• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

FredHammer

FAFOIST
Minuteman
  • Mar 23, 2006
    CONUS
    LOL! Not what you were expecting!

Can I get your opinion/advice on the best SFP MVPO? Simple Mil reticle.

STFU! I really want to know what he recommends!

What if he recommends you massage his head while he drops a steaming deuce from 6” above on the fudds snowy drop test mat? Are you down? Will it hit POA?

That’s weird enough that I’d probably join onlyfans to watch as long as he promises to wear a Tarzan deal to cover his junk.

• Haha
    Reactions: carbonbased
    What if he recommends you massage his head while he drops a steaming deuce from 6” above on the fudds snowy drop test mat? Are you down? Will it hit POA?

That’s weird enough that I’d probably join onlyfans to watch as long as he promises to wear a Tarzan deal to cover his junk.
    Nobody believes you need to "join" only fans.

LOL! Not what you were expecting!

Price range?

Nightforce NXS 2.5-10x42 is overpriced, but quite nice and well proven.

March has a SFP version of the 1.5-15x42 that I like. FD-1 or FD-2 reticles would be my choice.

Do you need to dial?

There are some hunting scopes that might work.

ILya

Interestingly, the SFP requirements makes it difficult. The market is definitely moving toward FFP and, frankly, for a good reason.

If you are a MOA shooter, there is a 2.5-12.5x42 version of Trijicon Credo HX, that will work for your needs.
    If mrad, there is a similar Credo model.

Outside of that, I'd just look for a used NXS 2.5-10x42 to fit into your budget.

ILya

Okay, I'll play "Ask Koshkins Advise". I've just traded in to a 1954 M70 30-06 (after reading Terry Cross in the Elk Rifle thread). Now I need glass. My ideal scope would look like a Weaver K-4 or an old Redfield but have all the attributes of a Bushnell LRHS 4.5-18x44 with the G2H reticle. Don't mind capped turrets with a good reticle. FFP is fine. Perfect price would be around $1100, as that's about what I have in the rifle. Probably use Talley rings. Any thoughts?

Okay, I'll play "Ask Koshkins Advise". I've just traded in to a 1954 M70 30-06 (after reading Terry Cross in the Elk Rifle thread). Now I need glass. My ideal scope would look like a Weaver K-4 or an old Redfield but have all the attributes of a Bushnell LRHS 4.5-18x44 with the G2H reticle. Don't mind capped turrets with a good reticle. FFP is fine. Perfect price would be around $1100, as that's about what I have in the rifle. Probably use Talley rings. Any thoughts?
    None whatsoever. I have no idea what a K4 with LRHS attributes would look like.

What not just get LRHS2 since you seem to like the original?

If you are OK with a Chinese-made scopes, Athlon Helos BTR Gen2 2-12x42 is worth looking at.

ILya

None whatsoever. I have no idea what a K4 with LRHS attributes would look like.

What not just get LRHS2 since you seem to like the original?

If you are OK with a Chinese-made scopes, Athlon Helos BTR Gen2 2-12x42 is worth looking at.

ILya
    Yeah, I knew that was a tough one. If you're stumped, I know it's really tough. I've actually got a few Bushnell and can certainly put one on. The ideal scope would just look a little vintage, but modern glass. I also have a old Weaver K-4 and a 70s Redfield Widefield, but as we all know, they just look terrible nowadays. I do appreciate your advice though. Always respected your reviews. Thanks.

Reactions: lash
    Interestingly, the SFP requirements makes it difficult. The market is definitely moving toward FFP and, frankly, for a good reason.

If you are a MOA shooter, there is a 2.5-12.5x42 version of Trijicon Credo HX, that will work for your needs.
    If mrad, there is a similar Credo model.

Outside of that, I'd just look for a used NXS 2.5-10x42 to fit into your budget.

ILya
    Thanks for your time. All the 2-10/3-15s with FFPs have reticles too small for my eyes at lower mag ranges. I've got a 2-10X42 Credo that has a beautiful reticle for FFP and distance above 6X, but I don't like to rely on electronics to provide me the usable reticle down low. It's a murphy thing. By the time I am comfortable with a reticle size I am at max power anyway, so I want a SFP scope with mrad windage at least. Then down low I'm not hunting for the reticle.

Yeah, I knew that was a tough one. If you're stumped, I know it's really tough. I've actually got a few Bushnell and can certainly put one on. The ideal scope would just look a little vintage, but modern glass. I also have a old Weaver K-4 and a 70s Redfield Widefield, but as we all know, they just look terrible nowadays. I do appreciate your advice though. Always respected your reviews. Thanks.
    To be honest with you, if I were scoping that rifle, I would just put S&B Klassik Hungaria 6x42 on it. I do not know if they are still imported or not, but it is around $820 at Optics Trade in EU. It is optically stunning and I like the simple #4 reticle.
    An alternative would be Klassic 3-12x42, but it is a bit above your budget at ~$1300.
    These older S&B designs often fly under the radar, but they are very good if not as full featured as many modern scopes. 3-12x42 with illuminated P3L reticle is very capable despite lack of side focus.

