• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Kowa eyepiece generations/differences in optics quality or coatings

CavReconScout

Gunny Segeant
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jul 18, 2013
    Illinois
    I have an older Kowa TSN-611 with the original 25X LER eyepiece. I like the field of view and eye relief, but can't help but wonder if the eyepiece lens coatings, optic quality, etc haven't been improved since it was purchased. I want to purchase a new eyepiece, but am not sure if I gain anything with a new 25X LER, or if I should go with a new 30X WA and just keep the 25LER. Also, I found a deal on a TSN 20X WA which would be great, but I think it is also an older lens (although NIW) and am not sure if it would lose anything against a newer eyepiece. I know the 20-60 has been redone, but the listed eye relief is really short and I wear eyeglasses, so I'm not sure if that is an option. Can any of the resident Kowa users help?

I will be using this for range use, primarily out to 600-800yds, with occasional use to 1000yds. In addition, I plan to purchase a phone skope adapter to mount to the lens. I will also be using this on occasion for my job as LEO.

I used the search function with the term "Kowa" but did not find any answers to this.

Last edited:
    I have an older Kowa TSN-611 with the original 25X LER eyepiece. I like the field of view and eye relief, but can't help but wonder if the eyepiece lens coatings, optic quality, etc haven't been improved since it was purchased. I want to purchase a new eyepiece, but am not sure if I gain anything with a new 25X LER, or if I should go with a new 30X WA and just keep the 25LER. Also, I found a deal on a TSN 20X WA which would be great, but I think it is also an older lens (although NIW) and am not sure if it would lose anything against a newer eyepiece. I know the 20-60 has been redone, but the listed eye relief is really short and I wear eyeglasses, so I'm not sure if that is an option. Can any of the resident Kowa users help?

I will be using this for range use, primarily out to 600-800yds, with occasional use to 1000yds. In addition, I plan to purchase a phone skope adapter to mount to the lens. I will also be using this on occasion for my job as LEO.

I used the search function with the term "Kowa" but did not find any answers to this.

I Googled "has Kowa improved their spotting scope eyepieces" and came up with this from the optics planet website, indicating that Kowa has updated eyepieces since your 611 was made. Whether or not the particular eyepiece you are considering is an improved version, a carefully worded Google search may yield more pertinent results.

"Interchangeable Eyepieces for Kowa 66mm / 60mm High Performace Spotting Scopes can also be used with:
    •Kowa 77mm Spotting Scopes
    •Kowa TS-610 Series 60mm Scopes
    •TSN 82SV Kowa 82mm Spotting Scopes

Note: does not fit older Kowa 821, 822, 823, 824 scopes.

Choose for your Kowa Spotting Scope one of the Kowa Interchangeable Eyepieces with a wide apparent field of view (greater than 60°) if you don't wear thick glasses and want to be "swimming in field". This will provide you with more real field for a given magnification than can ever be had from a zoom eyepiece, allowing easier subject tracking with the benefit of more observable detail thanks to the increase in magnification.

If you have to wear thick glasses, select a Kowa Spotting Scope Eyepiece with long eye relief. These have a profoundly-long distance between the rear element and the location which your pupil can be while still being able to observe the entire field of view. Naturally, this comes at the cost of less apparent field of view, but if you must wear glasses or sunglasses it is the most comfortable option for use.

Kowa TSE-Z9B 20-60x zoom for Kowa TSN-660 and TSN-600 (66 and 60mm) Spotting Scopes replaces Kowa TSE-Z4 eyepiece. Kowa Z9B Zoom Eyepiece has been completely redone and has nothing in common with its predecessor, it is a completely new eyepiece. Kowa TSE Z9B Spotting Scope Zoom Eyepiece has better specs, better clarity, has twist-up eyecups, and also incorporates the new zooming mechanism that is in Kowa TSE-Z7C Zoom Eyepiece."

here's a link to the product page.
    Kowa Interchangeable Eyepieces for Kowa 66mm / 60mm / 82SV Spotting Scopes FREE S&H TE-9Z, TE-17HD, TE-14WD. Kowa Spotting Scope Accessories.

Joe

This old article may be of some interest. The view through the Liberty Optic: SHOT Show Day 3: Petal to the Metal

However, the really big news was Josh Lazenby (Kowa product manager) whipping out a mildot reticle 30x eyepiece for the Prominar 77mm and 88mm spotter. I've said the Prominar Kowa spotters are the best in the world (because they are) but the one hole in the game was lack of a reticle'd eyepiece for us tactical guys. While it was "only" a mildot reticle, the fact I was even shown this is a huge step in the right direction. My suggestion: Make it a more sophisticated mil-scale reticle for spotting and put it in a LER eyepiece for range use and I'm all in. Listen up: All you fellow shooters and Hide members, if you would like to see this happen, email Josh at Joshua(at)kowa.com and politely tell him this would be of interest. Use your collective marketing power and you can/will make this happen. We need to encourage manufacturers to come off the fence. Here's a golden opportunity. Thanks.

Thanks for the replies. It would be great if Kowa would offer a mil reticle for these spotting scopes. Reading the info from Optics planet it does appear they have upgraded the eyepieces. Anybody updated theirs and noticed an improvement?

Last edited: