• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Kodiak Tents?

Naaman

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
May 13, 2020
I'm looking for a 10- to 12-person tent (the bigger the better) that I can throw in the back of an SUV and take the family camping in any weather.

So far, it seems Kodiak makes what I'm looking for, but wanted to check with folks to see what else is out there, or what you all think of the brand.

Full disclosure: "Ranger proof" or "Marine proof" may not be tough enough to handle my 4 boys (they seem to be able to break ANYTHING)... lol. So I need something truly rugged for those unforeseen accidents that happen when young boys get a little over enthusiastic... or just curiously experimental. :ROFLMAO:

The tent will be used for camping with the family, and hunting trips with 1 or 2 of the boys at a time (ages are currently 12 and under).

Beckel canvas out of milwaukie Oregon makes some nice wall tents.

Reactions: Naaman
10 to 12 FT or Person?
10 Person is Huge hugemungous
10 to 12 person tent. Are the Kodiaks bigger than something like a Coleman? We have a 10-person Coleman and a 12-person off-brand that my wife bought on Amazon (cheap junk). The Coleman has been great, but entropy + young boys have run it to the ground.

10 to 12 person tent. Are the Kodiaks bigger than something like a Coleman? We have a 10-person Coleman and a 12-person off-brand that my wife bought on Amazon (cheap junk). The Coleman has been great, but entropy + young boys have run it to the ground.
Lol well I suppose it could be a 10 person if you layed side by side.

Id take some tape, string or a tarp. Same size as the kodiak you are thinking about and lay it out on the ground.
It will give you a feel.

But we have had a 10x10 flex bow for 3 years and its fantastic.
Competition is legit and should have the best prices.
Lots of I info over on Rokslide about the flexbow.

Lol well I suppose it could be a 10 person if you layed side by side.

Id take some tape, string or a tarp. Same size as the kodiak you are thinking about and lay it out on the ground.
It will give you a feel.

But we have had a 10x10 flex bow for 3 years and its fantastic.
Competition is legit and should have the best prices.
Lots of I info over on Rokslide about the flexbow.
Oh, yeah. I forgot about Rockslide. (y)

I too have a coleman and it's great

We have the 10x14 flexbow Kodiak. It’s an awesome setup and has survived a couple nights of 30+ mph winds, snow ect. The best part is how easy they are to setup. I can easily set it up by myself in under 15 minutes.

Davis Wall Tent for me BUT a 10-12 person tent is gonna take some time to put up and bulk as hell to pack and carry.

I still got mine but now if I got a big group I roll 2 Seek Outside 12 person tipi's with stoves.

Pricey? You bet!

But both tipis and stoves are definitely more compact then a big wall tent.

Don't get me wrong a big wall tent is great just gotta be mindful of the size/weight/stove and frame.

Our 10-person Coleman packed up real tight--could carry it in one hand, very small footprint in the back of the car. Looking at these canvas tents, I can see there will be some logistical adaptations necessary if I go that route. (y)

I think a 10x14 Kodiak Flex bow is what you're looking for.
But keep in mind id pretty large to pack.
My 10x10 is 68 lbs for both bags.
The tent bag is about the size of two 5 gal buckets laying end to end.

Another thing it is not free standing. Meaning at least the 4 corners have to be staked down to even erect it. So if you have super hard ground it can be an issue.

Definitely want to grab a cheap mini 3lb sledge to leave in the tent bag.

I've heard Kodiak has had alot of supply and some customer service issues since the dreaded 2020 started. But id Definitely buy mine again.
I bought the basic because we use it for hunting mostly. Never thought we would hang out in it.
We I wish I would have sprung for the premium with the big end vents.

After mine was in a good rain it shrunk just a tiny bit and made the up rite poles extremely hard to get in, I ended up cutting about an inch off each one.

And not that It needs it but I thru in a few extra stakes and rope so that I can guy out the top poles on the sides in super high winds.

The only other thing I wish it really had is water can collect in the porch roof
It needs a grommet so you can guy it down to get the water to drain.
As of now I tip one corner down but it would be nicer to have the extra bit of head room.

I think a 10x14 Kodiak Flex bow is what you're looking for.
But keep in mind id pretty large to pack.
My 10x10 is 68 lbs for both bags.
The tent bag is about the size of two 5 gal buckets laying end to end.

Another thing it is not free standing. Meaning at least the 4 corners have to be staked down to even erect it. So if you have super hard ground it can be an issue.

Definitely want to grab a cheap mini 3lb sledge to leave in the tent bag.

I've heard Kodiak has had alot of supply and some customer service issues since the dreaded 2020 started. But id Definitely buy mine again.
I bought the basic because we use it for hunting mostly. Never thought we would hang out in it.
We I wish I would have sprung for the premium with the big end vents.

After mine was in a good rain it shrunk just a tiny bit and made the up rite poles extremely hard to get in, I ended up cutting about an inch off each one.

And not that It needs it but I thru in a few extra stakes and rope so that I can guy out the top poles on the sides in super high winds.

