• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Kowa Highlander Prominar Fluorite Observation binoculars

Fursniper

Captain, USMM (retired)
Minuteman
Feb 13, 2017
Arizona
I got a chance to use a set of these today for the 1st time, unfreakingbelievable how easy these are to spot with. Using the 32x eyepieces, shooting steel at 2500 yds, (375CT) hits were visible with 350 SMK's as was target movement and misses were well defined. Hits with solids were not visible however (@2500) on target but target movement was. It seems weird but the mirage was so clear and well defined with these that it was much easer to estimate wind speed. Field of view was jaw dropping. MY QUESTION: for anyone with a set of these, are the 50x eyepieces worth the price of admission (about $1200)?? Planning on 3000yds so wondering if the investment is worth it.

Ask Litz. I know he has one. The AMU also has one. If either has the 50x, I do not know.
Alan

How does one contact him? I know he posts here once in awhile and I'd send him a PM but have no idea what hid Hide name is.

So you peaked my interest and I had to look them up. Well, all I can say is, Holy moly! My checkbook just took off for Tijuana with my bank account!

Now, I am a big fan of Kowa optics and have an old TN-2 that is my staple for spotting at matches, but I'm just a poor cuss with champagne tastes. That binocular is two high end spotters attached together. Please don't let me look through them.

So you peaked my interest and I had to look them up. Well, all I can say is, Holy moly! My checkbook just took off for Tijuana with my bank account!

Now, I am a big fan of Kowa optics and have an old TN-2 that is my staple for spotting at matches, but I'm just a poor cuss with champagne tastes. That binocular is two high end spotters attached together. Please don't let me look through them.

LOL! yeah they are spectacular & make the ELR stuff way more fun 'cause you can actually see what the heck's happening. Come on out to Arizona Lash and we'll tie ya to a chair and make you look through 'em! BTW, I'm going AI on the Lapua.

Seriously?? An AI? It's on my list for sometime. Which one?

And I'd love to get out to Az for some ELR fun.

Oh, .338 AI. How much improvement does that net you?

Well, it's still in the build stage (waiting on an A5 Supermag from McMillian) but based on my smith's rifle, with solids it should get me out to 2500 with a decent hit percentage, at least at the DA I'm shooting at. The CT I've been shooting gets to 2500 and beyond easily, amazing really. But I'm starting at this point, if I just absolutely can't stand being limited at 2500 I'll get my own CT build done eventually I suppose. The ammo costs are pretty significant for the CT though. Not that the lapua is cheap as you know. The regular 338 is pretty darn good out to 2000, so the AI adds about another 4-500 yds and 100-150fps but "your results may vary", barrel length, load, etc. It's just that I normally don't shoot less than 1k with the short actions anymore, was getting bored and the boomers add anothet level of challenge, testosterone and adrenaline to the day! At my level of decrepitness I need all the "juice" I can get lol.

There are some other brands besides Kowa making these big eyes but until today I didn't had a chance to check any of them out

Only thing I know is that they all cost . . . some bucks !

Last edited:
There are some other brands besides Kowa making these big eyes but until today I didn't had a chance to check any of them out

Only thing I know is that they all cost . . . some bucks !

BTW, sent a PM to B. Litz a couple weeks ago but never got a response but thanks again for the link.
I hear ya on the cost, the most painless way to get a set is to go together with one or two other elr guys you shoot with, then it's much more doable.

I got a chance to use a set of these today for the 1st time, unfreakingbelievable how easy these are to spot with. Using the 32x eyepieces, shooting steel at 2500 yds, (375CT) hits were visible with 350 SMK's as was target movement and misses were well defined. Hits with solids were not visible however (@2500) on target but target movement was. It seems weird but the mirage was so clear and well defined with these that it was much easer to estimate wind speed. Field of view was jaw dropping. MY QUESTION: for anyone with a set of these, are the 50x eyepieces worth the price of admission (about $1200)?? Planning on 3000yds so wondering if the investment is worth it.

I have BigEyz made of 2 Swarovski 65 mm tubes. They are Very special to me with 30 Wide Angle eyepieces. I also have a set of 45 power eyepieces that I have mounted maybe twice and they did not work as well for up to 1500. I will be trying them soon at more distance as I will be playing the ELR game at distances previously unavailable to me. These eyepieces cost a lot so I hope I finally find something they are well suited for something. High unlikely that they will work better except early am and late pm during warm months.The objectives are limiting factors and may reduce the capability the 45's. I also have a single 20-60 that I have had no use for because the twin 30's work so well sos far.

BTW, sent a PM to B. Litz a couple weeks ago but never got a response but thanks again for the link.
I hear ya on the cost, the most painless way to get a set is to go together with one or two other elr guys you shoot with, then it's much more doable.
Litz is probably busy trying to beat everyone already before the Ko2M is shot . . .

It might work buying a binocular in group but I love to have my own equipment
We all know how things - might - turn out . . . and that only makes it more expensive

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I have BigEyz made of 2 Swarovski 65 mm tubes.
I have been reading about brackets made for this setup

Actually I really want to see how the Kowa / competitor brands perform in the mirage here down South

It's a 5k investment . . . and finally they are designed as nightscopes !

Anyone out here in SoCal who owns and uses one of the Kowa's - or one of the other brands ?

Send me a PM please !

Last edited:
I have BigEyz made of 2 Swarovski 65 mm tubes. They are Very special to me with 30 Wide Angle eyepieces. I also have a set of 45 power eyepieces that I have mounted maybe twice and they did not work as well for up to 1500. I will be trying them soon at more distance as I will be playing the ELR game at distances previously unavailable to me. These eyepieces cost a lot so I hope I finally find something they are well suited for something. High unlikely that they will work better except early am and late pm during warm months.The objectives are limiting factors and may reduce the capability the 45's. I also have a single 20-60 that I have had no use for because the twin 30's work so well sos far.
Question :
Why did the 45x did not work as well ?
Is mirage the problem or . . . ?
I know that the Swarovski eyepieces cost a lot but so do the Leica eyepieces
Being a rookie in these big eyes I only read that the Leica and the Zeiss - are the one of the best eyepieces on the market

I would think that the zoom eyepieces might be the best solution
Although the fixed ones will still be better if you go high end at least

Anyway I need to find a solution and something that works . . .

The Swarovski BTX is nice since it is a mono converted into a binocular

The Swarovski STR80 has the reticle but is a mono . . .

Nice toys . . . at a price . . . you just need the pick the right one !

Sent from my SM-T377T using Tapatalk

Last edited:
So I have my solution for ELR !

Called my friend / owner of APM in Germany and this is the result

He send me an APM 100mm ED-Apo - 45 degrees

And 2 sets of eyepieces - 9mm and 18mm

Thats makes this bino into a 30x and 61x magnification monster or 1500 mm / 3050 mm !

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com\/20170615\/2561358d471d8ba0f3478e17013ba1d3.jpg"}[/IMG2]
[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com\/20170615\/0b840424c0ce6ab3054ee485fd04d8f9.jpg"}[/IMG2]

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/i1070.photobucket.com\/albums\/u484\/Kingair001\/APM\/20170614_130123_zpstht4bjpc.jpg"}[/IMG2]

Last edited: