• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Knights Armament SR-25 E2 PR

DustBun

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Mar 7, 2018
    Ocala, FL
    This is my first post and I want to share what I have learned from building my new rifle. It is a Knights Armament SR-25 E2 PR with a U.S. Optics B-17 scope on a Spuhr mount. I hope this will help others considering a similar build.

A little background on me. I am new to long distance precision shooting and this is my first serious rifle. I am also an Engineer. As an Engineer, I complete a design before I order the first component. I try to ensure that all variables are known and solved for so that I do not find out about a problem in the middle of a project after spending a significant amount of money. This is the way I approached this rifle build.

For my purposes, I wanted a .308 semi-automatic rifle that had sub MOA accuracy and repeatability out to 900 meters, or more, while in supersonic flight. There were other requirements but for this conversation, these were the main criteria for the rifle. I decided to go with the Knights Armament SR-25 E2 PR.

After looking at several different scopes, I decided to go with the U.S. Optics B-17. The component I struggled with the most was the scope mount. I wanted a Spuhr mount because I like the rigidity, quality, low profile design and the available mounting options it provides for ACI’s and other items. I wanted a cantilever mount for eye relief and for ease of access to the charging handle but they don’t make one with a large clearance area between the rings for the U.S. Optics B-17 larger turret base. I contacted Spuhr and they recommended the 4603B. I modeled everything in my CAD program and it looked like I might have enough eye relief if the mount was as far forward as possible and the scope was mounted as far forward in the rings as possible. I could also see that the scope eyepiece would be directly above the charging handle making the charging handle difficult to access. I needed a charging handle with longer levers to get out beyond the eyepiece. I chose the Badger Ordnance GEN 3 Ambidextrous Charging Handle. I was left with the dilemma to either stay with the U.S. Optics B-17 scope and Spuhr mount and deal with some draw backs or keep the U.S. Optics scope and change the mount or keep the Spuhr mount and change the scope. I decided to stay with the U.S. Optics B-17 scope and the Spuhr mount.

Having identified the rifle and all of the components and feeling comfortable about everything interfacing well, I had the biggest hurdle of all to overcome. My wife. So I ordered everything and after a couple of months everything finally came in and I built the platform. Everything has worked out well except for the charging handle I selected and the only reason it didn’t work out was because the offset rear sight would hit the charging handle lever when the rear sight was down, otherwise the Badger Ordnance would have been fine. The levers were too thick, meaning the part where the finger goes is too far forward. I replaced it with the FALKOR MACH 10 Charging Handle and although the offset rear sight is close to the charging handle lever, it does not contact it. The FALKOR levers are thinner and wide getting it outside of the eyepiece. It’s a little awkward to get to the charging handle but I am getting used to it. I use the left side of the charging handle instead of both sides.

I broke in the barrel per Knights Armament’s procedure. I have been using the .308, 175 grain, Federal Gold Medal Sierra Matchking and have fired a total of 252 rounds through it. I have zeroed it at 100 yards and in the last 65 rounds, the rifle is holding five round groups ranging between 0.680” to 0.880”. I have a long way to go to get to where I want to be but I am enjoying this rifle and the other components. It is a very smooth rifle.

I hope this has or will be helpful to others looking to do a similar build. The build is:

Knights Armament SR-25 E2 PR M-LOK (31961)
    U.S. Optics B-17 Scope with Horus H102 Reticle and Internal Eyepiece Level
    Spuhr 4603B Mount
    Knights Armament Precision Bipod
    Knights Armament M-LOK 3” 5 Slot Rail Section
    Knights Armament 45º Offset Folding Sights
    VZ Grips Alien Standard Grip and 4” Inter-Lok Rail Grips
    FALKOR MACH 10 Charging Handle
    P1010011.JPG
    P1010013.JPG
    P1010014.JPG
    P1010017.JPG
    P1010021.JPG
    P1010022.JPG
    P1010025.JPG
    P1010027.JPG

Gorgeous set up..............love the mount.

