• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Spuhr

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 25, 2009
Sweden
www.spuhr.com
It was years ago since I made My last blade and to much work on the computor made me wanting to file something!

Starting with grinding out a D2 blade on stones (nope don't own any beltsander)
ra6unu9e.jpg

Some work with handtools make results better looking.....
2e5u2e4e.jpg

Packing The blade into stainless folie to avoid the oxygen hits The steel....
y9y6u2uj.jpg

Only existing Spuhr knife on only existing Spuhr Rifle with a pretty common Spuhr mount:)
ze8yja4a.jpg

Great looking knife! I've heard d2 steel is one of the best steels to use , it holds a sharp edge very well

D2 and A2 are two of my favorite steels for knife making. Both have different properties, and work better on different knife types. Some steels don't do well with shock so they aren't good for long blades, or chopping blades. For for a blade such as the dagger in this thread, D2 is an excellent choice.

A2 is interesting because once it is heat treated, the heat required to bring down it's rockwell hardness is VERY high, or it must soak for a very long time.

Awesome job on that knife. I have an affinity for knives as bad as I do shotguns. Not sure why I like the shotguns so much, but I know I can never be without a good blade ever. I've always wanted to try my hand at making my own.

Zombiemonkey

I am an old school toolmaker and gunsmith. Things related I am fair at, but there is a lot Of things i don't understand and have no interest for such as cars, motorcycles, sports etc....