the price of Security to you.
I hope this is helpful. Best of luck

P.S. Disreguard my privious post please. TY...

I'm not trying to debate the effectiveness of a knife versus a dog, however, there was a dog attack a little while back where a kid was being mauled by a pit bull, a man stopped the attack with 1 stab from a kitchen knife. Link-http://www.10tv.com/content/stories/2010/05/09/story-columbus-dog-attack-powell-avenue.html . Also a quick google search yeilded alot of similiar results.

I know this is a worst case scenario, I'm assuming I'm already being attacked NOT trying to prevent an attack. I think I would be more effective at stopping the attack with a good knife than with pepper spray.

My neighborhood (where I run) is very nice, upper class middle age to older type people (im not talking about running with wild alley pit bulls) I've never even seen a stray dog. However, thats not to say some old lady couldnt get overpowered by her dog and it possibly attacks me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Drife</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just kick it in the balls.</div></div>

And...what if it doesn't have balls. Bitches bite too.

I'd say you'd better get used to the weight of a can of pepper spray in a joggers belt or fanny pack.

If you really want to defend yourself, get a small pistol.

They don't weigh so much it would affect your times that bad. Certainly not as much as a dog coming out and attacking you.

A knife is not a good option IMO. Especially, a small light one that will fit in an armband.

Someone posted an instance of a kitchen knife being effective. There is a big difference between an 8" chefs knife and 2" folder. Also the guy using the knife was not the one being attacked. If you are using the knife on the dog, that means you have been bit are going to be bit.

I understand your predicament. I have to run where I live - which happens to take me through some orchards, vineyards, and piss poor neighborhoods (not the vineyards you see on TV). I actually quit bicycling becuase all too often I'd get ambushed by one or another stray nasty dog. I run avidly - with the company of a loyal german shepherd dog. That said I have used up three or more cans of pepper spray, and gotten into more than enough stand-offs with dogs. When walking the dog at night, I'm armed with enough for all-comers. However, running, I too was concerned with equipment weight vs. fitness goals. On some runs I have a water belt that holds pepper spray where I don't notice it. I used to carry an ASP, but my runs got too long and involved for the cumbersome ASP. Other runs I have a jogging stroller, which carries the ASP, spray, or whatever else strikes my fancy.
Back to topic about knives:
I'm a knife nut too, and I've always got one or two affordable but solid knives in reach. For EDC, I always have a Ka Bar TDI knife (fixed blade with intuitive pistol grip) as a last chance knife on my support side belt. I would _never_ count on a folder for any stress / life safety issue. Folders are for peeling oranges, opening boxes, and everyday tasks, etc.
Back to topic on dogs:
I'm a dog nut too, and I love them. But they certainly come in evil varieties too. That said, I've seen dogs shot in action that fail to know they've been hit, and heard more stories about attacks from already shot dogs that just keep comming. I know that dogs are just about oblivious to cuts and bites when they enter the red-zone. You have to stop major bodily functions to end a dog attack - once the true attack launches. A knife woun't do that in time. If I had to pick a non-firearm for a dog attack I'd go with tomahawk and bowie combination, or perhaps machette. Try jogging with those and you'll find out what the inside of county lock-up looks like in your part of town.
In summary:
A knife vs. dog is just looking for bloody messes. If you are truly fast (5 minute miles) you may be able to out-sprint average dogs, unless they are really hungry. Try to see dog enounters early enough and avoid them. If you stop running, stare, make your self big-looking and shout, you can usually get a dog to keep his distance. I have learned to grab a handful of gravel or rocks and throw - usually spooks a dog off. Always keep your eyes open for improvised weapons too, sticks, bottles, etc. You can bring a friendly dog along on the run, and that way at least you will have an extra set of eyes and ears on your side, and you won't be the first target of a dog attack. Ultimately you'll have to decide to be armed and safe, or unarmed and faster.

If folders are what you want then a Spyderco P'kal. Will open as quickly as a fixed blade if you practice and carry it right.

Or else get a Shivworks Disciple and learn how to use it. Far more intuitive use of knife for fighting man or beast.

Cold steel ti-lite is a good folder get the 4" model otherwise and in my opinion go a neck knife/boot knife like a cold steel spike or a smith and wesson hrt or cold steel tac 2 or mini pembleton if you can't tell I like cold steel their dependable I would carry 1 but in but we don't carry knives at all. A koga tool or a delta dart may suit aswell, look at cold steel shadow series also their light and composite so won't weigh too much