The only other thing I wish it really had is water can collect in the porch roof
It needs a grommet so you can guy it down to get the water to drain.
As of now I tip one corner down but it would be nicer to have the extra bit of head room.
The 12-person tent my wife bought is pretty heavy. I'll have to look into the weight issue and see if it matters to me or not (for now, I assume it won't because it will only matter when moving it to/from the car).

Thanks for the details, I appreciate it.

Mine is heavy but easily managed for car camping. I wouldn’t want to pack it a mile. The simplicity and durability are well worth the weight. We got tired of the standard REI, Coleman ect light duty tents being replaced ever couple years or being damaged in weather/storms. This tent is worth every penny and shows little to no wear in the last couple years of use.

Have you considered multiple smaller tents?
That was our original set up. As the kids have gotten bigger, they couldn't use what we had before. Eventually, I could see having 2 or 3 tents on a full family camping trip, assuming multiple smaller tents pack into a similar amount of space in the car.

I've been super happy with Davis tents. I've used Montana Canvas all over North America, and they certainly make a good tent but owning both I would say the Davis tents are more consistent in terms of sizing and quality. The coated fabric Montana tents are pretty cool if classic canvas isn't your thing.

Once you get a system for wall tent setup, it isn't as daunting as the first couple tries. Big ass wall tents are living large if you're gonna be in the same spot for a while.

Cabela's Alaknak tents pack up pretty small for the square footage too, that's worth looking at.

I’ve had 700$ north face mountaineering tents, but picked up a cheapy from rei . https://www.rei.com/product/168433/rei-co-op-passage-2-tent-with-footprint

Then another. They have lasted 4 summer 1.5month practically everyday camping trips and are still kicking, barely.

I started off looking at REI and after about 2 minutes, decided to just ask folks here. I'll circle back around and give them a look.

I've been super happy with Davis tents. I've used Montana Canvas all over North America, and they certainly make a good tent but owning both I would say the Davis tents are more consistent in terms of sizing and quality. The coated fabric Montana tents are pretty cool if classic canvas isn't your thing.

Once you get a system for wall tent setup, it isn't as daunting as the first couple tries. Big ass wall tents are living large if you're gonna be in the same spot for a while.

Cabela's Alaknak tents pack up pretty small for the square footage too, that's worth looking at.

Haha! Not sure why, but never even thought to check out Cabela's. Also haven't heard of Davis. I'll take a look at them too.

Ultimately my point is even a cheapie backpacking tent with a full coverage rain fly will suffice most situations. We have 3 kids and tried the big canvas circus tent. The space is nice, but you hear everyone moving around.

If you break them into smaller groups it’s quieter.

I just don't think a full wall tent is what the op is looking for in a weekend with the family tent. They just take up way to much room and take to long to set up/break down.

I wouldn't actually mind having multiple solutions. One of the things the kids love to do is camp in the back yard. We used to put up our Coleman in the fall/winter and leave it up for the season so the kids could have a "club house" and camp out as a family on the weekends.

Seems like a sturdy wall tent might be a great way to pull something like that off.

I'm a big fan of the Oztents. You could get an RV-5 plus a Tagalong to get you to ten but it would be a tight fit.

Not sure if you bought anything yet, but a big thing you have to decide is whether or not you want a sewn in floor. Internal frame wall tents are great, but they don’t typically have a sewn in floor.

I picked up a Kodiak Canvas tent this year after getting tired of wondering if the Walmart tent was going to blow over every time we slept in it. The Kodiak is WAY stronger, but it is also heavy and takes up a lot more space in the vehicle.

Also, you can’t store canvas wet or it will mildew.

Not sure if you bought anything yet, but a big thing you have to decide is whether or not you want a sewn in floor. Internal frame wall tents are great, but they don’t typically have a sewn in floor.

I picked up a Kodiak Canvas tent this year after getting tired of wondering if the Walmart tent was going to blow over every time we slept in it. The Kodiak is WAY stronger, but it is also heavy and takes up a lot more space in the vehicle.

Also, you can’t store canvas wet or it will mildew.
Thanks for the details.

Haven't bought anything yet. Still saving up.

I take it that the canvas is somewhat absorbent, then? Is air drying the best way to dry it before packing it up?

Thanks for the details.

Haven't bought anything yet. Still saving up.

I take it that the canvas is somewhat absorbent, then? Is air drying the best way to dry it before packing it up?
Some people set it back up when they get home, hang it up in the garage, etc.

They are so tightly woven that small amounts of rain run off. If it pours they will absorb some but they dry quickly in the sun and air. If put up wet they do have yo be set back up in the sun at home

They will absorb some water and the first few times they get wet they can leak a small amount but as they get wet and dry a few times it tightens the fibers and becomes more water proof

Had a Kodiak Flex Bow for about 8 years now. Best tent I have ever had, and have been through a lot. If you season it the way the directions tell you when you first get it, it will not leak at all. Easy to set, me and Wife takes maybe 10 minutes at the most. They do take up a good bit of room and are heavy though.