I have 3 KAC's but all are SR-15's; haven't quite convinced myself to drop the coin on an SR-25.............................yet. ;)

MM

Why that certainly is badass!

Got basically the same rifle:

IMG_0861.JPG

Don't understand why you replaced the tube and charging handle? That B17 looks longer than the LR17, you must have the sunshade on it. Really like those new caps, seems like all four of my USO's need damn caps.

I'd prefer a fixed adj. stock, MAMS brake and URX 2-3 tube, but I'm not gonna shell out the money to make it happen. Maybe the stock, possibly the brake some day. I dig those offset sights, did yours come with those? I had to relocate all the front sights to the middle of the rail so the PVS 30 would fit on several rifles, including this one. Still works, just was a hassle redoing all those rifles.

FWIW, I have an LR17 in a Badger mount, Atlas bipod, KAC QDC suppressor, KAC PVS 30 CNVD. The rifle is stock except for the Magpul grip, I just love those damn MIAD and K2 grips. The QDC is probably one of the best all around suppressors on the market IMO, very well though out and it works well.

Nice write up! That is one nice looking rifle.. Congrats! The SR-25 is a great platform, and what Nick “The Reaper” used to slay the enemy with..

That is a sweet setup.
    The optic is pretty massive for the cartridge and barrel length for my tastes, but you are definitely maximizing the potential of the rifle with an optic like that.
    Beautiful

Why that certainly is badass!

View attachment 6967280

Don't understand why you replaced the tube and charging handle? That B17 looks longer than the LR17, you must have the sunshade on it. Really like those new caps, seems like all four of my USO's need damn caps.

I'd prefer a fixed adj. stock, MAMS brake and URX 2-3 tube, but I'm not gonna shell out the money to make it happen. Maybe the stock, possibly the brake some day. I dig those offset sights, did yours come with those? I had to relocate all the front sights to the middle of the rail so the PVS 30 would fit on several rifles, including this one. Still works, just was a hassle redoing all those rifles.

FWIW, I have an LR17 in a Badger mount, Atlas bipod, KAC QDC suppressor, KAC PVS 30 CNVD. The rifle is stock except for the Magpul grip, I just love those damn MIAD and K2 grips. The QDC is probably one of the best all around suppressors on the market IMO, very well though out and it works well.
    No, you have a badass rifle. Very nice. I changed the charging handle because the KAC handle did not have a very long lever arm and it was difficult to get to under the eyepiece of the scope to get to the charging handle. The FALCOR makes it better. I am currently in the waiting period for the QDC suppressor. It looks like it will be awhile. Thanks for the feedback.

Great looking setup!

To you and those that have the offset iron sights.....does using them seem natural or weird/funky?

Great looking setup!

To you and those that have the offset iron sights.....does using them seem natural or weird/funky?
    Thank you. To answer your question, to me the offset sights do seem a bit awkward at first. The butt pad doesn't fit into the shoulder cup like I am used to and the way my trigger hand has to angle is different. But I wanted a simple lightweight backup sight system. Honestly I don't have enough time on them yet so maybe it gets better with time? Of course that's what I was told about marriage. Just kidding.

Now please keep shooting and show those targets! I'm still just "researching", so I'd like to get the experience vicariously at least. Thanks

I use the KAC adjustable 200-600M micro folding offset on this 16" OBR. Painting the small post orange really helps picking up the front sight thru the ghost ring. Magneto speed photo before using my free floating rail adapter.

CIMG0334 copy.JPG
    IMG_6488 copy.JPG
    DSCN4642 copy.JPG

Last edited:

What's that pig fucker weigh?

A fucking shit-ton! That LR17 ain't light and that PVS30 is a damn brick. Feels like it's solid steel, no joke! I don't have the actual weight, never weighed it, but it seems reminiscent of shoulder firing an M240 or a SAW with a PVS4 on top. Maybe 26lbs? Just guessing.

