• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Known NFA Issues & Proper Address

sandwalk3r

Private
Minuteman
Mar 11, 2011
Kentucky
I have had some issues in my various applications for cans and SBRs that I have sent through to the ATF. Perhaps these issues are well known to the Hide, but I think the entire process is muddy and hope this thread helps and please share your rejection stories.

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="text-decoration: underline">I. Proper Mailind Address for Applications</span></span>

The NFA Branch has moved to Martinsburg, WV, but they apparently route through Atlanta, GA.

I just called ATF to confirm before sending in a new SBR app, and I have confirmed the following address is where all NFA application forms are to be sent:

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="text-decoration: underline">Mailing Address - Form Submission</span></span>
Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives
PO Box 530298
Atlanta, GA 30353

The new branch office and question line is as follows for reference purposes:

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="text-decoration: underline">New Office Address</span></span>
NFA Branch
244 Needy Rd
Suite 1250
Martinsburg, WV 25405
Phone: 304.616.4500

<span style="text-decoration: line-through"><span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="text-decoration: underline">II - Online Printable Forms Are Bogus</span></span></span>

Edit: user feedback confirmed that online forms are usable from the ATF website IF and only IF you print front and back and follow instructions carefully. One-sided print jobs will not be accepted.

My prior intel was that the perforated sheets directly from ATF were all they were accepting and that online forms were being rejected, but it must have been for the one-sided print reason.

Thanks for those who helped clarify! Please share more troubleshooting issues if you have them, and if it's a helpful enough resource, I'll update and reorganize the main post.

Re: Known NFA Issues & Proper Address

My form 4 approved last week and my dealer filled out the forms online and printed. Key is to follow the online instructions and print them out correctly.

Pretty sure I have used only online forms also. About to send a form 1 in that I will print from online. I know they HAVE to be double sided copy's.

This is directly from my form 1..

h. Photocopies or Computer Generated Versions. The ATF Form 1 may be photocopied or a computer-generated version (as long as it is in the same format and contains all required information) may be used. This form may also be downloaded from the ATF Internet website at www.atf.gov . After downloading this form, photocopy it so that the front and back are on the same sheet of paper. The NFA Branch will not accept the application if the front and back are on separate sheets of paper.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: springer01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Pretty sure I have used only online forms also. About to send a form 1 in that I will print from online. I know they HAVE to be double sided copy's.

This is directly from my form 1..

h. Photocopies or Computer Generated Versions. The ATF Form 1 may be photocopied or a computer-generated version (as long as it is in the same format and contains all required information) may be used. This form may also be downloaded from the ATF Internet website at www.atf.gov . After downloading this form, photocopy it so that the front and back are on the same sheet of paper. The NFA Branch will not accept the application if the front and back are on separate sheets of paper. </div></div>

That may have been the issue. I'll pass on to the guys around Ft Campbell for their reference. Thanks!

One more minor detail here on form 1's for making SBR's, SBS's, suppressors, DD's and AOW's-the form 1 will go direct to the NFA Branch at 244 Needy Rd, Martinsburg WV 25405 . These forms need to go to the NFA branch prior to having the check cashed in Atlanta. The Atlanta address is a bank, its not an ATF office. Form 4's and tax paid form 5's go to Atlanta to have the check cashed prior to NFA branch working on the forms. Form 1's on the other hand need to go to NFA first so that the legality of the item being made can be deterimined prior to cashing the check. It saves a lot of time in refunds to do it this way. Sending your form 1 to the Atlanta address can delay things as well so read the form. Upper right hand corner is the mailing address on each form that it needs to be sent to.

Frank

That's odd Frank. The lady on the line told me to mail SBR apps to Atlanta ;(

I've decided they want this process to be clear as mud.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sandwalk3r</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That's odd Frank. The lady on the line told me to mail SBR apps to Atlanta ;(

I've decided they want this process to be clear as mud. </div></div>

As we've found in many cases, listening to the folks on the phone isn't always the best advice. Look at the upper right hand corner of the form and see what address is there. It will either be the Atlanta address or the Martinsville one. If its chicago the form is outdated...use the address on the forms not the advice from me or the lady on the phone. I do my best to keep up with them but most of my dealings are form 2's for manufacturing, form 3's for dealer transfers and form 4's for transferring to regular Joes. They usually send us FFL newsletters that update silly things like addresses and form info but they are as dependable as any other govt agency.

Hope that helps clarify.

Frank