ILya

To be honest with you, if I were scoping that rifle, I would just put S&B Klassik Hungaria 6x42 on it. I do not know if they are still imported or not, but it is around $820 at Optics Trade in EU. It is optically stunning and I like the simple #4 reticle.
    An alternative would be Klassic 3-12x42, but it is a bit above your budget at ~$1300.
    These older S&B designs often fly under the radar, but they are very good if not as full featured as many modern scopes. 3-12x42 with illuminated P3L reticle is very capable despite lack of side focus.

ILya
    Thank you. Those are excellent suggestions that I would not have thought of myself. My original post was a little in jest, as I thought it was an impossible request. I'm quite glad now I posted. Much appreciated.

Reactions: lash
    A thread where we ask Koshkin quick questions, to get a quick opinion from him? I'm in!

I have one for you: Looking for a "lower cost" option/high value (I know, those terms are a touch cliche) scope for the wife.

Use Case/Requirements:
    - 6.5 CM rifle
    - 1000 yards and under
    - At least 16-18 Magnification
    - No Chinese scopes (personal constraint)

Options that I am considering so far:
    - Brownells MPO (discontinued?)
    - Zeiss S3 (discounted sale currently)
    - Tract Toric UHD 4-25x50 (leaning towards)
    - Bushnell DMR III or XRS III

Curious to your take on it, under $1500 would be ideal.

Edit: Meotac 3-12x50 at $999.99 has me really intrigued, but I wanted a little more than 12x top end for her.

A thread where we ask Koshkin quick questions, to get a quick opinion from him? I'm in!

I have one for you: Looking for a "lower cost" option/high value (I know, those terms are a touch cliche) scope for the wife.

Use Case/Requirements:
    - 6.5 CM rifle
    - 1000 yards and under

Edit: Meotac 3-12x50 at $999.99 has me really intrigued, but I wanted a little more than 12x top end for her.
    Toric is a good option if you are OK with the weight.
    If your personal preferences run toward wider FOV, I am quite impressed with Burris XTR3i 3.3-18x50.

ILya

Not many sfp mil scopes around, but here’s one that hasn’t been mentioned yet. I’m not sure how the glass competes with the Nightforce 2.5-10x42, which is a known excellent scope, but maybe Koshkin knows. I wish Leupold would make it in the 2-10x42 as it’s around 16 oz, but it appears they don’t.

Reactions: FredHammer
    Toric is a good option if you are OK with the weight.
    If your personal preferences run toward wider FOV, I am quite impressed with Burris XTR3i 3.3-18x50.

ILya
    And according to another member here Burris is bad. Interesting….

And according to another member here Burris is bad. Interesting….
    There is always someone with a beef against someone else. Sometimes deserved. Sometimes not.
    I stopped trying to psychoanalyze those. I have XTR3i 3.3-18x50 and XTR Pro 5.5-30x56 and I am very happy with both of them.
    I have used Burris customer service twice within the last decade. Once under my name and once under a fake name and a friend's address. Both times, it was a smooth and easy process both times.
    All I can do is report what I see. Others may see differently.

ILya

Koshkindamus,
    When TF is Blaser or GPO going to release their FFP 2.8-20x50 with a modern reticle? Thx
    No clue whatsoever. Blaser/Minox completely ghosted me around three years ago and I have not made an effort to figure out why. With GPO, I just havn't had time. They have a pretty decent reticle in the 4.5-27x50 GPOTAC. Perhaps, it will propagate into other designs.

ILya

Reactions: Bravo6 and lash
    There is always someone with a beef against someone else. Sometimes deserved. Sometimes not.
    I stopped trying to psychoanalyze those. I have XTR3i 3.3-18x50 and XTR Pro 5.5-30x56 and I am very happy with both of them.
    I have used Burris customer service twice within the last decade. Once under my name and once under a fake name and a friend's address. Both times, it was a smooth and easy process both times.
    All I can do is report what I see. Others may see differently.

ILya
    I’m gonna be getting one of them XTR3is shortly and it’s a hell of a scope for the money.

It works, it tracks, and it’s semi cheap for a poor. A lot of boxes checked.

I have an XTR3i 3.3-18 and a T6xi 3-18x56, very happy with both. I was fortunate enough to score them for a steal during liberty’s last big sale before the collapse.

Leupold Mk4 3.5-10 TMR with M5 knobs.

I just looked through all the reticles Leupold offers these days……..dang, they really need to get the grey hairs out of the boardroom. At least they now offer .1 mil knobs with the TMR reticle, unlike my old MK4. Frankly, I would rather have the old army mil dot. I wonder if they put Mildot Masters in each box? They should. I really want to like them as the glass is decent and from what I hear the CDS system works well, but their reticle selection is lacking.

Last edited:

Use Case/Requirements:
    - 6.5 CM rifle
    - 1000 yards and under

Add the Trijicon TenMile 3-18….