Reactions: Numb_Skull
    No, you have a badass rifle. Very nice. I changed the charging handle because the KAC handle did not have a very long lever arm and it was difficult to get to under the eyepiece of the scope to get to the charging handle. The FALCOR makes it better. I am currently in the waiting period for the QDC suppressor. It looks like it will be awhile. Thanks for the feedback.

Yeah, no problem, I was just curious about the change. See, the one I have I liked it so much out of the box the only thing I changed was the grip, I have those on all my rifles, nothing fits my hand like those do. I like the factory grip, I really do (and ought to, military spent $1million(!) to design it) but it's too narrow and my fingers are long. My charging handle works fine how I've got it setup.

You're gonna get a kick out of that QDC. It's expensive, but it's very nice and suits that rifle well. I have a lot of cans, don't have one even similar to the degree of engineering that went into that one, it's one of a kind. I consider it the "best all around", period. You'll see why when you get it. Did you get the one MSTN was selling on here? He had one for ~$1000 or 1100, either price is killer for one of those. The CQB version on the other hand, is totally NOT worth it. It's basically just a moderator, prevents you from blowing your ears out but still loud. TBAC makes a better shorty.

Yeah, no problem, I was just curious about the change. See, the one I have I liked it so much out of the box the only thing I changed was the grip, I have those on all my rifles, nothing fits my hand like those do. I like the factory grip, I really do (and ought to, military spent $1million(!) to design it) but it's too narrow and my fingers are long. My charging handle works fine how I've got it setup.

You're gonna get a kick out of that QDC. It's expensive, but it's very nice and suits that rifle well. I have a lot of cans, don't have one even similar to the degree of engineering that went into that one, it's one of a kind. I consider it the "best all around", period. You'll see why when you get it. Did you get the one MSTN was selling on here? He had one for ~$1000 or 1100, either price is killer for one of those. The CQB version on the other hand, is totally NOT worth it. It's basically just a moderator, prevents you from blowing your ears out but still loud. TBAC makes a better shorty.

This will be my first suppressor. I have ordered the KAC 7.62 QDC/PRS. I setup an NFA Trust and they are telling me about 9 months. It's pretty silly to have to wait that long for something that I should just be able to purchase but... it is what it is.

This is my first post and I want to share what I have learned from building my new rifle. It is a Knights Armament SR-25 E2 PR with a U.S. Optics B-17 scope on a Spuhr mount. I hope this will help others considering a similar build.

A little background on me. I am new to long distance precision shooting and this is my first serious rifle. I am also an Engineer. As an Engineer, I complete a design before I order the first component. I try to ensure that all variables are known and solved for so that I do not find out about a problem in the middle of a project after spending a significant amount of money. This is the way I approached this rifle build.

For my purposes, I wanted a .308 semi-automatic rifle that had sub MOA accuracy and repeatability out to 900 meters, or more, while in supersonic flight. There were other requirements but for this conversation, these were the main criteria for the rifle. I decided to go with the Knights Armament SR-25 E2 PR.

After looking at several different scopes, I decided to go with the U.S. Optics B-17. The component I struggled with the most was the scope mount. I wanted a Spuhr mount because I like the rigidity, quality, low profile design and the available mounting options it provides for ACI’s and other items. I wanted a cantilever mount for eye relief and for ease of access to the charging handle but they don’t make one with a large clearance area between the rings for the U.S. Optics B-17 larger turret base. I contacted Spuhr and they recommended the 4603B. I modeled everything in my CAD program and it looked like I might have enough eye relief if the mount was as far forward as possible and the scope was mounted as far forward in the rings as possible. I could also see that the scope eyepiece would be directly above the charging handle making the charging handle difficult to access. I needed a charging handle with longer levers to get out beyond the eyepiece. I chose the Badger Ordnance GEN 3 Ambidextrous Charging Handle. I was left with the dilemma to either stay with the U.S. Optics B-17 scope and Spuhr mount and deal with some draw backs or keep the U.S. Optics scope and change the mount or keep the Spuhr mount and change the scope. I decided to stay with the U.S. Optics B-17 scope and the Spuhr mount.

Having identified the rifle and all of the components and feeling comfortable about everything interfacing well, I had the biggest hurdle of all to overcome. My wife. So I ordered everything and after a couple of months everything finally came in and I built the platform. Everything has worked out well except for the charging handle I selected and the only reason it didn’t work out was because the offset rear sight would hit the charging handle lever when the rear sight was down, otherwise the Badger Ordnance would have been fine. The levers were too thick, meaning the part where the finger goes is too far forward. I replaced it with the FALKOR MACH 10 Charging Handle and although the offset rear sight is close to the charging handle lever, it does not contact it. The FALKOR levers are thinner and wide getting it outside of the eyepiece. It’s a little awkward to get to the charging handle but I am getting used to it. I use the left side of the charging handle instead of both sides.

I broke in the barrel per Knights Armament’s procedure. I have been using the .308, 175 grain, Federal Gold Medal Sierra Matchking and have fired a total of 252 rounds through it. I have zeroed it at 100 yards and in the last 65 rounds, the rifle is holding five round groups ranging between 0.680” to 0.880”. I have a long way to go to get to where I want to be but I am enjoying this rifle and the other components. It is a very smooth rifle.

I hope this has or will be helpful to others looking to do a similar build. The build is:

Knights Armament SR-25 E2 PR M-LOK (31961)
    U.S. Optics B-17 Scope with Horus H102 Reticle and Internal Eyepiece Level
    Spuhr 4603B Mount
    Knights Armament Precision Bipod
    Knights Armament M-LOK 3” 5 Slot Rail Section
    Knights Armament 45º Offset Folding Sights
    VZ Grips Alien Standard Grip and 4” Inter-Lok Rail Grips
    FALKOR MACH 10 Charging Handle
    View attachment 6966336View attachment 6966338View attachment 6966339View attachment 6966340View attachment 6966341View attachment 6966342View attachment 6966343View attachment 6966345
    So you put all of that forethought into your build, but ended up with .308? 2005 called, and they'd like their chambering back. LMAO!

I'm kidding.

Welcome to our humble abode. That system looks really nice. KAC makes great rifles. If you're wanting this to be a "precision" rifle, I'd consider swapping the trigger and the buttstock. Don't get me wrong, I love KAC's hardware, but let's be honest, they're a bit proud of their trigger. There's an untold number of options that are a significant improvement over their factory two-stage.

Let us know when you buy your bolt rifle ;)

Not an engineer.
    There are plenty of them in circulation, however you will have to really get off the wallet and pay Superbowl ticket scalping prices. I picked
    up this one last week on Gunbroker. I don't have a 7.62 SBR so I decided to build one around a scope ; started with a now old-school scope, a couple of weeks ago my LGS just offered their only and new Leupold 1.1.-8 CQBSS; ordered some Tenebraex scope caps, Switchview folding lever. I am going to use the GDI L-PROM mounts which I have on several other S&B's and have been impressed with their return-to-zero. Agree with the comment about KAC trigger pride; I use a lot of Geiselle's 2-stage SSA's and some Wilsons' too. Will replace the left side bolt release with Geiselle Maritime bolt release which have on several SBR's and it's really good kit. Not a particular fan of the KAC stock, so I will get one for completeness but will most likely use Roger's SuperStock. Next mission, Form 1 paper work and source a KAC 14.5" URX 4 complete upper, nearly unobtanium. Will mount an Atlas bipod and QD suppressor. Probably install a PRI gas-buster charging handle too. It should be a good 400-500 M range platform.

IMG_8425 copy.jpg
    IMG_8427 copy.jpg
    IMG_8429 copy.jpg
    IMG_8648 copy.jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-03-10 at 6.21.53 PM copy.png
    Screen Shot 2021-03-24 at 6.47.30 PM copy.png

Last edited:
    Reactions: DustBun